Options

Ice #91 - C&C please!

KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
edited December 13, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
So I've decided to actually participate in this one because 1. I made such a stink in the discussions thread and 2. I actually have time!

So here's a start. The problem for me is that I live in Florida, so there is no snow/ice/frost anywhere to be found. I went for a loose interpretation here, but I have no idea what to do for the background yet. Something cool and icy, obviously, but that's about as far as I've gotten. :) Any tweaks on the image so far would be great. I have a TON more, but this is just the first one I started to work on.

TIA!

111206Ice010-no-bg-L.jpg
Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!

Comments

• Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,950 moderator
    edited December 7, 2011
    I like the concept and what you've done with it so far. (I'm getting icy look or Ice Queen.)

For what it's worth, I made a sheet of ice in my freezer. I had a plastic lid for a rectangular baking sheet that worked well for this but a pyrex baking pan would also work. Just turn it over and run hot water over it to loosen.... Not sure whether this might help you get a background or a texture layer for your shot, but thought I would offer my bit of brainstorming for this challenge.

My various ice creations - a miniature pond of ice and fallen leaves, ice luminarias, etc. - often became more opaque than I wished. Running some water over them and/or warming it with my hand helped clarify the ice a bit.

I initially thought of doing something with ice between two people - husband and wife or two friends - with the wall of ice beginning to melt.

Have fun with it!

Gretchen
  • Options
    TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2011
    You said: "So here's a start. The problem for me is that I live in Florida"

Sorry, but I've already tried that excuse, and I live further south that you do (Orlando) and my submission is in.

Google says there are two ice skating rinks in Gainesville. Gotta be something there.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    GretaPicsGretaPics Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2011
    I'm all for loose and creative theme interpretation so I like this idea but I think it needs something more although I'm not sure what. It doesn't quite say "ice" yet to me although her look is certainly approaching that....perhaps when you do something with the background as you indicated that will help too. I'm a bit distracted by too much of her chest but I like the pointed make-up. I might like a tighter crop too so I could focus more on her icy stare. GP
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2011
    Kinkajou wrote: »
    So I've decided to actually participate in this one because.... I made such a stink in the discussions thread

haha!:D

I like the idea of just giving us your basic building block! That actually makes sense to me.

Nothing is this photo says ice to me. I know you can add ice to it, but that is why I like viewing it this way, adding ice is not going to make this photo say ice better I don't think.
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2011
    sapphire73 wrote: »
    I like the concept and what you've done with it so far. (I'm getting icy look or Ice Queen.)

For what it's worth, I made a sheet of ice in my freezer. I had a plastic lid for a rectangular baking sheet that worked well for this but a pyrex baking pan would also work. Just turn it over and run hot water over it to loosen.... Not sure whether this might help you get a background or a texture layer for your shot, but thought I would offer my bit of brainstorming for this challenge.

Have fun with it!

Gretchen

I actually put a pane of glass with water on it in the freezer last night... great minds! :)
    Webpage

• Options
    edited December 8, 2011
    GretaPics wrote: »
    I'm a bit distracted by too much of her chest but I like the pointed make-up. I might like a tighter crop too so I could focus more on her icy stare. GP

Thanks for the comments on the crop. Once I get some background in there I'll post a couple with a different crop. :)
    Webpage

• Options
    edited December 8, 2011
    angevin1 wrote: »
    Nothing is this photo says ice to me. I know you can add ice to it, but that is why I like viewing it this way, adding ice is not going to make this photo say ice better I don't think.

Hmm... good point. If a background/texture/thingy doesn't help, it might be back to the drawing board for me...
    Webpage

• Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2011
    Kinkajou wrote: »
    Hmm... good point. If a background/texture/thingy doesn't help, it might be back to the drawing board for me...

Foreground might though...looking thru ice versus behind~
    tom wise
  • Options
    dlsdls Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2011
    i like the different interpretation on the topic matter. if continuing along this line of thought, perhaps changing the white balance or decreasing the warm tones might help. i do like the idea of shooting through an icy pane.
  • Options
    VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2011
    I love the concept... would do it myself if I had a model... ne_nau.gif in this shot though, the stare just isn't icy... looks more sultry or sexy to me... ne_nau.gif whatever you come up with it will be competing with another icy stare which was very well done... :D agree with rest of suggestions... good luck

Winston
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2011
    Updates!

Frost texture added. Two different densities of it on the image first posted above. I've also worked up an image that has a little bit more of a cold stare. I have a TON more so I'm spending some time tonight working on a few more.

1a
    111206Ice010b-L.jpg

1b
    111206Ice010a-L.jpg

111206Ice009a-L.jpg
    Webpage

• Options
    JennJenn Registered Users Posts: 1,009 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2011
    She's too pretty for me to see "ice queen" as it is .. If she had some ice crystals in her hair I think it would work. :)
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    Panasonic Lumix 10x DMC-TZ3 :photo
    Leica Mega O.I.S./28mm WIDE :smile6
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,950 moderator
    edited December 12, 2011
    Of the images posted here, I like the first pose for the cold, haughtiness of the expression, the unusual make-up, etc. with a title reinforcing the Ice Queen connection. But not sure if that is your intention. The texture layers are challenging. They reinforce frosty - especially in the upper right where we can see the texture clearly - but tend to obscure the portrait. Wondering whether using a stronger density of the texture layer and then minimizing its effect in certain areas would help? Just a thought. Will be interested in seeing your other options.

Gretchen
  • Options
    TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2011
    Jenn wrote: »
    She's too pretty for me to see "ice queen" as it is .. If she had some ice crystals in her hair I think it would work. :)

What I see is "Doubt". She's got that look that women get when
    they are offered some implausible story from their partner about
    why the partner needs to work late again.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited December 12, 2011
    I think this is the one I'm going to go with... increased the density of the texture as suggested and chose an image with a different expression:

111206Ice025a-L.jpg

Thanks, guys!
    Webpage

• Options
    billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2011
    For what it's worth at this point... I like the one you entered best for both the expression and the texture.
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug