edited December 8, 2011 in Street and Documentary
sp-6-2-L.jpg
Liz A.
_________

Comments

• Options
    RSLRSL Registered Users Posts: 839 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2011
    Fun shot, Liz. That's one of the wonderful things about photographing people; facial expressions can make a fascinating picture that otherwise would be a flop. This picture succeeds because of the ambiguity caused by the expressions. One doesn't know whether to laugh or cry. Is that guy on the right going to get his loan or is the bank officer laughing and saying "You've got to be kidding." At the same time, what's going on in the background seems not to be going too well, based on the expression of the woman facing us.
  • Options
    Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2011
    My favorite thing about this shot is how oblivious the guy in the business suit is to this gentleman who seems to want something from him.
  • Options
    M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2011
    My favorite thing about this shot is how oblivious the guy in the business suit is to this gentleman who seems to want something from him.

...because the 'suit' is staring at a pretty lady just out of the frame on the right. (And I'm sure he's mugging it up a bit for Liz who is also probably with the pretty lady on said right)

Great shot Liz with three distinct emotional components of the three main characters. One little thing to try IMO? Crop just a quarter-inch off the left side to give it a crisp edge and remove the hair/ear artifact, and do the same on the right to eliminate the elbow and white light globe artifact up high. See if that frames the whole shot a bit better to remove some little distractions?

• Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2011
    RSL wrote: »
    Fun shot, Liz. That's one of the wonderful things about photographing people; facial expressions can make a fascinating picture that otherwise would be a flop. This picture succeeds because of the ambiguity caused by the expressions. One doesn't know whether to laugh or cry. Is that guy on the right going to get his loan or is the bank officer laughing and saying "You've got to be kidding." At the same time, what's going on in the background seems not to be going too well, based on the expression of the woman facing us.

Thanks Russ.
    I thought it a fun shot too. The body language on this one is just so over the top.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2011

Reminds me of going to a hair salon once and getting the cold shoulder and thinking to myself "hello I am the customer!". This has the same vibe to me. I feel a little bad for the guy doing the talking but it's also kind of comical.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2011
    M38A1 wrote: »
    ...because the 'suit' is staring at a pretty lady just out of the frame on the right. (And I'm sure he's mugging it up a bit for Liz who is also probably with the pretty lady on said right)

Great shot Liz with three distinct emotional components of the three main characters. One little thing to try IMO? Crop just a quarter-inch off the left side to give it a crisp edge and remove the hair/ear artifact, and do the same on the right to eliminate the elbow and white light globe artifact up high. See if that frames the whole shot a bit better to remove some little distractions?

Hey Scott,
    Thanks for the comment.
    I went back and tried to crop it but I lose some of the sign up top when I do or I cut just to "his" hand and I want him to have a little room. I thought about cloning out the cream colored elbow on the black suit, it would be easy enough. But I don't use the clone tool when I process street photos, maybe I'm being a dork about it :D
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2011
    Reminds me of going to a hair salon once and getting the cold shoulder and thinking to myself "hello I am the customer!". This has the same vibe to me. I feel a little bad for the guy doing the talking but it's also kind of comical.

I'm sure if you walked up to the old fella and said "Hey look at this great picture I got because of you!" it would just make his day. :D
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2011
    First, (and it pains me to say it...NOT!) the processing is gorgeous! You nailed all the sliders...

I like the connect the dots with the people. The back of the head on the right edge is looking at the guy with the glasses, who is looking at the other suited guy, who is staring off the edge at the woman whose elbow is barely in the shot. The face and head at the bottom of the shot puzzled me -- I figure they are in a waiting area or seated at a table.

Well done!