Old cars

CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
edited December 9, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
Criticism is always welcome.

Vulture-cars-4-1610tonemapped-1000x1000.jpg

Comments

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2011
    Gracious, Don, I see enough fertile opportunities here to make a RUST JUNKIE weep. I could spend a whole day just on the objects I see in this scene. You start going in for close-up abstracts of rust and just let the sliders fly when doing the PP work.....man, you could end up with some startling work. A true RUST JUNKIE knows no boundaries when it comes to saturation, sharpening, or any other effect. Rust holds no limit to the images that can be extracted from it....you just have to be brave enough to really throw out traditional processing and go in there and drag it out.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2011
    15524779-Ti.gifdeal.gif You can NOT leave us with one shot. The opportunities are boundless.

Get in there and give us some meaty rust shots. You've given us the taste, now satisfy the craving! thumb.gif!

:D

Rust Rules

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2011
    Tom, Don, thanks very much for commenting. I could never be a true rust junkie...this is pretty adventurous processing for me. Saturation sliders terrify me. :D

Alas, I can't get any more shots. This was taken at a place called Vulture Mine. I took this one earlier this year but overlooked it when I was working up shots from the outing. Meanwhile, Vulture Mine has been closed to visitors.

Don
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2011
    So your leaving us cold turkey! eek7.gif

rolleyes1.gif :cry :wow

:D

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
    edited December 8, 2011
    Well, I'd hate to do that, Don. Here's a rust shot, but the saturation still isn't boosted.

Vulture-spigot-1000x1000.jpg
  • phatspazphatspaz Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited December 8, 2011
    rolleyes1.gif Don cracked me up reading his post in this tread! rolleyes1.gif
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2011
    Looks like you hit a gold mine of rust in your first posted photo :D That would be rust heaven for a rust junkie rolleyes1.gif

Your second photo ... I really like this one. There are shapes in it to keep the eye searching. As for the rust factor .. I know it's hard to crank on the saturation and contrast sliders, but go for it thumb.gif It can be very creative and fun.
    edited December 9, 2011
    Thanks, Mary. I like the second one as well. I used a contrast mask on it to reduce contrast, so if high contrast is required for rust junkies, I'll never be admitted.
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2011
    Cornflake wrote: »
    Thanks, Mary. I like the second one as well. I used a contrast mask on it to reduce contrast, so if high contrast is required for rust junkies, I'll never be admitted.

I'm with you. One of my favorite subjects is old cars, and I'm a regular
    visitor at some salvage yards. A rust wagon is like a magnet to me.

However, I don't like to process the image to show extreme rust. I go for
    the natural look. The attraction, to me, is the natural aging and rustification.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2011
    Cornflake wrote: »

I was wondering what editing process you used to give it the look it has. I like it. It has a pastel look to it.

As for rust -- I always edit the photo normally first and keep that one. Then I move onto editing it for the rust factor only for the fun of it. On my site I have a gallery just for rust so I can keep them separate :D
    edited December 9, 2011
    Tony, Mary, thank you both for commenting.

For anyone unfamiliar with contrast masks, here's an explanation http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/contrast_masking.shtml although that's not exacty how I do it. It's a surprisingly versatile and useful tool. Even when the image isn't too contrasty, the mask can give it a somewhat painterly look.