Options

DSS 91 - Cold Feet

billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
edited December 11, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
Took this shot at a seasonal skating rink at the downtown San Diego shopping plaza yesterday afternoon. The backgrounds are really cluttered, so I focused on on the skates. Not sure what I think of this, but wanted to put it up for reactions.

Ice-012-34-L.jpg
Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug

Comments

• Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2011
    It looks a little dark to me, can you bump up the exposure a little bit without losing too much detail in the ice?
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,948 moderator
    edited December 5, 2011
    Good idea for the challenge! At first I missed the play on words in your title, but looking at the position of the blades of the skater in the front right, it seems this skater might be somewhat new to skating as well as being on a cold surface. :D

If you get a chance to reshoot, it would be fun to see this from another perspective, a bit closer to the ice.

Gretchen
  • Options
    PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2011
    There goes one of my ideas for ice. ;-) Living in Southern California makes this challenge a challenge!
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
    www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com
  • Options
    kwickerskwickers Registered Users Posts: 310 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2011
    I thought of something completely different at the title... IE: Stage Fright, walking away from performing, etc... I like the Ice Rink, I would go back, see if you can get someone to throw some ice in the air while stopping fast.
    Photos.KeithWickersham.com
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2011
    PedalGirl wrote: »
    There goes one of my ideas for ice. ;-) Living in Southern California makes this challenge a challenge!

I know there seems to be an unwritten rule about not duplicating ideas that get put up in the forum threads, but I've got no problem with other ice rink photos being submitted. I may try again at the ice rink in town. May find a whole other inspiration... skate for it, Pedal Girl!
    Bill Banning

• Options
    FrochFroch Registered Users Posts: 571 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2011
    billseye wrote: »
    I know there seems to be an unwritten rule about not duplicating ideas that get put up in the forum threads, but I've got no problem with other ice rink photos being submitted. I may try again at the ice rink in town. May find a whole other inspiration... skate for it, Pedal Girl!

Sometimes I work for a week or so trying to figure out or gather parts for a shot which can put me up against the deadline. I would still submit, regardless of similarity. I consider the submissions blind.
  • Options
    kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,276 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2011
    Bill, while this is a photo that says "ice", it honestly says nothing to me. I've seen your work and I know you can do better. If you can re-shoot, can you get lower so that you're right on the ice and have a skater come closer? This just has nothing really interesting to offer....sorry!
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2011
    Well... haven't had a chance to reshoot, but with a little PP on a different shot from the first session, I think I've improved on the idea. For now, I guess this will be my entry unless inspiration strikes at the last minute or someone convinces me to go with the first one...

Cityskate
    Ice-012-48-Edit-Edit-Edit-Edit-L.jpg
    Bill Banning

• Options
    TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2011
    I agree with Kinkajou...the skater's boots are a bit too dark
    and the detail doesn't come through. If you have Photoshop,
    you could bump up just the boots using a Layer Mask. Bumping
    up the whole image would wash out the ice and lose your
    detail there.

As far as the other poster's comments about this shot closing
    out ice skaters as a subject, I don't see it that way. If they
    choose a different perspective of a skater, it's a fresh view.
    It's not like the first person who submits a photograph with
    an ice cube in it has a lock on ice cubes.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/