Naval Heros

El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins
edited December 9, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
Utah Beach Normandy, France

Sculptor Stephen Spears’s monument to the Navy's D-Day heroes at Normandy.

Bronze figures of a Navy captain and two sailors sits on a bluff overlooking Utah Beach in remembrance of the Naval service's role in World War II's pivotal amphibious invasion.

We were at Utah beach at day's end and the staff was about to lower the flags (U.S. and French) which fly alongside the monument.

I positioned myself to capture as much of the monument, in frame, as I could, and waited until the U.S. flag was lowered. The stiff breeze aided in the perfect positioning of the flag and waiting until the right moment, I got the shot I was after.

Our visit to the various beaches and the entire area, in general, was a somber, sobering, educational and enlightening experience.

Comments

• rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2011
    Exquisite timing and patience to get this! Bravo! clap.gif
  • El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2011
    Naval Heros
    rainbow wrote: »
    Exquisite timing and patience to get this! Bravo! clap.gif

Thanks Rainbow for taking the time to reply, I appreciate your comment!
  • jirojiro Registered Users Posts: 1,865 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2011
    Very good composition of the shot. I like it! Maybe, If I can suggest something, that would be to add a little extra contrast so you would have some area inside the frame that shows true black. Other than that this is really a very strongly composed shot. Nice work, Man. thumb.gifthumbthumb.gifthumb clap.gifclapclap.gif
    Sitting quietly, doing nothing. Spring comes and the grass grows by itself.

http://imagesbyjirobau.blogspot.com/
  • OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2011
    Yeah, I had the same thoughts on the blacks. I know it's real, but with the statue low contrast with greys/browns, and the flag high contrast with bright colors it seems visually mismatched and someone could mistake it for a composite. Great photo though!
  • El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2011
    Thanks!!
    Overfocused, Jiro...

Thanks for your comments and suggestions. I appreciate them.

I will take another shot at tweaking the photo as per your recommendations.