Appraisal

jmp2204jmp2204 Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
edited December 5, 2011 in House of Canon
Hi Folks , i really want a 70-200mm l is.I photogragh everything from potarit (my kids ) to wildlife and sports.I am a hobbiest growing more serious about photography.However i cannot afford to just go out and purchase one of there lenses , I was fortunate enough to have the use of a V-1 last year for a couple weekends for hockey .As you know it was outstanding. So i need to sell a couple lenses to make up some of the difference.

I have a 70-300mm is usm and a 100mm 1.2 macro

What are they worth?

Thanks kevin

Comments

• jmp2204jmp2204 Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2011
    jmp2204 wrote: »
    Hi Folks , i really want a 70-200mm l is.I photogragh everything from potarit (my kids ) to wildlife and sports.I am a hobbiest growing more serious about photography.However i cannot afford to just go out and purchase one of there lenses , I was fortunate enough to have the use of a V-1 last year for a couple weekends for hockey .As you know it was outstanding. So i need to sell a couple lenses to make up some of the difference.

I have a 70-300mm is usm and a 100mm 1.2 macro

What are they worth?

Thanks kevin
    both is great condidtion
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2011
    The 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM is worth somewhere around $400. There isn't a 100mm f/1.2 macro, so I'll assume you mean f/2.8 macro (it would say 1:2.8 on the lens). If that's the lens, then it's also worth about $400. Unfortunately, that's not going to get you enough to buy a 70-200 f/2.8 IS. I'd suggest buying the 70-200 f/4L non-IS. It's the same quality, it's just not f/2.8 and does not have IS. It's a great lens for portraits and sports, and is capable of some wildlife. Try one out - I think you'll be impressed.
  • jmp2204jmp2204 Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2011
    The 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM is worth somewhere around $400. There isn't a 100mm f/1.2 macro, so I'll assume you mean f/2.8 macro (it would say 1:2.8 on the lens). If that's the lens, then it's also worth about $400. Unfortunately, that's not going to get you enough to buy a 70-200 f/2.8 IS. I'd suggest buying the 70-200 f/4L non-IS. It's the same quality, it's just not f/2.8 and does not have IS. It's a great lens for portraits and sports, and is capable of some wildlife. Try one out - I think you'll be impressed.
    Thanks ,typo on the 1.2 .I knew it was a 2.8. Yes I realize I will have to pay upward to get the 70-200 L,Shooting hockey ,can I get away without the IS?
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2011
    jmp2204 wrote: »
    Thanks ,typo on the 1.2 .I knew it was a 2.8. Yes I realize I will have to pay upward to get the 70-200 L,Shooting hockey ,can I get away without the IS?

Yep, IS is pretty much useless if the subject is moving.
  • RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2011
    Yep, IS is pretty much useless if the subject is moving.
    Canon offers two IS modes. Panning (following the moving subject) with mode 2 restricts horizontal IS which could still be beneficial in low light.
    January 16th, 2007, 02:16 PM

Every Canon SLR lens that has an Image Stabilizer built in has two so-called "gyro sensors" oriented at right angles to each other. With this design, the level of IS functionality is the same whether the camera is in landscape or portrait orientation. When the camera is in portrait orientation, the level of IS functionality is the same whether the hand grip of the camera is on the top or the bottom.

In all of these cases, IS lenses that have a Mode 2 setting operate as follows when Mode 2 is selected: Both gyro sensors sample the direction and amplitude of lens shake simultaneously and continuously whenever the IS system is activated. The resulting data is analyzed by a dedicated microcomputer in the lens, and that microcomputer in turn controls the behavior of the electromagnets surrounding the movable optical components of the IS lens. These electromagnets are also oriented at right angles to each other. If the lens is set to Mode 2 *and* the microcomputer determines that intentional panning is taking place, it shuts off stabilization in the panning direction regardless of camera orientation. If, on the other hand, the microcomputer does not detect intentional panning, then horizontal and vertical stabilization is executed simultaneously, just as it is in Mode 1.

Canon anticipates that in most cases, the camera and lens will be held either horizontally or vertically, in order to keep horizon lines straight in the resulting picture. In such cases, the typical behavior of the IS system is covered by the explanation above. If, on the other hand, the panning direction is diagonal with respect to the orientation of the gyro sensors, and Mode 2 is selected, there is a possibility that the level of panning detected by each gyro sensor will be sufficient to cause the microcomputer in the lens to shut off stabilization in both directions at once. Since the decision to shut off stabilization in Mode 2 is made by the microcomputer, there is no overt way for the photographer to control it.

Let me know if this helps to answer your question.

Best Regards,

Chuck Westfall
    Director/Media & Customer Relationship
    Camera Marketing Group/Canon U.S.A., Inc.