Nikon to Canon adapters

mglaielmglaiel Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
edited December 12, 2011 in Cameras
I have a Nikon D70 that is on it's last legs and I am leaning towards a Canon 5D Mark 2. I have at least 6 Nikon lens and was wondering about the adapters to use Nikon lens on Canon cameras.

Have any of you actually used an adapter so you can use your Nikon lens on a Canon 5D mark 2?

Do all the functions work? Are some adapters better than others?

Comments

• ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2011
    The big thing with adapters is that autofocus does not work. Some adapters offer MF focus confirmation, some don't.

I don't think it's worth it. About the only Nikon lens that Canon doesn't offer is the 14-24. If you don't have/need that lens, you could sell your lenses and get the Canon equivalents.
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2011
    mglaiel wrote: »
    I have a Nikon D70 that is on it's last legs and I am leaning towards a Canon 5D Mark 2. I have at least 6 Nikon lens and was wondering about the adapters to use Nikon lens on Canon cameras.

Have any of you actually used an adapter so you can use your Nikon lens on a Canon 5D mark 2?

Yes! And I recommend it if you're shooting video especially, and/or you have time to MF. I use a fotodix-pro lens adapter and haven't had issue 1.

It is very common to use adapters to utilize so many wonderful Nikon, and other lenses.
    tom wise
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,077 moderator
    edited December 10, 2011
    If any of your Nikon lenses are a "G" type I believe there is only one adapter that allows diaphragm/f-stop control with those lenses, and it's still manual control.

If you are familiar with old manual focus cameras and if you remember the old "preset" lenses that were available, that's approximately what your Nikon lenses would become; manual everything with the right adapter. (Loss of aperture function with the wrong adapter.)

If the thought of losing AF automation, losing aperture automation and having to manually set the aperture wide open to manual focus and then manually stop down to shoot, if the thought of doing all that manually does not appeal to you, then I recommend other courses of action.

I have a Canon 5D MKII and I do love and appreciate it for what it can do, but I mostly use fully automated Canon-mount lenses with it for speed and convenience. I will occasionally use old manual focus lenses on the 5D MKII, mostly old Pentax screwmount lenses, and mostly special purpose lenses that are worth the trouble.

If any of your lenses are DX lenses, they will not fully cover the Canon 5D MKII imager. That's because they are designed for Nikon crop 1.5x bodies, like your Nikon D70. FX mount lenses are required in order to use the full imager of the 5D MKII.

If you want to stay with Nikon the D700 has some very desirable qualities, but it too requires the use of FX lenses.

The Nikon D7000 would make an excellent upgrade from your D70, and it should accept pretty much anything you could put on the D70 (I think).

It would be helpful to know exactly what lenses you have in order to make a true recommendation.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • mglaielmglaiel Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited December 10, 2011
    The big thing with adapters is that autofocus does not work. Some adapters offer MF focus confirmation, some don't.

I don't think it's worth it. About the only Nikon lens that Canon doesn't offer is the 14-24. If you don't have/need that lens, you could sell your lenses and get the Canon equivalents.

My original question asked if anybody HAS USED an adapter.

What did we do before auto focus? Almost all of us have used MF film cameras for years before the auto focus came around.

It is not a matter of lenses that Nikon has and Canon doesn't it is the cost of getting new lenses. Have you ever tried to sell a nice lens? You will only get a fraction of what you paid for it.

Thanks angevin1 that's what I'm looking for somebody who has actually used an adapter. I will look into the photodix
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2011
    Dear lord, why would you do a thing like that? Right when Nikon has an incredibly superior still camera, and has finally entered the 1080p game as well? I'm confused as to WHY you would switch, however if you do not wish to discuss it now, I understand.

As far as adapters are concerned, yes they are easy to focus with, no you do not retain all functions; you must operate the aperture manually for older AF-D lenses and you must use an expensive (I think) adapter to have aperture control of the newer AFS-G lenses. (Any Nikkor without a mechanical aperture ring.)

All in all, unless you shoot landscapes or other still photography, I just wouldn't recommend the switch. Even then, if you shoot landscapes and video and want the 5D mk2 sensor for that, well, ...Nikon is just months away from releasing a D800, allegedly, that could have 36 megapixels and will certainly have 1080p video...

I would consider simply *adding* a Canon system to your bag, though. The sensors do have great colors, especially for portraits. But I'd rather just buy a 5D mk2 and a few good Canon primes like the 35 f/2, 50 1.4, and 85 1.8... Unless you have specific specialty or high-end lenses that Canon may not make or would cost a ton to switch to...

Good luck!

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
    edited December 11, 2011
    Dear lord, why would you do a thing like that? Right when Nikon has an incredibly superior still camera, and has finally entered the 1080p game as well? I'm confused as to WHY you would switch, however if you do not wish to discuss it now, I understand.

As far as adapters are concerned, yes they are easy to focus with, no you do not retain all functions; you must operate the aperture manually for older AF-D lenses and you must use an expensive (I think) adapter to have aperture control of the newer AFS-G lenses. (Any Nikkor without a mechanical aperture ring.)

All in all, unless you shoot landscapes or other still photography, I just wouldn't recommend the switch. Even then, if you shoot landscapes and video and want the 5D mk2 sensor for that, well, ...Nikon is just months away from releasing a D800, allegedly, that could have 36 megapixels and will certainly have 1080p video...

I would consider simply *adding* a Canon system to your bag, though. The sensors do have great colors, especially for portraits. But I'd rather just buy a 5D mk2 and a few good Canon primes like the 35 f/2, 50 1.4, and 85 1.8... Unless you have specific specialty or high-end lenses that Canon may not make or would cost a ton to switch to...

Good luck!

=Matt=

The Canon is a full frame sensor that does the HD video for $2000. Has a proven track record.

The Nikon D800 not even out yet and $4000. Any more reasons needed?

My original question was about adapters to use Nikon lenses on a Canondeal.gif, not switching entire systems. That way I still have the Nikon lenses when they finally have a full frame with HD video.
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2011
    The Canon is a full frame sensor that does the HD video for $2000. Has a proven track record.

The Nikon D800 not even out yet and $4000. Any more reasons needed?

My original question was about adapters to use Nikon lenses on a Canondeal.gif, not switching entire systems. That way I still have the Nikon lenses when they finally have a full frame with HD video.

Canon will probably always have an edge on Nikon in the video department, considering the experience in video equipment production in general. If you need ful-frame 1080p for around $2000, it will probably be 2-3 years before that becomes available in a Nikon mount. No more reason needed!

BTW, in response to the other input- Which Nikkor lenses do you have? Like I said, the AFS-G ones will not work with just any adapter, but thankfully more and more have been hitting the market lately, and they're not ALL extremely expensive like I had originally feared. (Although for what seems like the best, from the super-geeks at 16-9.net, you'll pay $200+...) Anyways, good luck!

=Matt=
    edited December 11, 2011

BTW, in response to the other input- Which Nikkor lenses do you have? Like I said, the AFS-G ones will not work with just any adapter, but thankfully more and more have been hitting the market lately, and they're not ALL extremely expensive like I had originally feared. (Although for what seems like the best, from the super-geeks at 16-9.net, you'll pay $200+...) Anyways, good luck!

=Matt=

I have 300 4 D, 80-200 2.8D, 105 micro AF, 80 1.8 AF and the 18-70 DX that came with the D70.
    I know the 18-70 won't cover the full frame but I was hoping I could use the others since it is almost 4-5000 to get the equivalent Canon.

Canon has the 5d mk2 refurbished for a good price
    edited December 12, 2011
    I have 300 4 D, 80-200 2.8D, 105 micro AF, 80 1.8 AF and the 18-70 DX that came with the D70.
    I know the 18-70 won't cover the full frame but I was hoping I could use the others since it is almost 4-5000 to get the equivalent Canon.

Canon has the 5d mk2 refurbished for a good price

Well then you're in luck, all those other lenses are AF-D, so you can get any ol' adapter, not a special fancy one. Unless you want to! Unfortunately it looks like Angevin is the only one who has had experience with adapters, the rest of us aren't being very useful Laughing.gif. But, check out the adapter she recommended!

=Matt=
    edited December 12, 2011
    Thanks for all your info.

Now I have to decide to get a refurbished 5D M2 from Canon or new.