Options

Where do you get your inspiration from?

sphyngesphynge Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 172
edited December 29, 2011 in Weddings
I'm always looking for inspiration for light, posing, expression, composition. My primary sources are:
- paintings, especially the 19th century / turn of the 20th
- music videos
- magazines, especially fashion magazines

Where do you draw your inspiration from?

Comments

• Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2011
    Samm Blake and Dan O'Day (both Aussies). I LOVE their work. I am a member of Fearless Photographers and I like to look through their competition picks for some creative and interesting images.

I do spend some time with Vogue every couple of months and flag the images/ads that I like and try to figure out what I like about them and how they were set up. I've stopped picking up wedding magazines altogether... they were great when I was getting started, but at this point I don't feel that there is enough work really pushing the edge of creativity in them for real "inspiration" for me.

Great topic! Can't wait to see what everyone else says!
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2011
    Travel books. Seriously.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2011
    I check out a looot of other wedding photographers work and have occasionally a peek at wedding magazines ("studying" what they print and like has been very helpful to me). I also "like" other photographers FB pages, so I can keep my mind fresh. Not trying to copy their poses but it somehow keeps my mind fresh. :D
  • Options
    tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2011
    Movies and the photography section of the LA Times.
  • Options
    Jeff_MiloJeff_Milo Registered Users Posts: 327 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2011
    While I always look at a lot of other wedding photographers work for ideas, I truly draw my inspriation from my clients. I limit the number of weddings I shoot a year which really alows me to get to know my clients and figure them out then work the posing and mood of the pictures around their personalities.
    Jeff Milo
    MILOStudios

www.milophotostudios.com
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2011
    One "wedding-y" photograph that I've always admired is Annie Leibovitz' image of Nicole Kidman (?) on a theater stage. GORGEOUS shot, it's just so dang perfectly done.

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2011
    uh.. I guess it is wrong of me, but I get it from our local guys - Heather, Matt, Angie and so on..
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2011
    Foques wrote: »
    uh.. I guess it is wrong of me, but I get it from our local guys - Heather, Matt, Angie and so on..
    So wrong! :nah

Hundreds if not thousands of great inspired ideas or breakthroughs that have changed our world were birthed on a toilet seat. There's no law to where good inspiration can come from :)
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2011
    So wrong! :nah

Hundreds if not thousands of great inspired ideas or breakthroughs that have changed our world were birthed on a toilet seat. There's no law to where good inspiration can come from :)

Now I feel like a toilet. Laughing.gif! :P

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum