Options

Will my 85 f1.8 be enough

Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
edited November 2, 2005 in Mind Your Own Business
I was asked if I would consider taking confirmation photos for a group of 12. Individual and group, at 5 p.m. in a poorly lit church.

I still cannot afford a flash. Do I stand a chance of getting good shots? I'm thinking it wouldn't be too different from wedding photos - do they ever get done without flash or lighting.

My other lenses are the 70 - 200 f2.8 IS and the 17 - 85 mm f4 (which is great in sunlight, but..)

Thanks
ann

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2005
    Ann McRae wrote:
    I was asked if I would consider taking confirmation photos for a group of 12. Individual and group, at 5 p.m. in a poorly lit church.

I still cannot afford a flash. Do I stand a chance of getting good shots? I'm thinking it wouldn't be too different from wedding photos - do they ever get done without flash or lighting.

My other lenses are the 70 - 200 f2.8 IS and the 17 - 85 mm f4 (which is great in sunlight, but..)

Thanks
    ann

it's gonna be tough. do they get done w/out flash? sure but lighting makes the portraits so much better. at 5pm in your latitude, it's gonna be dark, esp inside the church. but you can do it. iso 1600, f/1.8, ideally 2.8 if you can squeeze it (more dof). put the individuals maybe on a chair in one of the side rooms, or in a well-lit nave or apse? use a tripod, you'll be shooting slowly i think. for the group shots, 85mm will be fairly tight ann, you'll need lots of room behind you to back up. same ligthing challenges.
  • Options
    DodgeV83DodgeV83 Registered Users Posts: 379 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2005
    Ann McRae wrote:

Thanks
    ann

The 85 with a group of 12 will be extremely hard in a NORMAL room, in a church you might be able to move back enough...but rows of seats may get in your shot. You can put them on stage, but then they will be higher than you. I'm not sure which camera you have, but use the onboard flash if you have one (even though it sucks). Onboard flash is not as good as external flash, but its better than nothing!
  • Options
    BodleyBodley Registered Users Posts: 766 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2005
    DodgeV83 wrote:
    The 85 with a group of 12 will be extremely hard in a NORMAL room,
    Probably a stupid question but here goes: What's the formula for calculating the field of view of various lenses on various cameras - 20d, 1d, 1ds

Stupid question 2: Rule of thumb for width required per person
    Greg
    "Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2005
    Bodley wrote:
    Probably a stupid question but here goes: What's the formula for calculating the field of view of various lenses on various cameras - 20d, 1d, 1ds

Stupid question 2: Rule of thumb for width required per person
    I know the 20d is 1.6x the mm of the lens. so 1.6 x 85.
    A quick google search tells me that the 1d ratio is 1.3x and the 1ds ratio is 1.

so 20d is 1.6 x 85 = 136mm
    1d is 1.3x 85 = 110.5 mm
    and the 1ds is 1 x 85 = 85mm

I don't know the answer to your other question :(
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2005
    DodgeV83 wrote:
    A quick google search tells me that the 1d ratio is 1.3x and the 1ds ratio is 1.

1d is 1.3x 85 = 110.5 mm

The above, as applies to the 20d is true.

I shoot with the 20d. I have used the 17 - 85mm at ISO 1600 w/ onboard flash for fill, for indoor team photos in an indoor soccer stadium. They were acceptable for what they were. I think a confirmation photo is going to need to be a bit better, but that may be achieved from the setting etc.

I am going to do this - I can shoot in RAW, I can use a tripod and a slow shutter, I can have access ahead of time for a test and picking a suitable setting. I cannot keep saying no to money making opportunities because I am flat broke and getting broker! It is time to 'sogotp' so to speak.(hehe, somebody should make that smiley!!!!)

ann
  • Options
    BodleyBodley Registered Users Posts: 766 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2005
    DodgeV83 wrote:

1d is 1.3x 85 = 110.5 mm

I'm looking for the relationship between the field of view (width of view) of the lens vs distance from the camera. i.e. if i'm using a 85mm lens how wide is my view at 20 feet from the camera?
    Greg
    "Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2005
    I would use the wide F 4, or at least give it a preview try. An 85 takes you pretty close to, if not at, 100 mm, in film camera thinking.

I would have that wide with me.

Having them on chairs sounds good to me.

Just think back in 1850, I think they used some slow shutter speeds. (I don't own a fast lens.) Our church photos are taken at the back of the church where we come in, and the doors can be opened. I have done that with a monopod when necessary. I would use support, and the lighting, well, it can be sad, even with RAW.

However, they won't know any better. If "they" look good, they will love it.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2005
    Is there electricity?
    Pick up two shop lights (halogen lights on stands) or you may have some that you used during your construction? Or a neighbor or friend may have some?

Get extension cord, bring lights aim slightly away from the group unless you can get in a place where the ceiling is low and bounce from ceiling.

OR -- get BIG piece of cardboard or white foamcore (can paint cardboard white or drape with white sheets). Bounce the shoplights off the white board into the group.

In other words prop up the white boards about 6 feet away from the group on each side, set up lights 3 feet from white boards (aim at the board so the light reflects into the group)

This may just give you enough light...

You could make frames out of PVC, 4 x 8 or so, and attach a white sheet and put the shop light behind it, so the light is shining through the diffusion panel, and that could go closer to the group...

Get your children to help you out at the shoot --- ? :-)
  • Options
    gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2005
    candles
    candles-lots of them-if its catholic there should be tons lying around-if not get them to buy some
    Ann McRae wrote:

Thanks
    ann
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2005
    http://www.photo.net/making-photographs/lens

Scroll down alittle bit and there will be a calculator to see how far back you gotta be.