Options

Want/need new PC

cockatiel ladycockatiel lady Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
edited December 6, 2011 in Digital Darkroom
I am out of my league on this site but you are my last hope! I am looking to buy a new comupter which will be used to download and edit photos and videos of my birds. I have a Sony HR camcorder HDR CX 150 full HD and a Nikon SLR. I will be downloading videos of my cockatiels which I show and breed.

I also use MS 2010 office home and student for recording my cockatiel info. Using Excel.

I am not an expert as you can see but want to have fun with my hobby. I want to be able to burn DVDs. I have a HD TV and Blu-Ray player if that means anything at all.

I did buy Elements 8 photoshop, I use MS Digital Imagining 2006 for my photos, MGI Suite III, Photo Explosion. I have (PMB) Picture Motion Browser (which I hate) for my videos.

I am looking to buy a new computer (mine is dying). What would you suggest for reliable brand, model and required apps. I have looked at the HP Elite h8 1050 and the Dell XPS X 8300 5215 NBR. As you can see I am stupid when it comes to all this stuff but really would like to learn and succeed in my hobby. I am looking to go to Best Buy as they seem to have the best support for a biginner like me. Is there anyone out there that can direct me so I can have fun verses frustration. :scratch

Comments

• Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2011
    Photograpy / Video Computer Selection Criteria
    The type of computer and its components you buy for photography and or video processing will depend on answers to questions like the following.

What is your desired output? Print, digital images for yourself, online images, a combined video of your images and videos? This will determine software you appear not to be currently using (edit videos for instance) and the components of the computer.

Do you edit only the photos or are you editing the videos? Video editing requires a better machine - processor, memory and graphics card. I did not see video editing software in your list of software tools.

Do you need something mobile or do you work in one location? A laptop or desktop, or both?

I assume you are considering a Windows based machine. Is this correct?

Do you have a monitor already and if so what brand and model?

Do you have a monitor calibrator to ensure accurate color and brightness?

How much hard drive space do you currently use for your hobby? How many gigabytes?

Do you have a backup equipment? For instance an external hard drive and if so what size is it?

What is your price range?

Answers to these questions will help in selecting a computer and its components.

Phil
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2011
    I would like combined output as I would like to print and place on line my videos of my birds. Presently I use photobucket. I send videos to other breeders so they can access them for me. At some point I want to create a small web site.

I want to edit the videos sometimes I run the cam for a very long time to capture the babies moving around or mom and dad mating which can be fun for bird people. Some breeders have never seen babies fledge out of the nestbox.

Not mobile

Yes on Windows

Gateway monitor 1440 X 900, 720 HD Ready, VGA Analog input, DVI-with HDCP Input, Enchanced color perfection FPD1975W TFT LCD

I do not imagine this monitor has a calibrator and I do not have one for sure

Not sure on the space I use GBs My computer out f 287GB 241 used 46 left. on Recovery D 4.4 free out of 10.1GB (this is where I am really out of my league here and very stupid).

I have a Simple Tech 320GB which has my life on it.

If I can use the monitor I presently have I would spend up to 800 to 1,000 on a tower. The problem is I always seem to buy something I cannot use to hard to operate I am 66 years old. This is a hobby. I want to send people pictures of my babies and adult birds and view and edit videos.

I have a 50" Panasonic tv HD and a Blu-Ray player for the TV. It would be nice to play my videos on the tv.

I want a half way decent computer, and very easy to use software. I have abode elements 8 which is hard to use as I do not do enough with it. I am not a professional! I need stupid friendly. Software for dummies.

Hope this helps Please please help me.
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2011
    I would like combined output as I would like to print and place on line my videos of my birds. Presently I use photobucket. I send videos to other breeders so they can access them for me. At some point I want to create a small web site.

I want to edit the videos sometimes I run the cam for a very long time to capture the babies moving around or mom and dad mating which can be fun for bird people. Some breeders have never seen babies fledge out of the nestbox.

Not mobile

Yes on Windows

Gateway monitor 1440 X 900, 720 HD Ready, VGA Analog input, DVI-with HDCP Input, Enchanced color perfection FPD1975W TFT LCD

I do not imagine this monitor has a calibrator and I do not have one for sure

Not sure on the space I use GBs My computer out f 287GB 241 used 46 left. on Recovery D 4.4 free out of 10.1GB (this is where I am really out of my league here and very stupid).

I have a Simple Tech 320GB which has my life on it.

If I can use the monitor I presently have I would spend up to 800 to 1,000 on a tower. The problem is I always seem to buy something I cannot use to hard to operate I am 66 years old. This is a hobby. I want to send people pictures of my babies and adult birds and view and edit videos.

I have a 50" Panasonic tv HD and a Blu-Ray player for the TV. It would be nice to play my videos on the tv.

I want a half way decent computer, and very easy to use software. I have abode elements 8 which is hard to use as I do not do enough with it. I am not a professional! I need stupid friendly. Software for dummies.

Hope this helps Please please help me.

I am looking at a few brand name machines that I think will meet your needs. One is from HP that looks like it will meet your needs. For professional photographers I would recommend a more advanced machine, but for your needs I think it will do.

Regarding video software, you may want to post you needs in the "Action" forum for the type of software you need. They will have recommendations. For simple photo editing, consider Google's free Picasa. You can post online there too for free.
    Phil
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2011
    Your thoughts
    Best Buy sales person recommended HP P7-1174 Your thoughts.
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2011
    Option 1
    I searched for it on HP's website and did not find it in the current products for sale. One thing I note is that your monitor is less than 1980x1020 and therefore not HD capable.

I have not found a retail capable desktop computer that includes a stand alone 1980x1020 monitor for $1,000 or less. Consider this machine at $1,198.
    HP 220xt series with a 21.5" diagonal Full HD<sup>§</sup> widescreen with 1080p (1920 x 1080) resolution

<table align="left" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" hspace="0" vspace="0"> <tbody><tr> <td style="padding-top:0in;padding-right:2.25pt; padding-bottom:0in;padding-left:2.25pt" align="left" valign="top">Operating system Windows 7 Home Premium [64-bit]
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2405S quad-core processor [2.5GHz, 6MB Shared Cache, DMI 5GT/s]
    Memory 8GB DDR3-1333MHz SODIMM Memory [2 DIMMs]
    Hard drive 2TB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive
    Graphics card Integrated graphics
    Primary optical drive Slim-tray SuperMulti DVD burner
    Networking Wireless-N LAN card (1x1)
    Productivity ports 6-in-1 Card Reader, 2 total USB 3.0, audio
    Sound Card Integrated sound
    Keyboard and Mouse Premium HP keyboard and optical mouse
    HP Care Pack Services HP 3-year Care Pack House Call Service for select HP Pavilion Elite Desktop PC (with 2-year standard warranty)
    </td> </tr> </tbody></table>
    Phil
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2011
    Option 2- Better Machine
    Or this desktop with added monitor, upgraded power supply in the event you add a second drive, added wireless card, upgraded sound, upgraded keyboard and mouse, added webcam, price from HP is $1,170.
    HP h8t series

<table align="left" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" hspace="0" vspace="0"> <tbody><tr> <td style="padding-top:0in;padding-right:2.25pt; padding-bottom:0in;padding-left:2.25pt" align="left" valign="top"> Operating system Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium [64-bit]
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2320 quad-core processor [3.0GHz, 6MB Shared Cache]
    Memory FREE UPGRADE to 8GB DDR3-1333MHz SDRAM [4 DIMMs] from 4GB
    Hard drive 2TB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive
    Graphics card 1GB DDR3 Radeon HD 6450 [DVI, HDMI. VGA adapter]
    Power Supply 460W Power supply
    Primary optical drive Blu-ray player & SuperMulti DVD burner
    Networking Wireless-N LAN card (1x1)
    Productivity ports 15-in-1 memory card reader, 2 USB 2.0 (front), audio, 2 USB (top rear-facing)
    Sound Card Beats Audio (tm) -- integrated studio quality sound
    Keyboard and Mouse HP wireless keyboard and wireless optical mouse
    Webcams Microsoft LifeCam HD-6000 Webcam - Coal Black - USB
    Monitor HP 2311x 23-inch LED Monitor
    </td> </tr> </tbody></table>
    Phil
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2011
    Best Buy sales person recommended HP P7-1174 Your thoughts.

I researched HP's offerings and the previous two posting are worth a look.

I like the 2nd choice more. The first choice has an extended care package. The second choice is more powerful with more options but without the extended care package.

There is a lot to consider in buying a computer for photo and video editing. I am developing a paper for professional photographers on how to research, buy and build a computer.

For security software consider using the free tools from MS - MS Security Essentials the - 64 bit version if you buy a machine like one of the following two posts.

Good luck.

Phil
    Phil
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2011
    Thank so much
    You have made me a happy lady. I will update you if that is ok.clap.gifbarb
  • Options
    edited December 6, 2011
    I ordered the 2nd option
    I did buy the computer you recommended. I did however purchase the support too. Thank you so very much for your help. I cannot tell you how much I appreciate your help. Sue
  • Options
    edited December 6, 2011
    I did buy the computer you recommended. I did however purchase the support too. Thank you so very much for your help. I cannot tell you how much I appreciate your help. Sue

I hope that works well for you. Let us know when you get it and start to use it. For your needs I think Google's Picasa will meet your needs for editing photos. You may want to look at Adobe Premiere to edit videos from what I understand you want to do.
    Have fun!
    Phil