Question on Canon Professional Service

RedSoxRedSox Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
edited December 30, 2011 in Cameras
I am sure lots of folks here are members. So you guys might can help me out.

I need to get my 70-200 f2.8 IS cleaned and calibrated. I called the Canon, the lady told me minimum $260.00 plus shipping and tax. If there is anything else needs to be repaired (which I believe not) than the price would go up. They will call me before the extra repair.

I saw Gold membership offers 2 free clean & check coupons (is this yearly or one time?), 30% off repair cost and free return shipping. Sounds like a good deal to me. I have no problem to get the required 20 cps, but photography is my hobby and I don't make any money from it. So what your guys say? Can I be qualified? Is it worth to go for it?

Thanks

Eric

Comments

• JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2011
    It's worth it. Seriously... You get 2 coupons per year, so even if you pay the $100, you'll get 2 body or lens cleaning/check coupons.. WHich means they'll do the same thing as the $260 they quoted you.

CPS is worthwhile even if you are an amateur but have a ton of equipment... it pays for itself in the cleanings alone, not to mention the 30% discount on repairs when you do need them!
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2011
    Go for it. Photography is my hobby too, but I plan to join as soon as I have enough points. Gold comes with 2 free clean/check coupons YEARLY. You only get the strap, pin, and lens/body caps when you first join, but they send you 2 free clean and check coupons every year.

The question is whether the coupon includes calibration. From what I've read, it depends on their mood that day. Definitely request calibration on the coupon. Hopefully they will do it. Some people say that Canon calibrated the lens under the free clean/check (if the owner requested calibration), and some say that Canon called them back and told them they would only calibrate it for a fee.

EDIT: to answer your other question, you do qualify. They say you have to be a pro, but they only require the equipment. You used to have to show CPS where your work had been published, to prove you were a pro... back then there were no equipment requirements :)
  • JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2011
    Yeah, CPS can be VERY generous at times... I've had them do some pretty amazing things for cheap/free. Now I've been with them for going on 6 years now, but seems they do that for everyone.

Now if I can just quit dropping my damn equipment.. still have to send back my 16-35II which is in 2 pieces.. :(((
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2011
    It does state very clearly "Membership is available to individuals (self-employed or employed with a professional imaging company) who play a direct role in the creation of moving or still images on a full-time basis."

So do people just ignore that and go on gear points alone or what? I easily qualify for Gold membership points and would love that level of support. I'm self-employed, but not as a full-time photographer, so I've always assumed I wasn't eligible. Just curious how it works.
  • Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2011
    Fill out the form and see what happens. The site doesn't say you have to spend 40 hours a week pressing a shutter button. Do you work for your company (of course), does you business involve images, and do you compose and take those pictures? Your a performer but part of your business is taking pictures of other performers... isn't being a performer part of what gives you access to the stage and performers to make those pictures. Doesn't being a performer give you key insights into the creation of those images of performers and the stage?

The point is a business, whether it making sidewalks or images, is an mixture of skills and activities. Why would someone who spends 40 hours a week pushing memory cards into a Fuji print making machine qualify and you not? :D

The most Canon can do is say no.
    divamum wrote: »
    It does state very clearly "Membership is available to individuals (self-employed or employed with a professional imaging company) who play a direct role in the creation of moving or still images on a full-time basis."

So do people just ignore that and go on gear points alone or what? I easily qualify for Gold membership points and would love that level of support. I'm self-employed, but not as a full-time photographer, so I've always assumed I wasn't eligible. Just curious how it works.
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2011
    divamum wrote: »

I think I'm kind of in the same boat as you.
    I have lots of points, but don't work in the imaging business.

My 100-400 needs a good once over, this looks like a good way to save some cash, but,
    I don't want to get rejected, maybe lose the $100 sign up fee, then have to pay for the cleaning.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2011
    They still give you points for a 1V....

Even without onsidering the points for my 1V, I have enough for the Gold level. I'm in the same boat as the others, I use cameras a lot in my work, but it's secondary. The sum total of my 'professional' work is that my image editing has been on the cover of two national journals, and I've contributed a author's headshot to a foreign language journal with a readership of ~80k, but that was all work in trade, oh and contributing artwork for not-for-profit fundraising. Most of the photography for my work is just pictures with my p&s documenting field conditions. I could sure take advantage of the CPS discounts though, especially the cleanings, since i seem to have a penchant for taking photos during dust storms. It doesn't seem like they really care too strongly about proving your paycheck comes from your photography? I tried to walk through the registration, but I can't remember my Canon password, and their password reset isn't working for me right now, probably doesn't like Linux.

Their terms and conditions does have a provision for 'expelled for cause', that prohibits you from ever joining again, though.
    Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.
    edited December 5, 2011
    I'm going to try it in the next few weeks. I'll let you guys know how it goes.
    edited December 30, 2011
    Well, I joined. My loaner 100mm f2 is supposed to arrive in a few weeks. The welcome kit was great. I couldn't resist making a video :D