A Couple Of Really Old Gates

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
edited December 18, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
St-Augustine-1-24-10-033-X2.jpg

St-Augustine-8-13-11-028-X2.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2011
    These are really quite beautiful Tom. I especially like the splash of color the flowers bring to #2 and also the framing that the greenery adds. Is this yet another area of St. Augustine that I missed on my visit? mwink.gif

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2011
    Jack'll do wrote: »
    These are really quite beautiful Tom. I especially like the splash of color the flowers bring to #2 and also the framing that the greenery adds. Is this yet another area of St. Augustine that I missed on my visit? mwink.gif

Yo Jack,

Many thanks for the nice comment. Yea, these are St. Augustine scenes. Maybe they'll serve as an impetus for you to get your hiney back down my way. Cool weather is the norm now...no reason for you not to come. Mi Casa es Su Casa.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • R.JayR.Jay Registered Users Posts: 974 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2011
    Hi Tom, I really like #2 as well - great composition.

Cheers, Richard.
    edited December 13, 2011
    R.Jay wrote: »
    Hi Tom, I really like #2 as well - great composition.

Cheers, Richard.

Hi Richard,

It's great to hear from you. I hope all is well with you.

Thanks for the nice comment,

Tom
  • moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2011
    These are well done, Tom. I agree, #2 is my favorite, but both are very nice. You seem to have found some interesting "portals" down your way!
    edited December 14, 2011
    moose135 wrote: »
    These are well done, Tom. I agree, #2 is my favorite, but both are very nice. You seem to have found some interesting "portals" down your way!

Hi John,

St. Augustine has more old ( really old ) gates, windows, courtyards, balconies, walls, etc., etc., than you can imagine. I've had one preservation group down there approach me about helping them do a nice book featuring nothing but gates, windows, and courtyards. I've informed them that I would be happy to do new shooting for them, as well as open up my archives to their effort, but emphasized that they should solicit the works of other photographers too. Done right... and knowing them, it would be....it could be a very nice book.

An appealing aspect to this project is that, through the group's influence with the right people, I would get access to some beautiful homes and courtyards that I would NEVER, NEVER get close to otherwise. As always, financing a project like this one ( private funding only ) can be a stumbling block. We'll see how it goes.

I appreciate the kind words.

Tom
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2011
    #2 is my favorite too. I like how you shot it ... makes it more mysterious :D

Question tho .. what are those yellow balls on the ground?
    edited December 15, 2011
    Dogdots wrote: »
    #2 is my favorite too. I like how you shot it ... makes it more mysterious :D

Question tho .. what are those yellow balls on the ground?

Thanks for looking in, Mary.

Those yellow balls are actually grapefruit that have fallen off of a tree just out of view. Darlene's mom has a home not far from this one and her orange and grapefruit trees have enough fruit on them to feed an army.

Take care....bundle up,

Tom
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2011
    #2 is a tasty morsel of beauty amidst jungle confusion--love it!
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2011
    Thanks for looking in, Mary.

Those yellow balls are actually grapefruit that have fallen off of a tree just out of view. Darlene's mom has a home not far from this one and her orange and grapefruit trees have enough fruit on them to feed an army.

Take care....bundle up,

Tom

Yummy ... love grapefruit. Thanks for letting me know :D

No snow yet ... bummer photography wise :cry
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2011
    Are the bricks in the wall really blue?
    I really like the way you set up the framing effect in the second one.
    One for me doesn't really have a subject that jumps out ...still a cool spot.
    edited December 15, 2011
    redleash wrote: »
    #2 is a tasty morsel of beauty amidst jungle confusion--love it!

Thanks for looking in, Lauren.

That area around this gate really is like a jungle. I felt like Bwana Jim, getting in close to grab the shot.:D

Tom
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2011
    Bwana Jim - That's what I'm going to call you from now on. Or maybe "BJ." rolleyes1.gif

I'd love to come over there and help you shoot old gates, doors, etc. One of my favorite subjects.

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
    edited December 15, 2011
    zoomer wrote: »
    Are the bricks in the wall really blue?
    I really like the way you set up the framing effect in the second one.
    One for me doesn't really have a subject that jumps out ...still a cool spot.

Hi Mike,

Yes, the wall material is actually bluish....the color you see there is accurate. Like many, many walls, homes, structures of all kinds in St. Augustine, the " bricks " are actually slabs of coquina. Depending on what location the coquina came from, the color could range from the blue you see here, to a more neutral beige ( as in the first photo, which also has coquina walls ), and even to hues that have a pinkish color. Apart from getting smashed by cannon balls....which happened a lot in ancient St. Augustine....this coquina stuff is practically indestructible.

I appreciate the visit,

Tom
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2011
    Nice nooks where every day would be a sunny Sunday afternoon! I have seen a similar organic conglomerate material in old buildings along the eastern coast of Saudi Arabia, but all a pale greyish beige. Perhaps it was actually coral. You know, I would have difficulty believing that the stuff was totally inert, and I would be expecting to see moist and shiny tendrils appear out of it here and there, intensely following some inscrutable instinct in my direction!eek7.gif

May your old gates keep on comin' as I hope the happy Christmases do for you, Tom!

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2011
    Yo Jack,

Many thanks for the nice comment. Yea, these are St. Augustine scenes. Maybe they'll serve as an impetus for you to get your hiney back down my way. Cool weather is the norm now...no reason for you not to come. Mi Casa es Su Casa.

Tom

Probably be giving you a call round about early March. If you'd like to shoot some real great ice/snow scenes hop up here in Jan or Feb....I dare ya :D

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
    edited December 18, 2011
    NeilL wrote: »
    Nice nooks where every day would be a sunny Sunday afternoon! I have seen a similar organic conglomerate material in old buildings along the eastern coast of Saudi Arabia, but all a pale greyish beige. Perhaps it was actually coral. You know, I would have difficulty believing that the stuff was totally inert, and I would be expecting to see moist and shiny tendrils appear out of it here and there, intensely following some inscrutable instinct in my direction!eek7.gif

May your old gates keep on comin' as I hope the happy Christmases do for you, Tom!

Neil

It's always an honor to hear from your quarters, Neil. I thank you Sir for the visit.

Man, you've got me scared to get around coquina now. I'm really not up to duking it out with moist and shiny tendrils. :hide

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, my friend,

Tom