Options

Second Set of Eyes on Darkness of a proof

BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
edited December 21, 2011 in Finishing School
Hello All-

I have been soft proofing a Blurb book in Photoshop CS5, and am having a really hard time with one of the shots I am working on. It is a picture of our late great dogs Marty and Chloe I want to get into a book for the wife for Free Loot Day. Marty was a white Great Pyrenees and Chloe was a black Newfoundland. However when I look at the image after I adjusted it under soft proofing view I think it might be too dark.

First my setup, I am using an iMac27 with the glossy screen (only option) and a Huey Pro for calibration. I calibrated the monitor and then used the Blurb icc profile under soft proofing in PSCS5. However I am still worried that when I look at the image under non soft proofing situations it is too dark.

Here is the corrected image:
i-kmMGm4c-L.jpg

Here is the uncorrected for softproofing image (basically SOOC RAW):
i-Dxxn5Ks-L.jpg

I am worried that when I look at it under soft proofing without darkening it, Chloe was grey more than black. So I adjusted the Black Point and it looks better under soft proofing. I was hoping to get a second set of eyes on it to assuage my fears.

I don't think the Blurb books are covered under the SmugMug guarantee, but the bigger reason I worry is that I want to get the gift right the first time. So any and all comments are welcome.
-=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact

Comments

• Options
    basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2011
    my 2 penny's
    on my non proofed , non calibrated monitor , #2 looks correct
    in #1 , the darks are too dark
    hope it helps
  • Options
    PeanoPeano Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2011
    The top image (labeled "corrected") is too dark. In the black areas here, the shadows are blocked (0.0.0.). There is no shadow
    detail in those areas, nothing but solid black.

blocked.jpg

For what it's worth, I would consider a square crop for that one, with a vignette to pull attention into the center of interest.

dogso.jpg
  • Options
    BinaryFxBinaryFx Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2011
    For me, this image is all about contrast/detail - in both highlights and shadows.

Regards,

Stephen Marsh
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2011
    Technique, schmechnique - the real thing here is................. PUPPPIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, moving on to the question: agree with the others in that #1 is too dark. #2 doesn't look "grey" on my Huey-calibrated laptop monitor - her coat looks to have that slightly bronzy quality on the dark fur (which I'd suspect is probably the reality, since most Newfies I've seen looked like that). FWIW, my laptop monitor can be a little low contrast, but I don't find it lacking much pop in the SOOC (could use a little more, but it's not washed out).

So.Sweet. iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2011
    You should be calibrating your display to match the output WITH the soft proof on. See:http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/why_are_my_prints_too_dark.shtml
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2011
    Thanks for all the input and comments. I recalibrated with soft proof on I tweaked and tweaked and think I am sticking with SOOC as it is the best looking. In terms of the square crop, I actually ended up with a portrait crop based on where I am using it, a Free Loot Day gift for the wife.... no one tell her, okay?
    -=Bradford

• Options
    edited December 15, 2011
    Now comes the hardest part, waiting for delivery!
    -=Bradford

• Options
    edited December 21, 2011
    Got delivery of the Blurb book and the color was good. Some pics I was right on and got good correction on others I was a little off. Including this one. The sharpness is there in that one can see the individual hairs coming out, however Chloe's shading of hair is not there, it is all black with no depth. However it was still successful cause it made the L&T wife smile.
    -=Bradford