Romance and Red

jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
edited December 5, 2011 in People
A few more to share from this set.

1-
i-c7tM79N-XL.jpg

2- Ive left plenty room around them here for a variety of crop options. 580EXII through a 45 inch white shoot through at camera left. Fired via Canon STE2. 50D plus 70-200 F2.8L IS.

i-jvvGpQS-XL.jpg

3-
i-wJbjwDn-XL.jpg

4-
i-jRnwGcb-XL.jpg

Comments

• D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2011
    Nice, I pref. #3. It has the strongest expression
    A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2011
    Your usual beautiful work, Jeff - you just NAIL exposures and processing.

I think 2 is my favorite from this batch, although in this monitor it doesn't look "warm" but a bit orange (I know you like shots warm, but this one is quite different skintones from the others). I really like #1, I just wish she weren't wearing that purple shirt - her bright hair and his shirt tone well, but the purple does jar a bit.
  • JoiJoiJoiJoi Registered Users Posts: 108 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2011
    #1 and #3 are great... nice captures.

Joi Cohen-Haroun
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2011
    divamum wrote: »
    Your usual beautiful work, Jeff - you just NAIL exposures and processing.

I think 2 is my favorite from this batch, although in this monitor it doesn't look "warm" but a bit orange (I know you like shots warm, but this one is quite different skintones from the others). I really like #1, I just wish she weren't wearing that purple shirt - her bright hair and his shirt tone well, but the purple does jar a bit.

Diva. Thanks for commenting. I usually dont get super upset with clothing color, except for cases of wild gaudy colors or prints that really steal the show. Even then, a well done monotone conversion can be a cure all. In this case you are right. The clothing color is fighting my urge to showcase her red hair. I surely have some fine black and whites but the red hair is not an exclamation point in those. I WAS VERY disappointed to se ONLY short sleeved tops for the both of them in the wardrobe choices. And after we specifically talked about long sleeves. Not much to be done about that unfortunately.

On 2. A natural light shot there is nearly i
    Possible to white balance. I have learned to shoot there only with a light and umbrella and that at a strong enough power to beat the orangeness back a bit. True to my normal method I gel the flash with a CTB (blue) gell to correct the flash color temp to that of the shade I work in. Whats left after setting wbite balance for that shade is the orange glow reflected off the wall. The skin tones passed the Jeff test at home! Lol.

Thanks again for commenting.
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2011
    Really nice work, Jeff. #3 is stunning, but I'd be proud to call any of them mine....
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2011
    One thing I've sometimes done with colour clashes like that is to tweak the "one of these things is not like the other" just enough to tone it in. You could try moving the magenta/purple slider just a little more to the red side OR moving it towards blue (probably the better choice in this case) so the purple is more like the "neutral" of the jeans; if you're lucky, she'll think it's just the light which "modified" the colour of her shirt :D Doesn't always work (and if she's married to the colour you won't be able to get away with it), but it can sometimes adjust just enough to nudge it back into "harmonious". thumb.gif
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2011
    Really like 2 & 3!!!!! 1 & 4 on my monitor seem to have some hot spots that distract.
  • SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2011
    My preference (in terms of genuine facial expressions) is number 3. Although you don't see her glorious red curls in the b&w, the faces are more relaxed and natural looking.

Personally (and i am a curly red head - or at least I was when I was younger) I don't like #2 with red hair on red brick - I think it loses its punch, although I really like the expression on the guy's face.
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada