Options

There's always a first time...

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited December 12, 2011 in People
First time taking maternity photos. I'll admit, I was a little lost on posing since I've never shot maternity and I haven't paid much attention to these types of photos. I went with my gut and I think I got some decent stuff. I'm pretty sure she'll love them because she mentioned at the end that she did look up maternity shots and it seemed that we worked through all the poses she liked.

Here are a few. Would love to hear some feedback that I can incorporate into the next one should I ever do another baby bump session.

1 - She didn't want to smile at first. When I finally got her to smile, I told her she was crazy to think she doesn't look good when she smiles. She says she squints when she smiles, which she does so I made sure my strobe was positioned to get as much light to them as possible.
DSC4605-Edit-X2.jpg

DSC4599-Edit-X2.jpg

3 - Slightly different processing here. A little edgier but not too much
DSC4608-Edit-X2.jpg

4 - Not sure about this one. Her belly wasn't that big, especially for being 2 weeks from delivery and I don't know if this pose flatters her. I tried from a few different angles and this was the best one
DSC4656-Edit-X2.jpg

DSC4686-Edit-X2.jpg

DSC4680-Edit-X2.jpg

DSC4589-Edit-X2.jpg
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2011
    Cute set Cuban! And she sure is adorable :D

May I throw in my 2 cents? iloveyou.gif

#1: I'd have shot from lower ... not that there is anything wrong with that photo ...
    #2: Think the one is my favorite, bet it looks pretty in b&w also!
    #3: Hm, like your other processing better, but that might be just me :D
    #4: Nope, pose doesn't work ... or rather the "wrapping". There is too much fabric and it's not tight enough on her body. You don't see the round belly because it's mostly covered. I would have shown more of the top part of the belly so you get a nice B-form (boobies + belly), like this it just looks like she's a big girl ...
    #5: Cute, but I do think there is too much fabric on the top (and not snug enough on her body)
    #6: just like my comment above
    #7: Nice
  • Options
    D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2011
    I tend to go along with Agnieszka, It is difficult to do something new or different with this topic. And for your first time, you did well.
    As a last observation, I find the clothing/draping really not appealing at all, its baggy and the colors do not match that well. Why not something more elegant, something that brings out the sensitive feminine side of the women. After all they are the prettiest when they are pregnant. But that is just a personal taste.
    A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2011
    Thanks Angie and DS. Really appreciate the feedback. I'm sure I'll probably end up doing another maternity session so your feedback helps. I told her to wear a small tube top and maybe bring a cardigan sweater. Basically stuff that will cover her lady bumps but still show the belly. She brought the fabric. I tried my best to pin it tight but I guess I failed. I'm really happy with the lighting and poses, but I do agree that the wraps were not so great. I still think (hope) she'll be happy with them.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    BrettDeutschBrettDeutsch Registered Users Posts: 365 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2011
    7 is definitely my favorite. Great shot -- the rim light really sets off the beautiful curve.