Options

Reuters 100 best photos of the year

michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
edited December 4, 2011 in Street and Documentary
Thought I'd share this link for the PJ junkies. Most of the images are very confronting and hopefully something we'd never have the opportunity to shoot ourselves but there are many there we might and could.

http://blogs.reuters.com/fullfocus/2011/11/21/best-photos-of-the-year-2011/

Comments

• Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2011
    good stuff, thanks.

Sorry never looked at what gear.
  • Options
    M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2011
    Amazing shots....

What I did was also take the time to read each background and caption on all the images. Many reinforced what I had read in the news, others opened my eyes to other newsworthy events around the globe which have occurred this year.

From a technical perspective (ie: learning), what I found interesting was the general across the board use of the lowest ISO possible and generally widest aperture available. I can only assume that to be in order to draw the eye to the exact focal point of the image the photographer wanted you to focus on. For the most part from what I could tell, shutter speed wasn't the primary driver (except in a few very fast action shots like the howitzer and RPG shots) in the series.

Well worth the time to grab a cup of coffee and look...

• Options
    Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2011
    M38A1 wrote: »
    Amazing shots....

What I did was also take the time to read each background and caption on all the images. Many reinforced what I had read in the news, others opened my eyes to other newsworthy events around the globe which have occurred this year.

From a technical perspective (ie: learning), what I found interesting was the general across the board use of the lowest ISO possible and generally widest aperture available. I can only assume that to be in order to draw the eye to the exact focal point of the image the photographer wanted you to focus on. For the most part from what I could tell, shutter speed wasn't the primary driver (except in a few very fast action shots like the howitzer and RPG shots) in the series.

Well worth the time to grab a cup of coffee and look...

Kinda puts those "f/8.0 and forget it" comments in perspective.
  • Options
    M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2011
    Kinda puts those "f/8.0 and forget it" comments in perspective.

Yeah, and the vast majority was all in the f/1.4-f4 range....