Ice #91

VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
edited December 9, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
First, thanks for the comments on my Velociraptor... I new the halo would be a problem :D sometimes I get impatient and just plain tiered of working on a shot in post that needs a lot of work, which these shots did... It was actually an advertisement for a furniture store going out of business sale (good thing I had my camera with me at the time) V words are pretty hard to find... A lot was cropped and or cloned out, adjustment and light painting layers were added to get the effect and hide the harsh mid day sun... anyway in the end it was just too much... I shot many iterations of the other side with him looking at me which I liked better, unfortunately it was directly into the sun and they just wouldn't work...

On to the next challenge! :D what do you think of these possibles... I think a frost shot lends itself better to a macro lens which I don't have... but thought I would throw these up and see what the community thinks...

1. Iced Whiskers
wiskerice-L.jpg

2. Frosty Chard
chardfrost-L.jpg

3. ?
dragonflyfrost-L.jpg

4. ?
windowfrost-L.jpg

Thanks
Winston

Comments

• billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2011
    I like # 3 the best. There's something cool about the dragonflies covered in frost - and the DOF in this shot is just enough to provide context in the background without creating a distraction.

It could use a little more punch in the (nicely exposed) highlights, and some skew correction (or a strategic crop) if you can.
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
  • kwickerskwickers Registered Users Posts: 310 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2011
    I like the dragonfly covered in ICE. and I also like the #2 with the frost, colors, and textures
    Photos.KeithWickersham.com
  • tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2011
    I like the dragonflies. The wire is the bottom corner distracted me, so I'd suggest seeing what a crop looks like.

No real frost here yet. It looks you have alaready had a big taste of winter.

chris
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.
  • VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2011
    I like the dragonflies. The wire is the bottom corner distracted me, so I'd suggest seeing what a crop looks like.

No real frost here yet. It looks you have alaready had a big taste of winter.

chris

Not so big a taste of winter yet... we do get some good frost though... The dragonfly hmmmm looks like I'll be getting out early again tomorrow to try some more dragonfly shots... thumb.gif

Winston
  • tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2011
    In the spirit of being more expressive with critique, let me elaborate:
    #1- not enough of a story. the frost is a minimal part of the image and does not make me think of ice. I do appreicate that the ice is the only part in sharp focus, tho.

#2- I wander about, not sure of the focal point. also not sure if the white is a PP effect. It also doesn't make me think of Ice.

#4- WEll, it's a nice photo, but maybe a bit too trite for me.

#3- Nice capture and the juxtaposition of the frost with the warm-weather icon draws me in. Of the 4 images, this is the only one that gives me a lasting impression. Nice detail and enough of the scene to give me a sense of place.

Chris
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.
  • FrochFroch Registered Users Posts: 571 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2011
    Detail on #2 is fabulous!
  • sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,959 moderator
    edited December 2, 2011
    I think both #2 and #3 have potential. I like the frost on the chard very much, but wonder whether you would have to move in closer to make it say "ice" to more viewers? I agree with others that #3 is appealing - especially if you get a chance to reshoot and play with it some more!

Gretchen

Edit: My preference is #2 and then #3.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2011
    Love #2! How does it look cropped in tighter from the sides - maybe even square - so it's almost an abstract?
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2011
    Love the light and texture in #2!
  • WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2011
    I like all of them.

The frost gets a bit lost in #1.

#2 is striking! I love the color and the variation in the light.

#3 is mellow.

I love the frost trails in #4.

Overall, #2, then #3 for me.
    edited December 2, 2011
    WOW! So much commentary, and so appreciated! I'm hoping for another freezing night and frosty morning... another shoot is not a problem... I might have to keep my wife from picking the chard for dinner though, at least for a couple of days... I wish it were colder though... I still might try my other idea which was to do something with dry ice... Thanks all for the insightful comments... thumb.gif

Winston
  • JennJenn Registered Users Posts: 1,009 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2011
    WOW! So much commentary, and so appreciated! I'm hoping for another freezing night and frosty morning... another shoot is not a problem... I might have to keep my wife from picking the chard for dinner though, at least for a couple of days... I wish it were colder though... I still might try my other idea which was to do something with dry ice... Thanks all for the insightful comments... thumb.gif

Winston

I can't decide which one I like best. I think #1 is cool... the ice hanging off the whiskers makes me just stare at it wondering .. "how???" lol

You can have our cold and ice... we might get some snow on monday, but it'll be short-lived if we do.
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    Panasonic Lumix 10x DMC-TZ3 :photo
    Leica Mega O.I.S./28mm WIDE :smile6
  • SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2011
    I'm an oddball (self-admitted) - I like #3 and #4. #2 seems jumbled to me and my eyes are all over the place, plus the leaves are cropped off unevenly . #4 makes me think of a cozy cottage - I love the DOF and the colors in the bg. #3 has a bit of whimsy that is appealing (but yes, the wire at the bottom left needs cropped/straightened) and I like the bg colors in that one too. Not quite sure what the large black thing is in the bottom of the frame....too bad more of the house at the top isn't showing and less of the black at the bottom.

I've gotten impatient with processing too and let things go that I shouldn't have. You just hope that no one notices but the eagle eyes here do anyway.
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2011
    I'm another oddball.... I like 1 & 4
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
    www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com
    edited December 3, 2011
    SeascapeS wrote: »
    I'm an oddball (self-admitted) - I like #3 and #4. #2 seems jumbled to me and my eyes are all over the place, plus the leaves are cropped off unevenly . #4 makes me think of a cozy cottage - I love the DOF and the colors in the bg. #3 has a bit of whimsy that is appealing (but yes, the wire at the bottom left needs cropped/straightened) and I like the bg colors in that one too. Not quite sure what the large black thing is in the bottom of the frame....too bad more of the house at the top isn't showing and less of the black at the bottom.

I've gotten impatient with processing too and let things go that I shouldn't have. You just hope that no one notices but the eagle eyes here do anyway.

Eagle eyes... yes...

The black area is a Koi pond, the building is my Wife's green house I built her 2 summers ago, it is cozy and warm during a sunny day... 4 is one of the green house windows, guess I could enter the mini with that shot... not as much frost this morning so I didn't shoot...
  • sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,959 moderator
    edited December 3, 2011
    Be fun to see #4 in the mini :D One of things I miss about our last home in the Chicago area is the frost on one of the windows in winter.

Gretchen
  • KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2011
    What about 4 as a BW? Not really sure whether it'd work, but might be worth a try...
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2011
    I love #2. I like the colors and the crispness. I would also like #4 if it had something a little more interesting going on inside the window, just out of focus. I find the blue thing (whatever it is) to be a little distracting.
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • dlsdls Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2011
    impressed with the narrow dof and the cooperation from the horse to maintain focus on the whiskers. but the colors and rendering in #2 is the standout of the bunch.