Options

Have not posted in a while

joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
edited December 10, 2011 in People

Comments

• Options
    Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2011
    A reasonably good shot, it's unfortunate that it looks kind of soft. Maybe that's just bad perception on my part.
  • Options
    D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2011
    A reasonably good shot, it's unfortunate that it looks kind of soft. Maybe that's just bad perception on my part.

Indeed, however the softness kind of OK for me. It seems that this is a late afternoon sun giving that golden shine on the model. That is what I think as the shadow of one of the buildings is also very much stretched. The golden light on the model could of course be from a gold reflector panel.

Can you tell us ?

Secondly, A notch less light on the background might make the overall scene more attractive . One thing is for sure, the model really comes lose from the background.thumb.gif
    A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2011
    D3Sshooter wrote: »
    Indeed, however the softness kind of OK for me. It seems that this is a late afternoon sun giving that golden shine on the model. That is what I think as the shadow of one of the buildings is also very much stretched. The golden light on the model could of course be from a gold reflector panel.

Can you tell us ?

Secondly, A notch less light on the background might make the overall scene more attractive . One thing is for sure, the model really comes lose from the background.thumb.gif

The gold and the softness are both a matter of taste. one of the reasons I got weary of posting is every time someone would say, "looks too warm." I like warm; what can i say. The softness is negative clarity in LR. Again, I like that for close up. A better effect would be to soften just the skin. In this case the client was in a rush. she actually asked for the photos RAW and said she would photoshop them herself, but no one sees my photos before they go through LR. I think darkening the background would have been a good idea.

the really good idea would have been shooting about an hour later. These people are friends who talked to my wife; I didn't really grasp going in what we were shooting or I would have suggested we do it later.

the reflector to the left is mostly white. it has some gold that is flopping down which actually showed up in the pic more than I thought it would. If i had to do it over, I would have gotten that out of the way. it shows up in this pic more than it was effecting the shot.

IMG2623-L.jpg
  • Options
    D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2011
    joshhuntnm wrote: »
    The gold and the softness are both a matter of taste. one of the reasons I got weary of posting is every time someone would say, "looks too warm." I like warm; what can i say. The softness is negative clarity in LR. Again, I like that for close up. A better effect would be to soften just the skin. In this case the client was in a rush. she actually asked for the photos RAW and said she would photoshop them herself, but no one sees my photos before they go through LR. I think darkening the background would have been a good idea.

the really good idea would have been shooting about an hour later. These people are friends who talked to my wife; I didn't really grasp going in what we were shooting or I would have suggested we do it later.

the reflector to the left is mostly white. it has some gold that is flopping down which actually showed up in the pic more than I thought it would. If i had to do it over, I would have gotten that out of the way. it shows up in this pic more than it was effecting the shot.

IMG2623-L.jpg

Thanks, and there is nothing wrong with warm colors. I use them as well every so often.
    Good to read that you use LR, so do I.
    A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2011
    Cute relative and a nice shot. I would like to see more exposure for the bkg and then bring her exposure up to that. The image seems to be a low key subject wth a high key background and that usually doesn't mix. Bringing the two exposures together would have keep the key the same.

Hey these are just opinions. If you like it and they do also go for it. But.........in a competition it would not score well.
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2011
    Hackbone wrote: »
    Cute relative and a nice shot. I would like to see more exposure for the bkg and then bring her exposure up to that. The image seems to be a low key subject wth a high key background and that usually doesn't mix. Bringing the two exposures together would have keep the key the same.

Hey these are just opinions. If you like it and they do also go for it. But.........in a competition it would not score well.

I agree. I normally like separation from the background, but, in this case, it is too much. it almost looks like it is shot on a green screen and the background is PS in.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2011
    Josh,

First, please don't stop posting, but consider if as you say everyone says "looks too warm.", it might just be too warm.

Remember what you see on your monitor and what I or others see on our monitors can be very different. Is your monitor calibrated? Without any color correction do your prints match your monitor?

In this image I do see skin tone issues. I see a little too much magenta on her cheeks and very definite yellow tone on her neck, and over all a little too warm for my tastes.

Also I believe the image would have looked better with the background better exposed, and flash used on the subject to better balance the exposures.

While you can certainly disagree my comments are not meant to be negative, just honestly what I see.

Sam
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2011
    Josh, I know a very, very famous senior photographer who makes seven times my salary and is anal about color. He even purchased a color temp meter for a thousand dollars and guess what. He likes his prints very warm also.
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2011
    Hackbone wrote: »
    Josh, I know a very, very famous senior photographer who makes seven times my salary and is anal about color. He even purchased a color temp meter for a thousand dollars and guess what. He likes his prints very warm also.

beauty is in the eyes ;-) my son Dawson like a desaturated vintage look. good for him. he makes 3X what I do on weddings. maybe I should start liking desaturated vintage. I just can't get myself to like it.
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2011
    joshhuntnm wrote: »
    The softness is negative clarity in LR. Again, I like that for close up. A better effect would be to soften just the skin. In this case the client was in a rush. she actually asked for the photos RAW and said she would photoshop them herself, but no one sees my photos before they go through LR.

I often use the negative clarity brush in LR to do a quick fix on close-ups of women. If you use the auto-mask feature it is a pretty effective quick-and-dirty retouch. And I have yet to encounter a situation that would have induced me to turn over my raw file. Work Done for Hire, maybe, but I've never done that.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.