Options

Sharpening

TheCheeseheadTheCheesehead Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
edited December 21, 2011 in Digital Darkroom
Those of you that use LR3 and CS5, do you just sharpen in LR3, or CS5, or both? Thanks

Comments

• Options
    basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2011
    Those of you that use LR3 and CS5, do you just sharpen in LR3, or CS5, or both? Thanks
    both
    LR normally and , sometime when i find it necessary CS5 smart sharp on the final exported image
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2011
    Lr does sharpening by default unless you tell it not to. The Lr sharpening tools allow a lot of control (use the alt key) and the result is very good. However, if you are going into Ps and doing significant further editing, it is best to leave the Lr sharpening at default and put further sharpening adjustments towards the end of your Ps workflow. In Ps I mainly use USM, but I apply it conservatively multiple times, first for micro contrast and then for edges. I also use Nik and onOne sharpening tools for certain kinds of sharpening, including preprint.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    TheCheeseheadTheCheesehead Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2011
    Thanks! I always thought that you only sharpen once, but tried it in PS after LR and it looked good.
  • Options
    paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2011
    Lr does sharpening by default unless you tell it not to.

You can change the LR default to no sharpening so that you don't have to tell it not to sharpen on each image.

LR's sharpening is quite good, and its visual display of masking (the alt-key reference above) is very handy. However, PS provides more options for sharpening (high pass, smart sharpen, unsharp mask) which you can compare on a given image.

One very nice feature of LR is that it has output sharpening built into the print module. I find it works quite well, and it avoids having to do that step manually. I almost always print from LR even if I edit in PS, so I use LR for that even if I do "capture/creative" sharpening in PS.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2011
    I do all sharpening in Photoshop and always with USM...and always at the very end of work flow as it can cause artifacts when uprezing final image ...ok it doesn't cause artifacts... uprezing just makes them a lot more visible.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website