Options

Pearl Harbor Memorial Ceremony

moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,419 Major grins
edited December 13, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
This past Wednesday marked the 70th Anniversary of the attacks on Pearl Harbor. The American Airpower Museum on Long Island once again hosted a memorial ceremony. In a tradition began in 1970, a bouquet of roses, one for each year since the attack, are blessed with water taken from near the USS Arizona, and then are dropped near the Statue of Liberty at the precise time of the attack. I'm a volunteer at the museum, and have been attending these ceremonies for the past six years. Beyond photographing the events, I've been honored to talk with some of the survivors of that day, hearing first hand their stories.

JM20111207AAMPearlHarborCeremo-XL.jpg

Survivors Gerard Barbosa (saluting) and Bernard Berner

Commanding officer of our local Air National Guard wing listens to survivor Michael Montelione talk about his memories of the attack.

Unfortunately, there was an empty seat at the ceremony.
Bill Halleran, 93, was scheduled to attend, as he had many times in the past. Mr. Halleran, and his brother, were serving aboard the USS Phoenix, a light cruiser, on December 7th. His brother also survived, passing away three years ago. Mr. Halleran helped organize the Long Island Chapter of the Pearl Harbor Survivors Organization. Monday night he was hospitalized after suffering a stroke, and sadly passed away Friday, two days after the anniversary. I consider myself fortunate to have spoken with him at past memorials.

Comments

• Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2011
    Thank you for sharing these. #6 thumb.gif

May I ask .. what does the white rose symbolize?
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2011
    Thank you Mary! In recent years, they added one white rose to remember those lost on September 11.
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2011
    moose135 wrote: »
    Thank you Mary! In recent years, they added one white rose to remember those lost on September 11.

That was a very nice thing for them to do :D Thank you for letting me know.
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,322 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2011
    Hi John,

This is a very fitting tribute to those who deserve the honor. I've always relished the opportunity to talk with the guys who were there....whether it was Pearl Harbor or wherever. Sadly, those opportunities are fading rapidly.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited December 12, 2011
    Thank you, Tom. I've often said that as much as I enjoy playing with the aircraft at the museum, the best part of working there is the opportunity to meet many of these veterans, hear their stories first hand, and thank them for their service.
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2011
    Wonderful set, Moose! The shots are great; the stories of sacrifice from those survivors are even greater. I am glad you are able to listen. Thanks for sharing.

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2011
    Thank you, Lauren!