Options

DSS 91 - Ice, C&C Please!

Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
edited December 26, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
Well it's nearly midnight here in Florida, and I've been contemplating boring ideas for a while, when suddenly this one came to me. I've been stuck in D.C. for the last few days, and there was no ice or snow there really...disappointing, came home tonight, and I was unexpectedly inspired. I hope you think it's as nifty as I did, but please critique liberally.

Just a 580 EX II behind a green jar filled with ice, and a Canon 7D w/ 50mm f/1.8 at f/8 and 1/250.

IMG8463-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2011
    I think you need to establish that what is in the jar is ice. Yeah, you can tell
    us it's ice, but it looks like pickles.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2011
    TonyCooper wrote: »
    I think you need to establish that what is in the jar is ice. Yeah, you can tell
    us it's ice, but it looks like pickles.

I feel like I'm seeing a different picture, or am not sure what sort of pickles you are dealing with haha. Maybe my color is off and I'm seeing it wrong.
  • Options
    kwickerskwickers Registered Users Posts: 310 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2011
    looks like glowing green ice to me! I like it. There is some red flare around the base from the backlight.
    Photos.KeithWickersham.com
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2011
    kwickers wrote: »
    looks like glowing green ice to me! I like it. There is some red flare around the base from the backlight.

Haha, well good, I was hoping I was not crazy. I did try to remove it all, but I guess I missed it and I can't see it on my monitor. I tried to burn it out, but is there a better way of getting it while maintaining the nice reflection? I'm not a PS master...

Edit: So, my wife knew it was ice, but she said it would be easy to misinterpret as pickles hahaha. I'm sorry I was so hardheaded about it. I don't see that at all, but that's because I took the picture.

I will contemplate ways to make this more obviously ice...

or find a more interesting idea.
  • Options
    JennJenn Registered Users Posts: 1,009 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2011
    I'm torn... I like the way the light hits the ice, but I wish the reflection in front of it was a full reflection of the jar.
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    Panasonic Lumix 10x DMC-TZ3 :photo
    Leica Mega O.I.S./28mm WIDE :smile6
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2011
    Jenn wrote: »
    I'm torn... I like the way the light hits the ice, but I wish the reflection in front of it was a full reflection of the jar.

I love the reflection too, I may reshoot this tonight and maximize the reflection. I know I need to remove the hot spot on the right as well.
  • Options
    Pixel PopperPixel Popper Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2011
    To get away from the idea of the subject being pickles, you might try changing the color of the glass to something more blue than green. I would also look at highlighting parts of the cubes themselves so that the edges and little cracks get closer to white than gray. I think those two changes would nudge this image closer to being obviously ice.