Options

DSS 91 - Battle on the Ice Planet

cbbrcbbr Registered Users Posts: 755 Major grins
edited December 13, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
So I have been trapped inside sick and live in La. where the only ice is used for drinks. So the kids built a Lego set, I set up a light tent and here are their favorite versions of final product (yes, we went through every TA filter :D) - C&C please -

1)

i-sMN94Qf-XL.jpg

2)

i-t6mX4j6-XL.jpg

3)

i-FNdT7Sw-XL.jpg
Chad - www.brberrys.com
If I post it, please tell me how to make it better. My fragile ego can take it.

Comments

• Options
    tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2011
    Creative use of sick time! It says snow to me... and that's because I know the theme title. That said, I like the textures in #3.

Nit- it visually bugs me that the pointy things hanging down next to the upside-down guy arent' symmetrical. The one on the right needs to be flipped.
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.
  • Options
    JennJenn Registered Users Posts: 1,009 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2011
    cbbr wrote: »
    So I have been trapped inside sick and live in La. where the only ice is used for drinks. So the kids built a Lego set, I set up a light tent and here are their favorite versions of final product (yes, we went through every TA filter :D) - C&C please -

I like it, but I think it needs some real ice in the photo some how. Maybe freeze the figures in water and take shots of it as it's melting a bit? Just an idea. :)
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    Panasonic Lumix 10x DMC-TZ3 :photo
    Leica Mega O.I.S./28mm WIDE :smile6
  • Options
    edited December 12, 2011
    Creative use of sick time! It says snow to me... and that's because I know the theme title. That said, I like the textures in #3.

Nit- it visually bugs me that the pointy things hanging down next to the upside-down guy arent' symmetrical. The one on the right needs to be flipped.

Thanks! Now that is bugging me too.eek7.gifD I wonder if my builders got that right?
    Jenn wrote: »
    I like it, but I think it needs some real ice in the photo some how. Maybe freeze the figures in water and take shots of it as it's melting a bit? Just an idea. :)

Thanks! That would have definitely been better. Where were you yesterday?thumb.gif

I was honestly short on ideas, long on time and surrounded with kids, so this was a first attempt at this type of shot. I have much to learn.
    Chad - www.brberrys.com
  • Options
    SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2011
    #2 it is, but yeah, those things need flipped. Otherwise, it's a cool shot!
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2011
    Cool set-up! The different versions create very different responses for me. With each increase in detail, it feels less icy and drier. I'll be curious to see which one you enter.
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2011
    SeascapeS wrote: »
    #2 it is, but yeah, those things need flipped. Otherwise, it's a cool shot!

Thanks! I didn't have a chance to re-shoot and don't use PSE enough to flip small parts, so I was stuck. The original shoot was set up with the following (hence no re-shoot) -

SB-900 on camera @ 1/16th
    2 SB-26's @ 1/32 in front shooting high/low & low/high
    WL-1600 @1/4 shooting through an umbrella at the top of the light tent.
    Light tent with black velvet in back 7 a smoke machine.
    billseye wrote: »
    Cool set-up! The different versions create very different responses for me. With each increase in detail, it feels less icy and drier. I'll be curious to see which one you enter.

Thanks! The kids chose #3, and they were my assistants, so I went with that version. deal.gif
    Chad - www.brberrys.com