Options

*ENTRY* Thread DSS #91 (ice) CLOSED

sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
edited December 13, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge #91

Welcome to Round #91 of the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenges. This challenge is open to any Dgrin member.
It will run from Monday, November 28th, 9:00pm PST time (GMT -7) on through Monday, December 12, 9:00pm PST time (GMT -7).

The topic ready for your interpretation: ice
K
Are you cold yet?

There are no editing restrictions in this round.

Your Judge:
1 round 72 Hour Public Vote.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Your entry is to be submitted directly into a SmugMug gallery. It's pretty simple, just go to the gallery link below, and follow the upload instructions at the top of the page: Remember, the basics stay the same: 1 entry per person, and the photo must be fresh, taken during this contest period. Do not use a minimal save method (such as "save for web"), and your EXIF will be embedded in your image, no worries!

To avoid disqualification, read, in full, the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge Rules.

Comments

• Options
    TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2011
    Ice? That's discrimation!

Icy scenes may be on y'all's plate, but it's in the 70s here in the Orlando area. I had to mow my grass over the weekend.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2011
    TonyCooper wrote: »

Icy scenes may be on y'all's plate, but it's in the 70s here in the Orlando area. I had to mow my grass over the weekend.

Do you own a freezer?
  • Options
    DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2011

There must be a lot of iced drinks still being served. Guess it is time to start praying for a freeze
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2011
    It is a shame to have this Topic so early before many of us that would have outdoor ice have any chance of it. Even the southern hemisphere is moving into summertime. Another month or so and we'd likely hav ea broader sellection of images with less from the freezer and jewelry box and more from Mother Nature! thumb.gif I'm sure there will still be lots of great entries, but I'll find it a lot harder to get fresh versions of some of my classics.

272567363_vW7qK-S-1.jpg1163530298_a7Av4-S-2.jpg

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2011
    You're really challenging us with this. rolleyes1.gif

It'll be interesting to see how folks will think outside the box on this one.
  • Options
    JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2011

I'm in Northern Illinois.....no ice here yet either. Guess I'll be on the lookout for some ice of the man made variety.
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • Options
    KavKav Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited November 29, 2011
    This is going to be very hard for me. I live less then 11* north of the equator. I wonder what I can come up with...
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,948 moderator
    edited November 29, 2011
    We can think of "ice" in ways apart from that cold stuff we may see in wintery weather or put in our drinks. What kinds of behaviors might strike us as cold or "icy"?
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2011
    Just for the record. There is no snow or ice outside where I live either. This time of year is mostly rain here.
    The last time I checked we called this a "challenge". Later in the year may have resulted in more outdoor ice than we will see but I would love to see some of you use your imagination on this one.

Ice can mean or be many things, not just a wintery scene.
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2011
    sherstone wrote: »
    Just for the record. There is no snow or ice outside where I live either. This time of year is mostly rain here.
    The last time I checked we called this a "challenge". Later in the year may have resulted in more outdoor ice than we will see but I would love to see some of you use your imagination on this one.

For sure, We'll just get more jewelry and demeanor and icebox images, maybe!

:D

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    JennJenn Registered Users Posts: 1,009 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2011

I should have done my Family Jewels photo for this challenge! Laughing.gif
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    Panasonic Lumix 10x DMC-TZ3 :photo
    Leica Mega O.I.S./28mm WIDE :smile6
  • Options
    SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2011
    Just put some ice in your whine!
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2011
    SeascapeS wrote: »
    Just put some ice in your whine!

They make some great ice wine around these parts. thumb.gif
  • Options
    kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,276 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2011
    Perfect timing, Sean. While I live in MN where there is ice-aplenty most of the year, I'm visiting my parents this week in FL and all I see is oranges and sunshine! Hmmmm, may have to order an icy beverage later.
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • Options
    KavKav Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited November 30, 2011

I should clarify, by saying ice is hard to come by here. I was also saying "challenge accepted." :D
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2011
    richtersl wrote: »
    It'll be interesting to see how folks will think outside the box on this one.

You mean Ice Box, right?
    tom wise
  • Options
    sweetharmonysweetharmony Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2011
    Some ideas! Like the idea of making hoar frost.......
    http://www.its.caltech.edu/~atomic/snowcrystals/frost/frost.htm
  • Options
    kwickerskwickers Registered Users Posts: 310 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2011
    Sean, I noticed at the top of this page you have the OLD challenge # listed.
    Welcome to Round #90
    instead of #91

On a separate note, I see postings from Smugmug on my Facebook about lots of give-a-ways and plugs for Bay Photo etc... Can you request the SmugMug Facebook team put some posts out there about the DGRIN Challenges? Maybe offer some of that Loot (Smugmug stuff) to give away. I think it would drum up some new participants in the Challenges. I just passed my one year mark of participating in the Challenges, I think they are great fun and a learning tool. I think there may be more SmugMug users who are unaware of the Digital Grin side of SmugMug. I think the more the merrier in this forum! Keith
    Photos.KeithWickersham.com
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,948 moderator
    edited December 2, 2011
    Some ideas! Like the idea of making hoar frost.......
    http://www.its.caltech.edu/~atomic/snowcrystals/frost/frost.htm

Thanks, Leah! Great ideas here!
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2011
    kwickers wrote: »
    Sean, I noticed at the top of this page you have the OLD challenge # listed. instead of #91

On a separate note, I see postings from Smugmug on my Facebook about lots of give-a-ways and plugs for Bay Photo etc... Can you request the SmugMug Facebook team put some posts out there about the DGRIN Challenges? Maybe offer some of that Loot (Smugmug stuff) to give away. I think it would drum up some new participants in the Challenges. I just passed my one year mark of participating in the Challenges, I think they are great fun and a learning tool. I think there may be more SmugMug users who are unaware of the Digital Grin side of SmugMug. I think the more the merrier in this forum! Keith

Fixed! Thanks,

Re: FB, I will point them to your request.
  • Options
    SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2011
    angevin1 wrote: »
    You mean Ice Box, right?

Hee hee.

Even 'up here' in Canada we are having an exceptionally warm December. It's 10C at the moment and rain is predicted for the rest of the week.

Now, what's in my freezer.....ne_nau.gif
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited December 4, 2011
    just got back from being gone from home for over a month. My vacation was unexpectantly detoured to California as my big brother has passed away. Anyhow, since I missed the last dss challenge (first time in a very long time), I was excited to see while I was still in CA that the theme was ice, because the weather in AK had been reported as sub zero temps and snow. But then as I got on the plan to come home....alas the temps are up in the 40f and its raining! Just like when we left! Such unusual weather for us...now its predicted to be in the twenties tomorrow. One can only hope that all this rain will cause lots of ice by tonight!
  • Options
    RocketlilyRocketlily Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited December 4, 2011
    Finally, a reason to be living in Alberta. It's -7C ( 20 F ) and later this week a high of -14C ( 7 F ). Looking forward to this one.
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2011
    JAG wrote: »
    just got back from being gone from home for over a month.
    Welcome back! So sorry about your brother.
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2011
    Finally came up with an idea for my entry. I actually got in before the last day this time.:D

I really like how these challenges make you think about the subject matter. thumb.gif
  • Options
    LatinoooLatinooo Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited December 11, 2011
    Can I use one of my 2 years old white photo's ?? I'm in place that there is no white at all :)
    I'm not a pro, so I'm learning..

I'm not nothing, so I am who I am ..

Here is my place
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2011
    Latinooo wrote: »
    Can I use one of my 2 years old white photo's ?? I'm in place that there is no white at all :)

Sorry no.
  • Options
    El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2011
    Ice
    Hmmmmmmmm....maybe I have this whole ICE thing wrong!!??

Maybe I shall skip this challenge. ne_nau.gif

Good luck to all.
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2011
    El Gato wrote: »
    Hmmmmmmmm....maybe I have this whole ICE thing wrong!!??

Maybe I shall skip this challenge. ne_nau.gif

Good luck to all.

I don't know, it worked for me.....deal.gif:D
  • Options
    powderpowder Registered Users Posts: 84 Big grins
    edited December 12, 2011
    No time to play this round..I would have gone with ice as in icing on a gingerbread house, or a cake, or cookies! No weather restrictions there.