BREASTS, and the Bras That Support Them, as seen from a photographers point of view

kitkoskitkos Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
edited December 5, 2011 in People
(note: for those not wanting to read my ramblings scroll down to my point in ORANGE below.)

JohnGalt_ny’s latest post of “Stephanie Rocks in Leather and Leopard"
FOUND HERE made me think about something that has been on my mind for the past decade or so and I thought I would see if anyone else has noticed or been bothered by it also.

First let me say, I do not have any negative comments about John’s photos of Stephanie, they are fantastic, and I have always admired his work!
But, so as not to hijack his post with my observations I started a new one I will call...

BREASTS, and the Bras That Support Them, as seen from a photographers point of view
(I only added the part after the comma so this post wouldn’t get delete from a photography forum)

The push-up bra (“PUB” from this point on) has done wonders for cleavage* and mankind in general and has kept many women from feeling the need and expense of going through augmentations, but it always bothers me that these same women have no idea where their breasts are supposed to be located on their frame. This is even truer with ladies that HAVE augmented PLUS wear a PUB.

From what I have observed, more often than not, most women have no idea when or how to wear a PUB. In reality, this holds true for all types of bras, not just the PUB.
Let me take a moment here and insert that I am a heterosexual/non-cross-dressing male and (contrary to any pictures of me from a drunken Frat party in the late seventies that may be floating around the internet) have never worn a bra, or any other women’s clothing for that matter) But I do know quite a bit about anatomy, having made it my life’s work to become an expert in the female form including but not limited to pecs and glutes.

Enough of my rambling and on to my point…

I reiterate, this has nothing to do with John’s photographic skills, I only use one of his pictures as reference.
In John’s last picture of his series, the expression on Stephanie’s face, to me, is her most sensual and is heart stopping gorgeous, but, the fact that her breasts are unnaturally protruding from her shoulders and not from just under the armpit, where god intended they should protrude, makes them very distracting. The fact that she is adding to it by arching her back makes them look even more unnatural.
This isn't just a fault of models, I see this every day, everywhere I go, women that have no idea how to wear a bra or wearing the wrong bra for the occasion.

Examples of what I mean by the wearing the wrong bra are;
  • women that wear a push-up bra with any top that does not show cleavage* i.e. a top or sweater without a neckline - PUBs are designed to create cleavage, shoving your breast together and up high on your chest looks silly in this type of clothing.
  • women that have heavy breast that wear elastic straps as opposed to material straps. Breasts were not intended to bounce up and down as you walk (or jog). A little “give” is one thing but a Richter of 4.0 is not attractive.
  • I could go on but you get my point.

Ladies (and you male photographers that are comfortable enough to make suggestions to your models without them thinking you are more of a pervert than you actually are) please take note and pass this along, not only to your models, but also to your peers;

To look natural when wearing a bra (it will, of course, differ sans bra)
  • Looking from the side - the apex of a woman's breasts should fall half way between her elbow and the top of her shoulder.
  • The nipple should be located at a point half way between the outside of the shoulder and the near side of the neck.

*Cleavage does not happen in nature, it only happens when one’s breasts are constrained in a brassiere which pushes them together a bit, or a whole lot in many cases, while adding support.

Comments

• HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2011
    I need photos!!!
  • BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2011
    Interesting Discussion KitKos on one of my favorite subjects.mwink.gif

With all you said, the fact that you've seen it on a lot of models somewhat explains the phenomenon.

Models are nothing if not creatures of current styles and the PUB is definitely a style (if you saw the VS 2011 show this is beyond argument). This applies to everything from wardrobe, to expressions (try getting a smile out of some models) to those ultra horrible "capri" pants headscratch.gif and finally, to PUBs. Also, the PUB under sweater was responsible for the careers of many actresses in our (or at least my) youth (Jane Russell comes to mind).

I's also point out that many models are taught that raising your arms and/or arching your back lifts all boats (so to speak).

I could expand Stephanie's Cooper's tendon in liquify BUT I doubt she would appreciate my efforts.

Anyway, interesting anatomical points but I fear you may be tilting at windmills here.
    Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
    Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
    Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
    Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2011
    Hackbone wrote: »
    I need photos!!!

No kidding! :D

All jokes aside, nice post. Some really good tips. The thing with breasts though, is they come in all shapes and sizes and configurations. What looks good on one girl (ie half way between the top of the elbow and the shoulder) may not look so great on another. That's one great thing about photographing the female form. Everyone is unique and requires a slightly different approach.

That said, I'd highly recommend shooting models with the tips you mention in mind. At least get the "safety" shots (shots the client can use for sure) before experimenting and trying a more unique approach.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+