Options

Fashion shoot in Wide Angle

bkleinbklein Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited December 8, 2011 in People
Here's a shot I did for a fashion shoot with an ultra wide angle lens. It's a little out of everyone's comfort zone not shooting on a tele lens, but I'm happy with the result.

Getting a good shot was a challenge. I was trying to work with some wide angle distortion that was still flattering for the model. C&C are welcome

jarrod-fashion-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2011
    It's kind of small to see for sure but there's something coming out of his right side of the head? Also, I would have gone a shallower depth of field to help blur the background.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    edited December 7, 2011
    Oops, sorry. Here's a larger size... I can't believe I missed that lamp in the background.

jarrod-fashion-X2.jpg

I'll try something at f/2.8 (this is f/4). I'm tempted at taking a crack with the ultrawide again, but with the longer lens on standby.
  • Options
    BrettDeutschBrettDeutsch Registered Users Posts: 365 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2011
    Sorry, hate to be a naysayer, but I'm not feeling anything from this photo. It's just a guy with a trenchcoat shot from below. The lighting isn't interesting, the background is dull, and it's not telling me a story or showing off the clothes interestingly (which is ideally what fashion shoot is about). I don't think the lens is the issue -- it just doesn't feel like you went in with a plan other than "shoot with a wide angle lens".
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2011
    Sorry, hate to be a naysayer, but I'm not feeling anything from this photo. It's just a guy with a trenchcoat shot from below. The lighting isn't interesting, the background is dull, and it's not telling me a story or showing off the clothes interestingly (which is ideally what fashion shoot is about). I don't think the lens is the issue -- it just doesn't feel like you went in with a plan other than "shoot with a wide angle lens".

No worries. Thanks for the honesty.

It's exactly what you said, I got too excited with the idea of shooting in a wide angle lensheadscratch.gif
  • Options
    D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2011
    I would say its a good attemt and certainly not easy with a wide angle. What did you use ?
    Now back to the composition, I tend to agree with Brett. There are some other small details to pay attention to. Look on the left of his head, the light is coming out of his head. I would remove that element. Then the feet, why did you cut off his left shoe tip ? And finally, the pose is not what I would call faltering for a fashion shoot (position of the feet). I have the feeling that he will flip open his coat any minuterolleyes1.gif. The streaker feeling.
    A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer
  • Options
    Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2011
    bklein wrote: »
    No worries. Thanks for the honesty.

It's exactly what you said, I got too excited with the idea of shooting in a wide angle lensheadscratch.gif

We all get excited about trying new things. I guess when I've done this for 20 years my new things will not be "use a wide angle lens", but I went to Alaska that certainly was my new thing, and I have the GBs of photos to show for it...
  • Options
    jpcjpc Registered Users Posts: 840 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2011
    Tokina 11-16 is an amazing lens. I used to have one on a D90. It was tack-sharp and there was almost no distortion at all.

I don't mind the pose, but I'll bet it would have been a more interesting shot if you were sitting on the ground, right in front of him. Don't give up on it!
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2011