Options

Rattle in 20D

yoyostockyoyostock Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
edited October 26, 2005 in Cameras
I just bought a 20D, with the 18-55mm kit lens. I noticed that there is a slight rattling sound when the camea is lightly shook. Does anyone know what that is and whether that's good/bad? Normal/broken? I took a few test shots and everything seemed to be OK.

Comments

• Options
    KA0TVOKA0TVO Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2005
    It may be the lens. Another Dgriner has the same problem, slight rattle and a little sensitive on manual focus. Otherwise seems to be ok.
    Bob
  • Options
    gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2005
    i have one too
    mine is very ,very slight and comes from inside the grip part near the corner and i suspect it is casing related-perhaps from gripping too tight when out in the field-it dosent bother me but could probably be corrected without too much drama
    KA0TVO wrote:
    It may be the lens. Another Dgriner has the same problem, slight rattle and a little sensitive on manual focus. Otherwise seems to be ok.
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
  • Options
    ChaseChase Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2005
    Perfectly normal. In fact good. I have heard that it is the orientation sensor to see whther the camer is sideways or horizontal. :D
    www.chase.smugmug.com
    I just press the button and the camera goes CLICK. :dunno
    Canon: gripped 20d and 30d, 10-22 3.5-4.5, 17-55 IS, 50mm f1.8, 70-200L IS, 85mm f1.8, 420ex
    sigma: 10-20 4-5.6 (for sale), 24-70 2.8 (for sale), 120-300 2.8
  • Options
    yoyostockyoyostock Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2005
    I did some more research and it looks like it's a combo of the orientation sensor and the flash unit. However, it sounds like it's coming from the lens...if I hold on to the lens and give it a gentle jiggle, the sounds significantly goes away. I took a few test shots and seems fine though.
    Chase wrote:
    Perfectly normal. In fact good. I have heard that it is the orientation sensor to see whther the camer is sideways or horizontal. :D
  • Options
    BystanderBystander Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited October 26, 2005
    Is it the lens?
    yoyostock wrote:
    I just bought a 20D, with the 18-55mm kit lens. I noticed that there is a slight rattling sound when the camea is lightly shook. Does anyone know what that is and whether that's good/bad? Normal/broken? I took a few test shots and everything seemed to be OK.

Are you shaking your camera? If so -- stop it!

My 17 - 85 IS len rattles slightly when shook (I am trying to avoid doing that!) I assume its something to do with the IS function?!
    ne_nau.gif
    My SmugMug Gallery

http://frank-winters.artistwebsites.com/

Seeking the Decisive Moment, thanks Henri
  • Options
    3rdPlanetPhotography3rdPlanetPhotography Banned Posts: 920 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2005
    I would say it's the lens. I have the same issue. The camera seems to be sound but the defualt lens is pretty crappy. I can get some decent photos with that lens, however, if slightly shaken it will raddle pretty bad. I seem to have a LOT of play in the focus ring as well and I think that's where most of the problem is. ne_nau.gif

kc7dji