Options

DSS 91 - Ice Macro and Luminaria

sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,950 moderator
edited December 10, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
Have a few ideas for this challenge and hoping to settle on something (and reshoot if necessary) before leaving town. I would appreciate whatever input you can give me! Here are the contenders from the ones I have processed so far. Used the 60 mm macro for all of these shots.

1. Light Surrounded
i-QQZ2m3k-L.jpg

2. Luminaria
i-5NNrZ3P-L.jpg

3. Essence of Ice
i-vKNsGSd-L.jpg

4. Crystals
i-SLL2bPX-L.jpg

I have two favorites - one of each kind - and am curious what others think might work best for this challenge?

Thanks,
Gretchen

Comments

• Options
    OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2011
    #2 is my favorite. The appearance of a burning ice cube makes it stand out uniquely to me. Although, really, if one didn't know it were ice one would most likely think it was wax anyway :(

So... I don't really know if it'd work well contest wise. headscratch.gif

#4 for the straight forward approach, brightened up a bit.
  • Options
    edited December 4, 2011
    Thanks for your input on these. I have entered #2 for now and will try brightening up #4. I was going for something a little different with those last two and ended up with this instead - shooting up through a thin panel of ice toward the blue sky.

I have a few others from today's shoot but I think these are the most unique.

Thanks again!

Gretchen
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2011
    Two New Edits
    Wondering whether this bw edit of #2 says ice more clearly? And here is another edit of #4....

2b. Luminaria
    i-KGmgPWM-L.jpg

4b. Smooth or Rough?
    i-csXLWDN-L.jpg

Thanks,
    Gretchen
  • Options
    billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2011
    Hi Gretchen,

I'm kinda partial to #2. Not sure about the b&w conversion... have you considered something inbetween? Perhaps with a cooler color temp to accentuate the ice vs. the flame? The other question I have is about the absolute black of the background. I almost looks like you shot through a solid cut out of some kind. It might be cool if there was some very subtle shadow detail... All nits, I like the shot a lot!
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2011
    billseye wrote: »
    Hi Gretchen,

I'm kinda partial to #2. Not sure about the b&w conversion... have you considered something inbetween? Perhaps with a cooler color temp to accentuate the ice vs. the flame? The other question I have is about the absolute black of the background. I almost looks like you shot through a solid cut out of some kind. It might be cool if there was some very subtle shadow detail... All nits, I like the shot a lot!

Thanks for your input on these. I photographed these outside at twilight against a background of evergreens. I had put the luminaria on a light colored TV tray and realized later that I was getting some odd reflections there and only one branch of evergreens showing up. I darkened the bottom of the image and the evergreen branch because they seemed distracting rather than adding something to the shot.

The image that I entered does have an adjustment layer added where I took down the brightness around the luminaria - trying to get rid of one "bright" speck below the luminaria. Sounds like my fix was a mixed blessing.:D

I bracketed these shots and tended to like the darkest ones best as they seemed to bring out the details in the ice better. But I'll take another look at them tomorrow. The luminaria is back in the freezer and I can try reshooting tomorrow on a different surface. I can also redo the initial processing in lightroom, and experiment with a cooler color temperature. I have tended to leave this slider alone but can see that it might be a good solution. Thanks for suggesting it!

This was my first time making an ice luminaria, and it isn't perfect but I really like the effect.

Cheers,
    Gretchen
  • Options
    FrochFroch Registered Users Posts: 571 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2011
    Fun concept, but I'm not sure #1 or #2 are translating. I wouldn't give up on the theme.

Smooth or Rough is very cool! Not sure that would contend, but you should file it as a texture.
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2011
    Thanks, Froch. I was thinking Smooth or Rough might make a good texture sometime. Not that I've used a texture layer yet, but I'm getting closer to trying that. Are #1 and #2 not translating because the luminaria doesn't say "ice" or because the flame speaks louder?

Heading to Denver to visit my dad (who has Alzheimer's) and then going to Missouri for a couple of days, so I'm not going to have much time to work on this theme in the coming week, but will see what I can do.

Gretchen
  • Options
    GretaPicsGretaPics Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2011
    Hi Gretchen - I like #1 & #2 - the juxtaposition of two unexpected visual elements together (fire and ice) make for an interesting visual. Plus they are pretty images overall. However, although the images do highlight the particular qualities of ice my reservation would be does it say "ice" without knowing the theme. Perhaps if the background was lighter and we could see some melted areas it would be more generally recognized as ice . Otherwise I might guess that you've added a textured layer. (not that it matters except for the theme). I prefer this direction over the other offerings which don't really hold my interest. GP
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2011
    GretaPics wrote: »
    Hi Gretchen - I like #1 & #2 - your images highlight the particular qualities of ice and the juxtaposition of two unexpected visual elements together (fire and ice) making for an interesting visual. Plus they are pretty images overall. GP

Thanks, GP. Maybe "Fire and Ice" would be a good title rather than Luminaria!?
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2011
    5. Fire and Ice (blend of 2 new edits of #2)
    i-2X6DqsC-L.jpg
  • Options
    kwickerskwickers Registered Users Posts: 310 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2011
    wow I liked #2, but then I saw your cool and hot version! I love this candle buring in the cool Ice. (the 2 and 2edit combo) Very Nice!
    Photos.KeithWickersham.com
  • Options
    sweetharmonysweetharmony Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2011
    #5 all the way! The combo worked great! It has a bit of drama. I also think the texture shots are visually deluxe, but they're hard to connect "ice" with........
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2011
    Wow, Gretchen, that's just what I was thinking with my earlier comment. The difference in evoking the theme is huge! clap.gif
    Bill Banning

• Options
    edited December 5, 2011
    Wow, Gretchen, that's just what I was thinking with my earlier comment. The difference in evoking the theme is huge! clap.gif

Thank you, Bill. Some light bulb came on [in my head] after reading your comment and remembering a comment Froch made about my monotone cathedral, suggesting a blend. Then I just had to remember how to do it - when I really should have been in bed. Glad it works!

Gretchen
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2011
    kwickers wrote: »
    wow I liked #2, but then I saw your cool and hot version! I love this candle buring in the cool Ice. (the 2 and 2edit combo) Very Nice!

Thanks for your encouragement, Keith!
    #5 all the way! The combo worked great! It has a bit of drama. I also think the texture shots are visually deluxe, but they're hard to connect "ice" with........

Thank you, Leah. Appreciate your comments on these. #5 is also my new favorite. And I think the imperfect nature of my luminaria - uneven at the top - may actually help here.

For those who may want to try making these for the upcoming holidays, directions found online will be better than mine. But here goes.... I used a large tupperware container and froze a layer several inches thick, then inserted a smaller container to make a space for the candle - weighted with stones - and filled it up to the brim of the inner container with water. When it was frozen solid, I poured hot water into the center and worked the container free. Used hot water around the outer container to slip out the luminaria.

Gretchen
  • Options
    VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2011
    sapphire73 wrote: »
    i-2X6DqsC-L.jpg

This version is the best... my only nit pick is the shape of the ice cube ne_nau.gif other than that, it's great!

Winston
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2011
    This version is the best... my only nit pick is the shape of the ice cube ne_nau.gif other than that, it's great!

Winston

Thanks for giving your helpful input on this. The odd shape is because it was my first try making an ice luminaria and the experience reminded me that ice bulges in unexpected ways. (The metal container that I used to make space for the candle has indented sides now.:D) Not sure whether I would have time to make another luminaria for this or not before heading out of town.

Gretchen
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2011
    For those who may want to try making these for the upcoming holidays...
    Gretchen

So, is the candle sitting on a layer of ice inside the hollow ice block... or (as it appears to me) is the ice block sitting over the candle (If so, where is the air for the flame coming from)... or is it constructed as a hollow cylinder with openings on both sides. ... Inquiring minds want to know headscratch.gif
    Bill Banning

• Options
    edited December 5, 2011
    So, is the candle sitting on a layer of ice inside the hollow ice block... or (as it appears to me) is the ice block sitting over the candle (If so, where is the air for the flame coming from)... or is it constructed as a hollow cylinder with openings on both sides. ... Inquiring minds want to know headscratch.gif

The candle is sitting on a layer of ice inside a partially hollow block of ice. At the end of my shoot, the whole luminaria started sliding away from me - starting to melt. I could try adding one more layer of ice to the top of the luminaria if the shape of the upper edge is a distraction.
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2011
    i-2X6DqsC-L.jpg

Yeah much better. Was thinking about this earlier but it was already suggested thumb.gif

Stands way out above the rest
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2011
    #5 , last edit of #2 is excellent! thumb.gif

Good going! :D

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2011
    Overfocused, thank you for checking back! And Don, thanks for your input as well.

I appreciate the suggestions and encouragement I've had for this challenge. I may find time to reshoot before I leave town, but it is nice to know that this is a solid entry as is!

Gretchen
  • Options
    FrochFroch Registered Users Posts: 571 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2011
    Thanks, Froch. I was thinking Smooth or Rough might make a good texture sometime. Not that I've used a texture layer yet, but I'm getting closer to trying that. Are #1 and #2 not translating because the luminaria doesn't say "ice" or because the flame speaks louder?

Heading to Denver to visit my dad (who has Alzheimer's) and then going to Missouri for a couple of days, so I'm not going to have much time to work on this theme in the coming week, but will see what I can do.

Gretchen

They more say 'enclosure' to to me. They could almost be a glass block or similar. I just don't see ice.
    For me, it would need to translate clearly. Portions melting and dripping would do that for me.
    My other crit is the FOV I feel is a bit tight. My preference is always for story. This particular image doesn't have a strong sense of story.

Give DEN a kiss for me. My home. Haven't been there for several years... :o(
  • Options
    PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2011
    I kinda like the odd shape of the ice... when was the last time anyone saw a perfect block of ice? Really like the newest edit. What a creative idea. I'm still scratching my head as to what to do... I live in So. Cal.... so I've got to get creative.
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
    www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2011
    Froch wrote: »
    They more say 'enclosure' to to me. They could almost be a glass block or similar. I just don't see ice.
    For me, it would need to translate clearly. Portions melting and dripping would do that for me.
    My other crit is the FOV I feel is a bit tight. My preference is always for story. This particular image doesn't have a strong sense of story.

Give DEN a kiss for me. My home. Haven't been there for several years... :o(

Thanks for answering my follow up questions on the ice theme in relation to this ice luminaria. I have two more luminarias started in my freezer and tweaked the first one in a way that illustrated another principle of ice - cracking. We'll see whether I get anything more shots - perhaps telling more of a story - before heading to Denver, but at least I'll have a few different ones to put along the front walk or something. I've seen the paper bag with sand and a votive candle variety, but I like the way these spill the light in a different way.

I'll blow Denver a kiss for you. We'll be taking my dad for a drive on Friday and perhaps we'll get into the mountains for a bit.

Cheers,
    Gretchen
  • Options
    GretaPicsGretaPics Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2011
    Wow - #5 is a wonderful new version and the new title really suits it. I like seeing the ice in this color because it rings true and registers as ice more than the previous versions. Although I noticed the odd shape I'm not bothered by it. I appreciated learning about how you did this too with your explanation above. GP
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2011
    GretaPics wrote: »
    Wow - #5 is a wonderful new version and the new title really suits it. I like seeing the ice in this color because it rings true and registers as ice more than the previous versions. Although I noticed the odd shape I'm not bothered by it. I appreciated learning about how you did this too with your explanation above. GP

It was your comment that suggested the title. Thank you!

Gretchen
  • Options
    kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2011
    I, too, really like this #5--I like the clarity of being able to see the etchings and texture in the ice. LOVE the title.
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2011
    Heading out of town early tomorrow but here are a few shots I took yesterday in the rain with 2 different ice luminarias. I like having a visible setting in these shots but the walls of ice were a bit thicker so there aren't any that come close to the fire and ice kind of shot (#5).

Not sure whether any of these will say "ice" to you, but I'd be interested in your thoughts. (Looking back at them, I'm getting an Andrew Wyeth feeling from some of these because of the leaves in the foreground.) Is there anything here that strikes you as good option for this challenge? Better than #5? I may get an hour or two on Monday to tweak something but that's it.

If I was reshooting this, I would:

- try to have one wall of ice be thinner than the rest to increase my options
    - go for this setting (worn bench of my deck and neighboring house in background) rather than my earlier wall of evergreens
    - start shooting a little earlier when there is a bit more ambient light to try to even out the exposure a bit more

Thanks,
    Gretchen

6. Ice Luminaria [this is closer to what the luminaria looks like with a candle inside]
    i-v9LnWxC-L.jpg

7. Ice Illumination
    i-LSmsDZq-L.jpg

8. Autumn Warmth Gives Way to Winter Cold
    i-LMHmWZC-L.jpg

9. Foreshadowing Winter's Ice
    i-FqBhFT7-L.jpg

10. Cold Light
    i-SSWqZXg-L.jpg

11. The Cold, Bleak Light of Winter
    i-gGwsbh3-L.jpg

12. Brrr! [the cracked, stuck luminaria that the rain kept putting out...]
    i-gkhPMzD-L.jpg

If I was reshooting this, I would try to have one wall of ice be thinner than the rest to increase my options and start out with a setting like the worn bench of my deck and neighboring house in the background.

A few more notes on making ice luminarias (for those who want to try this):

a. Indestructible plastic glasses work very well for the inner space for the candle.
    b. If you set the luminaria on a wet surface (in the rain) it might be stuck there until it melts a bit.
    c. It is easy to crack the ice when you pour hot water on your mold to free the luminaria. Unfortunately, the combination of rain and stuck luminaria prevented me from getting any good shots of this.
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2011
    The only one that says ice more is the one with the cracks. The rest just look too much like wax. Go with more crackage :) Although then it still looks like glass. This is a rough one, isn't it? lol. You're onto something though!