Sports Shots w/Cartoon Filter?

MDalbyMDalby Registered Users Posts: 697 Major grins
edited December 27, 2011 in Sports
I of course really respect you guys and you are my voice of reason. Please give me your honest opinion on something before I make a software investment.

Have any of you played around with some interesting filters for a change of pace like filters that would convert a shot to a cartoon look?

I am just looking for some different things to do for the HS kids for a change of pace. The kids have nicknames for each other and I thought I would enhance that maybe with a superhero with cartoon speech bubble maybe in some shots... Just trying to think outside the box a little.

I have been looking at some Photoshop filters called Toonit ($120).

I have included the original shot and a couple of different looks from the filters in Photoshop.

Do these do anything for you? Do you think this is something that would be an interesting additional offering to provide?

Thoughts?

MTD7744filtered-L.jpg

Cartoon Filter #1
i-KN3SvcX-L.jpg

Cartoon Filter #2
i-2zSZktf-L.jpg
Nikon D4, 400 2.8 AF-I, 70-200mm 2.8 VR II, 24-70 2.8
CBS Sports MaxPreps Shooter
http://DalbyPhoto.com

Comments

• aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2011
    I like #2.
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2011
    I have shot high school bb for about six years. First and foremost the players and families just appreciate a good capture. Not sure that it would be worth spending the money for the product. If you give out digital shots, they can pshop it to their heart's content. If you get it, be careful that you do not make any particular player the object of laughter -- tread carefully. For example, it can be argued that the object of your posted shot already has a cartoonish face. If you show this to players/parents as an example, it might be taken badly...
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2011
    I think it would have an application in posters
    Rags
  • SnapLocallySnapLocally Registered Users Posts: 185 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2011
    I much prefer the original capture. I find the filter- for a lack of a better term- "cheesy".
  • AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2011
    Not a fan of this - that doesn't mean the kids won't like it ... but it doesn't do anything for me.
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
    www.acecootephotography.com
  • MDalbyMDalby Registered Users Posts: 697 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2011
    I took the dive. I just wanted something new and kinda fun. Here are a couple that I did today. I am calling them Legend HS Superheros. So far the photos have had quite a bit of activity from students on Facebook, which is what I was wanting. Just something fun.

Jonas-Santana-XL.jpg

#2 - This player is Connor Orgill, hence the nickname CO2
    Connor-Orgill-XL.jpg
  • aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2011
    I think your posters are terrific! I can definitely see a HS'er proudly displaying one these in their room.
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2011
    I like your posters with the text balloons. Quite nice. I've played with ToonIt! myself but never bought it. I liked their graphic novel effect. In fact, maybe you could do a short graphic novel of a game from one team's perspective, turn it into either an ebook or a photo book.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
    edited December 22, 2011
    Good to hear that you guys think they are a nice addition. Here are a couple more that I have done.

This players name is Derrick White. His family calls him Dwight as a nick name. All the players call him D White. He is one of the leading scorers in the state.
    Derrick-White-L.jpg

This players name is Phil McNiff, so I made a name alteration...
    Phil-McNiff-L.jpg

This players uni number is 11 and players call him train tracks due to the 11.
    Steele-Krause-L.jpg
    edited December 22, 2011
    mercphoto wrote: »
    I like your posters with the text balloons. Quite nice. I've played with ToonIt! myself but never bought it. I liked their graphic novel effect. In fact, maybe you could do a short graphic novel of a game from one team's perspective, turn it into either an ebook or a photo book.

Bill,

I am not very creative when it comes to the verbiage to make a ebook. I had to struggle just to get these few speech balloons. Here are a couple of different filter samples. I agree, I also like the graphic novel filter, some subtle differences.

i-gwnnVPW-L.jpg

i-rmCvdC2-L.jpg
  • Moving PicturesMoving Pictures Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2011
    I don't like it one bit. Which, given my hip-factor, means that the kids will love the hell out of it and twice as much for yearbooks.
    Newspaper photogs specialize in drive-by shootings.
    Forum for Canadian shooters: www.canphoto.net
  • cr8ingwavescr8ingwaves Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2011
    I wasn't digging the first samples posted but the others are a lot of fun. Have you tried any other relaxed fonts? If ever Comic Sans needed to be used.....this would be it. Others to consider....Andy, Enviro, Maiandra GD, Parade.

edit to add:
    Just showed these to my husband who is a comic geek....he LOVED them. Might have to purchase this just for the fun of editing some of his power lifting photos.