Mountain Train

Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
edited December 17, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
I posted this in Journeys, but with totally different processing. It got no remarks there, so maybe it's horrible, but I honestly think it's at least alright. If you think it's cool, please tell me why, if you think it's just mediocre, any suggestions?

Thanks!

Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_988431.jpg

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited December 14, 2011
    The reflection is cool. It's not often that you can see something reflecting on itself. thumb.gif
  • Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2011
    Richard wrote: »
    The reflection is cool. It's not often that you can see something reflecting on itself. thumb.gif

Thanks Richard, I tried to make this the focal point...first by dodging and burning, which took away some of the mood of the shot, and then I tried Viveza out and that let me achieve something more interesting. This probably all sounds very amateur, as I basically just fool around in Photoshop until I achieve what I like, with little efficiency. Maybe someday I can learn to use it with a bit of sense.
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2011
    Most Excellent! thumb.gif Despite your trial and error editing, if you had not gotten the well compose image in the first place, seeing what you did, you'd have nada! :D

thumb.gif
    Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2011
    There is so much to like in this photo thumb.gif

I even like that you caught the motion on the ground.
  • JRomieJRomie Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited December 14, 2011
    I like it. From the foreground to the background, I like the reflection in the windows......the perspective, with length of the train clearly evident......and the look into the future, with the bridge in the background. Nice exposure and depth too. Least favorite for me is the motion, but that's not always easy to avoid (and others clearly like it anyway...). Very nice shot.
  • CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2011
    Ditto all of the above. I think it's a very good image.
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2011
    Looks like you got caught in the middle on the comp. Crop 1/3 off the bottom darken the sky add some tonal contrast to bring out some cloud detail....or.....crop 1/3 off the top to the top of the ridge on the left above the train...that brings your eye right into the train and the reflections which is your subject (that is the option I would take if it were mine).
    Lots of potential, after the crop give it a levels and contrast adjustment, slight saturation boost and should look great.
  • CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2011
    I understand what zoomer is saying, but I wouldn't change the crop at all. It's exactly as it should be.

PS: Ignore the absence of responses to a post. I don't know how many times I've posted an image on a forum that sank without comment, only to have the same image draw raves on another forum. That's one reason to frequent more than one forum and to take all responses, or the absence thereof, with a grain of salt.
  • Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2011
    Haha, thank you everyone! I kind of just left this image here hoping to garner a bit of commentary, and look at it go!

I appreciate the compliments everyone, most assuredly!

Zoomer, I'd really like to try your suggestion when I get home. I like my shot as it is, but as someone who is an editing amateur, I'd like to get my hands dirty more and getting recommendations like yours help me out. Thanks!