Summer 2012 - Boston up east coast to Canada

jasonstonejasonstone Registered Users Posts: 735 Major grins
Hi all, looking for any recommendations on cool places to visit and things to see in July-August 2012.
We fly into Boston and will drive north up the east coast.

So far we're liking the idea of visiting Acadia National Park and maybe going to Newfoundland with another family (friends).

Anywhere to spend a week that's cool would be great as we hope to spend a week with other friends too.

Photography and mountain biking are always of interest (have to hire the bikes though)

Thanks for any tips all

Cheers
Jase

Comments

• Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2011
    Acadia is a wonderful place. "Park" doesn't do it justice, it's really big. There are carriage paths thoughout the park, not a very hard ride, but the they go on an on. Biking to the top of Cadillac mountain will give you a work out though. Arrange to end up at Jordan Pond for either lunch or dinner. Check out Thunder Hole. Great place for a camera too! No way can you do it in a day or days...
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited December 7, 2011
    Acadia is a great place to spend a week. If you go there don't miss the Schoodic Peninsula section of the park.

I've been to Newfoundland twice, once by ferry and once by plane. Are you planning to be in the northeast for all of July and August, or only for a couple of weeks? The reason I ask is getting to Newfoundland covers a lot of miles. If you're going to be in New England for two months, by all means jump over to Newfoundland. Gros Morne National Park on the west coast is wonderful, as is Fogo Island off the north coast, and... I have blog entries and photo galleries from my two trips there - if you're interested in them just let me know.

If you stay around the Boston area at all, Plum Island National Wildlife Refuge is worth a visit.

In south coastal Maine, the Wells Reserve is another favorite of mine.

--- Denise
  • jasonstonejasonstone Registered Users Posts: 735 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2011
    actually we'll be limited for time somewhat...
    3 weeks is our trip - from 16th July onwards.
    and we're meant to catch up with 2 other families during that time.

so i thought i'd fish for ideas and then see what we can work into the family holiday....
    mind you the Acadia National Park idea is for the whole family as we all love that kind of stuff - nature and animals etc.
  • jasonstonejasonstone Registered Users Posts: 735 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2011
    oh and thanks for the tips - i'm making a list to go through and examine in more detail :)

whale watching is definitely on our list of things to do also - not sure where we'll go from though...
  • Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2011
    Bar Harbor, the town next to Acadia, has whale watch boat tours, and Buffin boat tours too!
    jasonstone wrote: »
    oh and thanks for the tips - i'm making a list to go through and examine in more detail :)

whale watching is definitely on our list of things to do also - not sure where we'll go from though...
    edited December 7, 2011
    If you only have 3 weeks then Newfoundland is most likely a stretch. According to Google Maps it's an 11+ hour drive from Bar Harbor to North Sydney, Nova Scotia to catch a ferry to the western side of Newfoundland.

There is plenty to do in Maine, lots of photo ops, plus it's a good place for a family vacation. Acadia is a favorite of mine; I try to get there at least twice a year.

--- Denise
  • SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2011
    Similarly, if you want to hang around the eastern seaboard area, go north and cross the border into Canada at Calais / St. Stephen and spend a week - 10 days exploring New Brunswick. Stay off the main highway and you'll see much more including the Bay of Fundy (highest tides in the WORLD), beautiful beaches, hiking (Mt. Carleton), rolling hills and lush farm country and so much more. NB is also Canada's only officially bilingual province and if you head up the Acadian peninsula there are numerous festivals, locations and events to attend - in French. If history is your thing, make sure you visit Saint John - Canada's oldest incorporated city. Photo opps abound! And you can also take a jet boat ride through, or zip-line over, the "Reversing Rapids" - adventure for the thrill seekers in your group.

If you'd like more info., just let me know.
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
    edited December 10, 2011
    Forgot to say, but maps are deceptive. As Denise pointed out - what looks like a short drive is actually not. The distances are large and you have to allow time for that.
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
    edited December 10, 2011
    I second Snowgirl's recommendation to visit New Brunswick while you are in the northeast. I spent a week+ vacation there a few years back, and it has been on my list of must return places ever since.

Another spot in Maine that you might want to add to your list is Baxter State Park.

--- Denise
    edited December 12, 2011
    If you do decide to head in to New Brunswick (any of you, by the way) let me know. I'm always up for a meet-up, and this is my home territory so happy to play 'tour guide'. :D
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • knapphknapph Registered Users Posts: 142 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2012
    Since I live in Portland, Maine I will suggest a stop here. Portland Head Lighthouse is a great place to take photos. The lighthouse is in a town park; the gates open at sunrise and are closed at sunset. You need to be ready to shoot when you get there as they are sometimes a bit slow to open the gates and you can get tight for time. If the weather is not too foggy the sunrises can be great. There is a trail that runs along the cliffs that will take you to some good places to shoot. There is another lighthouse offshore from Portland Head - Ram Ledge light. Other lighthouses near Portland are the Cape Elizabeth light at Two Lights (also a good place for a lobster dinner outside at "The Lobster Shack"), Spring Point Ledge light and Bug Light in South Portland. If you like old buildings downtown Portland (the Old Port) is interesting. If you are a fan of art, the Portland Art Museum is a good place to visit. There are a lot of art galleries in the area around the museum. We enjoy getting on one of the ferry boats that travel between Portland and the offshore islands. Peaks Island is the largest island in Portland harbor and is a good place to have a picnic. You can also take a half or full day guided kayak trip with Maine Island Kayak Company (You can also take kayak trips in Bar Harbor).

If you are a map person, look for Delorme Maps in Yarmouth. The road atlas Delorme publishes is very useful if you want to drive around the backroads in Maine. Many people like to stop at LL Bean in Freeport. Look on the internet for more information about these two places.

Driving up the coast, any road named "Shore Road" is usually worth a detour. A detour off Rt. 1 at Northport to Bayside is interesting. The Farnsworth Museum in Rockland is a good place to visit. If you have time and are a fan of the Christina's World painting, then a trip to the Olsen House in Cushing. Peter Ralston's gallery in Rockport is a good stop. His photos of the Maine coast are hard to beat. Look on the map for Mechanic Street/Beauchamp Point/Calderwood Lane for a scenic drive between Rockport and Camden.

While in this area take a look at the Owls Head Transportation Museum; old bikes, cars, boats, and airplanes. You can see more at their website.

At Acadia National Park, drive the park loop road, go to the gardens (Asticou Azalea Garden and the Thuya Garden) in Northeast Harbor if you like flowers. The beach near Thunder Hole is a good place for sunrise shooting. You might be able to get a sunset from Cadillac Mountain. If you try for a Cadillac Mt. sunset, do not try to get one from the summit instead go the the first overlook going back down the mountain (I think it is the Blue Hill overlook) - better shooting from there. You can also get some nice views from the top of Cadillac if you walk down the side from the summit to the right of the parking lot as you first enter (the South Ridge trail I think). Jordan Pond is a good place for shooting and to get a bite to eat. Walk around the pond a bit, it's nice. For a different look at Jordan Pond climb North and South Bubble. The climbs are short but steep in places and the views are great. Bass Harbor Head Lighthouse is good shooting - take the trail to the far end of the parking lot from the entrance to get to a good view of the lighthouse. Across the water from Bass Harbor is Bernard another good place for early morning shots. You will need to scout for a parking place if you want to be there for early shooting. I think the parking at the town landing is reserved for working folks and they can get a bit grumpy if they get there early in the morning to take their lobster boat out and find someone "from away" (that would be you) in their parking place. The Otter Cliff area on the park loop road is another good place to do some shooting. Lots of great rocks and water to see on Schoodic Peninsula on the mainland across from Acadia. The carriage trails on Acadia are great places for bike riding. You can rent bikes in Bar Harbor.

Bring some good walking shoes and be prepared for cold winds. We always go out with fleece jackets and rain parkas in the car even in the summer - you never know what the weather is going to do. The ocean off Maine is cold even in the summer and this causes very unpredictable weather. If you get out on the rocks near the ocean watch the seaweed, it is very slippery. And, also keep an eye on the waves, they can surprise you.

Here are a few photos of Maine for you to look at: http://www.stonecoastphotography.com/Places/Maine. Lighthouse photos are here: http://www.stonecoastphotography.com/Collections/Lighthouses.

If you have any questions, please send me a message.
  • rrosen1rrosen1 Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited March 15, 2012
    Originall from the Acadia area
    When you get to Acadia National Park don't miss the Schoodic Point part of the Bay. See the attach photo. Great surf shots It is the "rock bound coast". Great surf shots. Also I assume you are going to have lobster. The best place is the Trenton Bridge Lobster Pound. It is on the right before you cross the causeway onto Mt Desert Island. Also don't forget to stop in Portland. The Old Port art district is great. It's a big weekend getaway area for people from the Boston area. There are so many places I could suggest on Acadia. On Jordan pond afternoon tea with pop overs and home made jam.

I am getting jealous so any more questions contact me direct Robert Rosen, rrosen1@maine.rr.com
    www.appleledgephotography.com

jasonstone wrote: »
    Hi all, looking for any recommendations on cool places to visit and things to see in July-August 2012.
    We fly into Boston and will drive north up the east coast.

So far we're liking the idea of visiting Acadia National Park and maybe going to Newfoundland with another family (friends).

Anywhere to spend a week that's cool would be great as we hope to spend a week with other friends too.

Photography and mountain biking are always of interest (have to hire the bikes though)

Thanks for any tips all

Cheers
    Jase