Hello

albenalben Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
edited December 3, 2011 in Holy Macro
Hello all, just joined, recently bought my first macro lens, canon 100l. I am now thinking I need a focus rail and am leaning to the Velbon mag, I am prepared to spend more if it would be worth it?

Alan

Comments

• lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2011
    alben wrote: »
    Hello all, just joined, recently bought my first macro lens, canon 100l. I am now thinking I need a focus rail and am leaning to the Velbon mag, I am prepared to spend more if it would be worth it?

Alan

A focus rail is good for static subjects .
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2011
    I would hold off purchasing one until you get used to shooting macro and then see if you need one. Many of us shoot without a tripod or focus rail.

Brian v.
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited December 3, 2011
    Hi Alan, what subjects are you intending to shoot ?
    If you are going to shoot bugs like most of us hand held shooting with flash the only way to shoot !
    Focus rail would only be usefull for high magnification shooting of still life subjects when focus stacking large numbers of frames .
    Just practise shooting first and see how u get on first , and decide what will be the main type of subjects that will interest you
  • albenalben Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited December 3, 2011
    Thank you all for the advice, I mainly hope to shoot bugs, but there are not too many around here in Essex at present, plenty of chavs. I am thinking to get some experience on bought flowers, maybe household objects. If you guys can do focus stacking on insects! hand held I will take your advice, read the stickies again and wait and see how I progress.

Regards, Alan
  • basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2011
    welcome Alan
    handheld is easier than tripod , especially for bugs , believe me
    looking forward to your first results

while browsing the stickies : pay attention to flash
    flash is really usefull for macro , more useful than tripod i d say