Options

a portrait attemp

FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
edited December 10, 2011 in People
was snapping pictures at a local seminary, and grabbed this one of my second half..
thoughts? what should've been done better?

i-MHzXrJv-L.jpg

not sure if the angle works..
her nose is missing..
too much space to the right?
Arseny - the too honest guy.
My Site
My Facebook

Comments

• Options
    edited December 8, 2011
    that bad, eh?
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2011
    I wouldn't say it's a bad photograph sir, no indeed.

To me however, it doesn't look like a portrait.

I'm not wild about the fact that it looks like she's falling backward and that there is a bunch of empty space that brings nothing to the table on the right side.
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2011
    I'm on a tablet so the print might be different but you exposure seems very hot meaning you lost detail in the highlights.

You subject matter should match your background. You have a bright bkg and a dark robed subject.
  • Options
    D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2011
    As you stated yourself, no nose and detail in the face is lost. A bit hot on the light.
    The slanted scene is something that was very popular in Europe a few years ago. Not any more, what doesn't mean that it can not be pretty. It is a personal taste
    A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2011
    thank you very much gents.

I suppose, I left the picture as it is because I liked the contrast of her eyes and her coat against all the brighter areas.

D3, I seem to see the same level of detail in her nose as in shots that you have provided before. Could you explain the difference to me, please? I am not picking on you, I really am trying to understand that.
    Is it the style difference (your shots are using a soft "glow" kind of effect vs this shot sharp, no glow) or something else?
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    BrettDeutschBrettDeutsch Registered Users Posts: 365 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2011
    Foques wrote: »
    D3, I seem to see the same level of detail in her nose as in shots that you have provided before. Could you explain the difference to me, please? I am not picking on you, I really am trying to understand that.

I can't comment on D3's nose detail, but at least on my (well-calibrated) monitor your model's nose is almost invisible. So, to me that's too blown out. Just a nudge darker would help while still allowing for the contrast that you are looking for.
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2011

I suppose, I left the picture as it is because I liked the contrast of her eyes and her coat against all the brighter areas.

Is it the style difference (your shots are using a soft "glow" kind of effect vs this shot sharp, no glow) or something else?

Sure, but which one was that Foques ?
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2011
    thank you brett.
    how about this one?
    i-8jn6Cf5-XL.jpg

D3, I looked over the images again, I understand what you are pointing out. please, never mind my question.
    You smooth your model's skin, not over expose.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2011
    thank you brett.
    how about this one?
    i-8jn6Cf5-XL.jpg

D3, I looked over the images again, I understand what you are pointing out. please, never mind my question.
    You smooth your model's skin, not over expose.

No problem..
  • Options
    kelvinkelvin Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited December 10, 2011

I think you got this one perfect...... I love the effect