Options

Need suggestions/advice PLEASE

mmiller6300mmiller6300 Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
edited December 27, 2011 in Mind Your Own Business
Hello
I have a bit of a problem and would like to ask for some advice or suggestions about how some of the other photographers here would handle this. I am putting together a calendar for a local historic site, and have taken numerous photos to be included. Due to state budget cuts, the calendar is to be used as a fund raiser, and I have done all of my work at no charge so the site will be able to keep more of the profits from the sale of the calendar. The only form of "payment" that I am asking for is to be given credit for the photos and having my name listed on the final product.
Since the calendar will have the official logo of the site on the cover, it must be approved by several of the officers, directors and marketing people.
Here is where the problem comes in, and where I would like to ask an opinion.
The test print has been given to them, and when I was contacted today, I was told that there are several changes to be made. There are a few of my photos that they would like to take out, and have replaced with some photos from another photographer that works at the site. The photos were sent to me this evening and I feel that they are in rather poor quality. Since my name is listed on the calendar as the photographer, I do not want to have people thinking that this was an example of my work.
I have spent a considerable amount of my time on this and have done so at no cost to the site. I am rather upset right now and am considering pulling the project. I can understand that they might want a few changes here or there, but to have my work pulled and someone else's substandard work substituted really bothers me.
Curious what some of the other photographers here would do in this situation.
Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2011
    hmmm..if you've done all the work then my 1st instinct would be "take or leave it".My 2nd instinct..if you have the time..is to take your own photos of the ones you have "missed"
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited December 13, 2011
    remind them of the terms of the agreement and that did not include editing in photos by other photographers
  • Options
    kleoninkleonin Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited December 14, 2011
    Explain to your clients that you plan to monetize your effort via calendar sales, and that you cannot very well sell a calendar with your name on it if some of the photos belong to other photographers -- you would be in violation of their copyright unless you obtain some release from them. If they refuse to budge, then I'd say pull the plug -- precisely because you'd be violating other photographers' copyright.
  • Options
    chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 772 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2011
    Have your credits moved to the images that are yours. This way your name appears several times and stays visible for months instead of never getting looked at. Users of the calendar will decide which photog they want to call and now they have a choice for which you are the best. All in all it seems you now have a much better deal.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2011
    I can understand your disappointment and concern. It seems the people in charge of the historical site view you as an employee, rather than a supporter and patron.

Politely explain that you are donating your images, your design and your effort at no cost the the historical site. In return for this you need (your designing it, put your name etc on the calendar) to receive credit and have your name (business name) on the calendar.

Explain that the calendar is your creation and not a amalgamation of your and other photographer's images. I wouldn't go into your opinion of the other photographers images. If you go down that path it leaves the door open for them to come back later with some high quality images. The real issue here is it's your work and you can't / won't include other photographers images.

As politely as possible explain this is a package deal. Take it or leave it. :D

Sam
  • Options
    jwwjww Registered Users Posts: 449 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2011
    Sam wrote: »
    I can understand your disappointment and concern. It seems the people in charge of the historical site view you as an employee, rather than a supporter and patron.

Politely explain that you are donating your images, your design and your effort at no cost the the historical site. In return for this you need (your designing it, put your name etc on the calendar) to receive credit and have your name (business name) on the calendar.

Explain that the calendar is your creation and not a amalgamation of your and other photographer's images. I wouldn't go into your opinion of the other photographers images. If you go down that path it leaves the door open for them to come back later with some high quality images. The real issue here is it's your work and you can't / won't include other photographers images.

As politely as possible explain this is a package deal. Take it or leave it. :D

Sam

15524779-Ti.gif

I have to agree with Sam. Keep it civil and nicely remind them the project was a donation of your time and thus is presented to them "as is" for their fundraiser.

Things usually go wacky whenever a committee is involved. It might simply be they saw it as "their project" rather than yours. If they persist to include other photos and personally would be curious to know why, then I would pull it off the table completely and chuck a $5 in the coffers instead. lol
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2011
    Hello
    I have a bit of a problem and would like to ask for some advice or suggestions about how some of the other photographers here would handle this. I am putting together a calendar for a local historic site, and have taken numerous photos to be included. Due to state budget cuts, the calendar is to be used as a fund raiser, and I have done all of my work at no charge so the site will be able to keep more of the profits from the sale of the calendar. The only form of "payment" that I am asking for is to be given credit for the photos and having my name listed on the final product.
    Since the calendar will have the official logo of the site on the cover, it must be approved by several of the officers, directors and marketing people.
    Here is where the problem comes in, and where I would like to ask an opinion.
    The test print has been given to them, and when I was contacted today, I was told that there are several changes to be made. There are a few of my photos that they would like to take out, and have replaced with some photos from another photographer that works at the site. The photos were sent to me this evening and I feel that they are in rather poor quality. Since my name is listed on the calendar as the photographer, I do not want to have people thinking that this was an example of my work.
    I have spent a considerable amount of my time on this and have done so at no cost to the site. I am rather upset right now and am considering pulling the project. I can understand that they might want a few changes here or there, but to have my work pulled and someone else's substandard work substituted really bothers me.
    Curious what some of the other photographers here would do in this situation.
    Thanks.

Who originally contacted who on this? ie; did they ask you to put this together...explain the situation a bit more completely, please.
    tom wise
  • Options
    chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 772 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2011
    I think the situation is clear. Some guy who is important to the committee and is an amateur photog wants to get into the picture. This is more to do with politics than legality. Unless his pics are truly awful, the end result of your taking a legal position will likely be that you are designed-out.

My view is that committee people tend to have more money and local contacts than most and so I would be eager to make a good impression. Sooner or later they and their friends need a good photographer and that should be me, or in this case you. So my advice is to get over yourself and cut a political deal - even when you only have one photo in the calendar it should speak for itself.

I wonder what happened? The calendar must have been printed by now.