Options

Mother and Son

Brock62Brock62 Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
edited December 10, 2011 in People

Comments

• Options
    TenThirteenTenThirteen Registered Users Posts: 488 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2011
    I don't understand the EXTREME glow effect.......?
    Canon Fan
  • Options
    Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2011
    I don't understand the EXTREME glow effect.......?

My thoughts exactly.
  • Options
    BrettDeutschBrettDeutsch Registered Users Posts: 365 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2011
    Yep, way too much glow for my taste. Makes it look like something was on your lens (blobs of vaseline?)
  • Options
    jpcjpc Registered Users Posts: 840 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2011
    I'm a fan of the Orton effect, but it is easy to over-use it. I like this treatment, provided that there are others in the set that don't have it. I'll bet mom liked it...
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2011
    Thanks for the Comments , Yes the Mother Loved the the Pic cause that was what she was wanting, I agree with you all that it has more effect then normal, But thats what Mom asked for . She wanted a soft effect , I done two others and she chose this one. Again thanks for your comments.
  • Options
    D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2011
    Hmm, different people , different tastes. If I had to create softness then I would use a large (surface) light source as close as possible to the models. Then fit a soft focus lens and a very restricted diaphragm setting <2.8. That creates a great bokeh, softness from the lens and softness from the light.
    A glow is not the same.
    A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2011
    D3Sshooter wrote: »
    Hmm, different people , different tastes. If I had to create softness then I would use a large (surface) light source as close as possible to the models. Then fit a soft focus lens and a very restricted diaphragm setting <2.8. That creates a great bokeh, softness from the lens and softness from the light.
    A glow is not the same.

The Orton effect is easily created in LR by bumping the Clarity fader to the left. This allows you to apply it to any image, with any lens, at any aperature, with or without flash, making it much more versatile and variable than the method you have described. It works very well.
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2011
    jpc wrote: »
    The Orton effect is easily created in LR by bumping the Clarity fader to the left. This allows you to apply it to any image, with any lens, at any aperature, with or without flash, making it much more versatile and variable than the method you have described. It works very well.

That will work too, or even make pigs fly rolleyes1.gif (don't get me wrong, i love technology

It all depends what you are trying to be. A Photographer or an illustrator ?
    Its like sugar or a substitute.
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2011
    D3Sshooter wrote: »
    It all depends what you are trying to be. A Photographer or an illustrator ?

Really? So we're not photographers if we can recreate a lighting setup or lens effect with software? I was just letting you know that there's an easy way to do what you described. If you truly love technology, try embracing it a little.
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2011
    jpc wrote: »
    Really? So we're not photographers if we can recreate a lighting setup or lens effect with software? I was just letting you know that there's an easy way to do what you described. If you truly love technology, try embracing it a little.

Let me say it like this, if you can only control the light, lens and scene with software, then yes, you are
    not a photographer. Technology, hmmmm....I hate it iloveyou.gif. I just spend 25 years developing technology.rolleyes1.gif So don't wurry.
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2011
    The Orton effect and a well-lit image using a large aperture are two totally separate things (which aren't mutually exclusive), that create completely different looking images. They can be used together or separately, although I can't imagine why you would ever intentionally choose to start without a well-lit image. The Orton effect has always been a post-production thing, although originally with slides not Photoshop. But I think Michael Orton would be very upset to think that the method is thought to be a replacement for taking a good photograph. Now stop fighting :-)
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2011
    The Orton effect and a well-lit image using a large aperture are two totally separate things (which aren't mutually exclusive), that create completely different looking images. They can be used together or separately, although I can't imagine why you would ever intentionally choose to start without a well-lit image. The Orton effect has always been a post-production thing, although originally with slides not Photoshop. But I think Michael Orton would be very upset to think that the method is thought to be a replacement for taking a good photograph. Now stop fighting :-)

Yep, I can go along with this...
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2011
    Thanks, Brett. This has been a good "illustration" of how's there's more than one way to say the same thing. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2011
    To me each photographer has there own style. I cant afford a studio with all the light set ups and props and everything that goes with owning and running a studio, but if i can buy Lightroom 3 and CS 5 which i do have and use and use them to adjust a Photograph that will sell, Well im happy and this Young Lady is Happy and in the End thats all that Matters.
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2011
    You are absolutely right.
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2011
    OK. Now this feels like a group hug. That's no fun. Go back to fighting. :-)
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2011
    Lol