Options

Girl playing violin.

jirojiro Registered Users Posts: 1,865 Major grins
edited December 7, 2011 in People
Kate practicing her violin lessons.

6436702175_2a312fc3b5_b.jpg
Nikon D70, 50mm lens, ISO 800, f/2.2 @ 1/320 second.

Got some time to bring the camera with me while waiting for Kate to finish her music lesson at school. I asked the teacher if he could allow me to take some shots of my kid and he gladly said yes.

I decided to shoot this one at ISO 800 based on what I've read about some wedding photographers shooting at ISO 800 using only common available light. I knew that my Nikon D70 doesn't perform that good at ISO 800 being "noisy" but I don't mind. What I am after is the feel of the situation and the only way I can do that is to shoot at a higher ISO so I can have some control on the shutter speed. I decided to go with B&W even before I shot this one since the inherent noise grain would look better on the conversion.

The music booth is really small. It's about 7 feet wide by 9 feet deep and 8 feet high. To make the situation worse, I brought along a 50mm lens (equivalent to a 75mm lens since the Nikon D70 is a DX camera with a 1.5X crop factor) instead of the other 18-70mm lens. The room was lit by a fluorescent fixture on the ceiling so there is not much dramatic lighting that I was hoping for with available light. I love the personality of the 50mm lens specially at f/2. It gives me that good subject to background separation that I can't get with the 18-70mm due to its smaller aperture limit of f/4.5. Luckily, the small, upright piano inside the music booth has less than 2 feet of space from a wall so I squeezed myself on that space to capture Kate's face and the full length of the violin. That's how tight the space was. I wish I have the new 35mm f/1.8G lens that Nikon sells. That would give me an almost true 50mm lens coverage on my subject.

Thanks for viewing.
Sitting quietly, doing nothing. Spring comes and the grass grows by itself.

http://imagesbyjirobau.blogspot.com/

Comments

• Options
    photogreenphotogreen Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2011
    i like the composition. also really dig the background in this shot. thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2011
    photogreen wrote: »
    i like the composition. also really dig the background in this shot. thanks for sharing!

Thanks, too photogreen for dropping by and viewing my work. thumb.gif

• Options
    Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2011
    Now this is a spectacular shot, jiro. A smaller aperture may have helped make this image sharper, though.
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2011
    Now this is a spectacular shot, jiro. A smaller aperture may have helped make this image sharper, though.

Thanks Quincy. I will try to shoot with a smaller aperture next time. While checking my images I was surprised to realized that I got 1/320 second shutter speed on this shot. The fluorescent fixture inside the small music booth must be really bright. Thanks for your comment and for dropping by.

• Options
    BrettDeutschBrettDeutsch Registered Users Posts: 365 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2011
    I think the wide open aperture works. If you have enough light, I'd lower the ISO more instead.
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2011
    Thanks, Brett. I'll keep that in mind. This shot came from a test series shot with me testing how my old Nikon D70 would work at ISO 800. Now that I know it can work at that setting, I can certainly shoot lower then 800. Cheers.

• Options
    jpcjpc Registered Users Posts: 840 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2011
    There's no drama here. Next time, try shooting from off-axis rather than straight-on. Everyone sees her play from this vantage point, so it's not really interesting. Shoot from her left, with the violin in the foreground. Use a wide-open aperture and focus on her face.
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2011
    jpc wrote: »
    There's no drama here. Next time, try shooting from off-axis rather than straight-on. Everyone sees her play from this vantage point, so it's not really interesting. Shoot from her left, with the violin in the foreground. Use a wide-open aperture and focus on her face.

Thanks for your opinion and suggestions. She's about 2 feet away from the main door on her back and about 2 feet away from the left wall (relative to my position). The room is a 7 feet wide X 9 feet deep music booth. There is an upright piano about 2 feet deep on the other end of the music booth and that is where I am shooting at. In between me and her, there is her teacher sitting evaluating her bow movement and the tone of the note she's producing. In fairness, I think this vantage point can only go this far considering I only have a 50mm lens to work with at that time. Your suggestion sounds very interesting. I'll try to incorporate that on my next shots and bring my other 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX lens next time so I can find out if your suggestion is possible. Thank you very much.