advice...used 400 2.8L (awesome) lens

AJMAJM Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
edited December 17, 2011 in House of Canon
I found this lens.....It scares me, but, darn, it could be a real deal. Thoughts? $1000. To quote the ad, "Canon 400mm 2.8 L Lens for Canon EOS mount. This lens is being sold as is, it does not work. The lense neither manually or autofocuses, the focus is frozen at just over 100ft. Visible signs of wear on the outide, glass is in good condition aside from some dust. Built in tripod mount and rear filter drawer. Also comes with Hood, and carrying case."

Comments

• PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2011
    I'd take the chance. Even if you spend $1000 to fix it, and that's really unlikely, you come out ahead. Perhaps call a repair center first, describe the symptoms and make sure they don't say "Oh, that can't be fixed."
  • onesickpuppyonesickpuppy Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2011
    Well...I'd rethink it abit.....

if its one of the first versions...non IS....depending whats wrong with the focus...parts may not be available
    Canon won't touch it due to age....so there are only a few shops around that can...and you'd have to pay a
    "check" fee...plus shipping to find out....then shipping back if they can't fix...and be out maybe 1700 or more for
    hoping for "steal"...........
  • onesickpuppyonesickpuppy Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2011
    second thought....

if you found out that it couldn't be fixed....parting it out might get back most of your money

hood...if not cracked and such....could fetch up to $500
    case...if in great shape might go for 2-400
    other parts....might be able to sell to one of the "shops" for spare parts....

JUST depends on what model it is
  • AJMAJM Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited December 12, 2011
    More Info
    It is USM only (no IS). Mfg in 1994. Think I'll walk. Any of you want a piece of this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/250948640725?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
  • lkwan1978lkwan1978 Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited December 13, 2011
    dang bro, this is a huge risk...

with very little return. even if they could fix it the condition of the body is terrible...

all of the scuff and dings all over it.

i don't think they are telling the truth about having it sent off to see what is wrong with it.

i think they know exactly what is wrong with it but just don't want to disclose the problem!
  • novicesnappernovicesnapper Registered Users Posts: 445 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2011
    AJM wrote: »
    It is USM only (no IS). Mfg in 1994. Think I'll walk. Any of you want a piece of this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/250948640725?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Haha, someone here rolling the dice? Two bids.
  • AJMAJM Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited December 17, 2011
    I did check around with a couple of repair depots. They ALL responded with the fact that parts for this make/model are limited, not cheap, and that the repair could be as inexpensive as a couple hundred to over a thousand dollars----a crap shoot for a lens that is not IS. I think I'm dreaming of the 70-300 L 2.8 lens....gotta do my homework on it now.