Dgrin Meetup: Not Lunar Eclipse

DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
edited December 15, 2011 in Landscapes
anonymouscuban [thread=211331]posted[/thread] about our trip this morning with Marc and Doug to the mountains above Santa Barbara. We didn't get good shots of the moon for a lot of reasons, the biggest being that we couldn't get to a vantage point where we could shoot the moon with a long focal length (200mm or longer) and ALSO have something of interest in the foreground. I got a wider shot, but really it wasn't all that interesting. So no lunar eclipse from me, either.

I'll be adding more pics to this thread, but here's the first. Don't blame Marc for this shot, but he gave me a ton of help with advice on processing it.

1647743620_hmbCP4p-XL.jpg
Moderator Emeritus
Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops

Comments

• DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2011
    anonymouscuban, a little less anonymous:

1625893290_TXMR5mk-XL.jpg
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited December 10, 2011
    The marine layer rolling in over Catalina Island.

1625906042_9wxMVgj-XL.jpg

and an alt. version.

1625926993_6gw7pKg-XL.jpg
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited December 10, 2011
    Watching the sunrise.

1625921670_SwbXQjm-XL.jpg
    Moderator Emeritus
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,341 moderator
    edited December 10, 2011
    DavidTO wrote: »
    1625906042_9wxMVgj-S.jpg

Wow - love this one!

--- Denise
    edited December 10, 2011

Wow - love this one!

--- Denise

Thanks, Denise! You prefer it over the alt? I just can't decide on those two, I need to sit with it. Or maybe it's not that big a difference?
    Moderator Emeritus
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,341 moderator
    edited December 10, 2011
    Thanks, Denise! You prefer it over the alt? I just can't decide on those two, I need to sit with it. Or maybe it's not that big a difference?
    I like them both, but yes, I do prefer this one. It has a little more mystery to it.

--- Denise
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited December 10, 2011
    Right on you guys. You got some great landscapes even though the fog turned out to be a bummer for the eclipse. I drove in-land and got some moonshots, but no landscapes. I hope the weather is better for 2014. deal.gif
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2011
    Nice David. Love that first one with the fisheye. Also the fog shots. The one of me, not so much.

BTW, I tossed all my moon shots. I think I need to start doing drills... waking up in the middle of the night, going in my backyard to practice focusing and adjusting camera settings in total darkness. Like soldiers clean and assemble their weapons with a blind fold on. Maybe then I will be prepared for the lunar eclipse of 2014. Well, that is if the world doesn't end in 2012.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
    edited December 11, 2011
    Nice David. Love that first one with the fisheye. Also the fog shots. The one of me, not so much.

BTW, I tossed all my moon shots. I think I need to start doing drills... waking up in the middle of the night, going in my backyard to practice focusing and adjusting camera settings in total darkness. Like soldiers clean and assemble their weapons with a blind fold on. Maybe then I will be prepared for the lunar eclipse of 2014. Well, that is if the world doesn't end in 2012.

Yah, the fish isn't flattering, but I like having a shot of you out in the field! I'm with you on the working in the dark thing. That one shot of mine we all thought was going to be a winner ended up being a loser. :cry
    Moderator Emeritus
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2011
    Great stuff, even though you didn't get the moon!
    edited December 11, 2011
    Andy wrote: »
    Great stuff, even though you didn't get the moon!

Thanks, Andy. This is where I was set up, and I just gave up partway through the eclipse, since the moon was shrouded in clouds and it didn't look like it would clear in time. Turns out it did, just enough, and I think Marc got something useable from it. Maybe he'll post it.

This shot I'm posting is a pano that's been slapped together, I'm not going to finish it, there are too many flaws in it to make it worth the time it would take to clean it up, I think. This was shot with a 50mm. A longer lens would have been much preferable for shooting the eclipse, but like I said in the fist post, we couldn't get far back enough to do that and also have an interesting composition. We should have brought in a cherry picker! :D

The moon is already more than half eclipsed by the earth at this point, but the clouds were diffusing the light so much that you couldn't tell. Which is why I moved on (prematurely).

20111211-ben24im1jpnu8kggtmmcyu4436.png
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited December 11, 2011
    OK, as soon as I said I wouldn't work on, I ended up diving right in. Here's a rework.

1626850430_94dq8c9-XL.jpg
    Moderator Emeritus
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2011
    I like it David. Only thing that bothers me is the rock in the right foreground. It's OOF. This is the issue I had with all my moon shots.. that stupid OOF rock in the foreground.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
    edited December 11, 2011
    I like it David. Only thing that bothers me is the rock in the right foreground. It's OOF. This is the issue I had with all my moon shots.. that stupid OOF rock in the foreground.

Yup, which is why I darkened it, maybe not enough in the re-work.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2011
    Wow, these are incredible. I've put up with the marine layer way too much, but I've never seen it rolling in like a wave. Very nice. thumb.gif

1625906042_9wxMVgj-XL.jpg

and an alt. version.

1625926993_6gw7pKg-XL.jpg
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
    edited December 13, 2011
    BeachBill wrote: »
    Wow, these are incredible. I've put up with the marine layer way too much, but I've never seen it rolling in like a wave. Very nice. thumb.gif

Thanks! It's all a matter of perspective, I guess. You get high enough and the flat gray blah turns into something else!
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2011
    absolutely love the first image David, tack sharp, wonderful composition. Looks like moonscape!
    edited December 15, 2011
    Doug Solis wrote: »
    absolutely love the first image David, tack sharp, wonderful composition. Looks like moonscape!

Thanks, Doug! Just saw your post.

Also, I replaced that first image with a re-processing. thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2011
    Thanks for the use of your fisheye David :)

i-Lg2wwSs-L.jpg

Took this one with my 50mm once the kids showed up. Kinda fun with them all looking at and working their phones!

i-PKdKFt3-L.jpg
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2011
    I've said it on Facebook and Google+ but I'll say it again...awesome shot Marc bowdown.gif
    Now about that tutorial... mwink.gif
  • Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2011