sp-9-2-XL.jpg

sp-4-2-XL.jpg
Liz A.
_________

Comments

• Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2011
    AHHH....now these are classic " Liz " shots. Got your high-contrast, trademark approach evident in full force. I like all three but I find that third one to be captivating. There's enough interest and intensity in that one to make Stephen King jump up and run around.

Well done,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2011
    If the shadows weren't long and the cars not bling, the first wouldn't have worked. And the geometry. Second I get and want to love, but not sure whether I like it for some technical and framing issues. Third feels like a spontaneous dance something. Like it but you're going to hate this; it needs more contrast from the vanishing point to the young man in the left corner.
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2011
    I think that third shot is perfect the way it is. It wouldn't have near the strange aurora to it if it weren't for that misty, translucent quality that prevails. Any more contrast and that scene would be adversely affected. Obviously, that's pure personal opinion.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2011
    1 is cool, comp is not 100% but good.
    2 is a cool shot, take just a little off the right maybe.
    3 is money!
    Really nice images as presented, just nitpicking.
  • Options
    M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2011
    I could see #2 or #3 in a coffee table book titled "Contrasting life in NYC" by some gal named Liz.....:D
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2011
    Yep 2 & 3 I can hear the tunes, and we know how hard that is !!
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,928 moderator
    edited December 15, 2011
    I like these, Liz, but I'll make a couple of suggestions. On my monitor, it looks like there are some halos in #1. Might be the processing, dunno. But the energy and motion are excellent and I like the composition. #2 is expressive but for my taste, there's too much dead space at the right--I'd crop it square. I love #3. It's just a marvelous scene, but I agree with Jenn regarding the lens flare in the middle. I suspect that's not going to be easy to fix in post, but I'll give it a try and send you the results.
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2011
    AHHH....now these are classic " Liz " shots. Got your high-contrast, trademark approach evident in full force. I like all three but I find that third one to be captivating. There's enough interest and intensity in that one to make Stephen King jump up and run around.

Well done,

Tom

I agree with Tom! thumb.gif
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    NmahoochNmahooch Registered Users Posts: 220 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2011
    nice feel to the shots. great work.
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2011
    Well done Liz, I like #3, shooting into the sun is always a challenge
    Rags
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2011
    I'll have to say that #2 does it for me-- I love the joyful exuberance of those two men ringing that kettle bell.
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2011
    Thank you all for the feedback.

i have to say it felt really good to shoot street and process in high contrast again:) It seemed to fit this set.

Richard reworked image #3 and I have asked him to post his version for comparison.
    I am really happy with how my set came out but I want to have a near side by side comparison and see the difference on this thread, for #3.

I know #2 could use a crop, but I don't really like square format too much, and I don't want to crop her glasses off (I don't know why, it just feels right to me). Square works often I know, I did try and recropping square but I did not like it.

Thank you all:)
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    NyarthlopicNyarthlopic Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2011
    Of the three, I like #2 the best. It's the looks on their faces that draw me in. They seem to be having the most fun. The first one....my initial reaction...OW! Is the neck meant to bend that far? Laughing.gif And #3 looks like it had to be fun to watch. You captured all three really well. #2 is my fav.
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2011
    Wonderful set of three shots on the same theme!

I would explore cropping some of the left edge on #1 (perhaps changing the aspect ratio so you do not lose any vertical aspect) to really zing in on the two dynamic dancers.

#2 -- love them dancing. Good shot -- great would have gotten the second person's face and a little less of the lady on the right half.

Love #3. Flare does not bother me here -- gives a sense of depth.

I also like that you are exploring different shooting angles, specifically low and closer on these.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,928 moderator
    edited December 16, 2011
    Richard reworked image #3 and I have asked him to post his version for comparison.
    I am really happy with how my set came out but I want to have a near side by side comparison and see the difference on this thread, for #3.
    OK, Liz. I'll also repost the original to make it easier.

Original:
    sp-4-2-XL.jpg

Tweaked:
    i-pLKDWHZ-XL.jpg

Not sure there's enough difference to matter here, but I think more could be done if you start from the raw capture rather than a finished, converted jpg.
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2011
    Hi Richard,
    I looked at these on my phone yesterday but couldn not tell the difference. I had to get home in order to see the difference, which on my computer now is pretty subtle I think.

What stood out to me was the second dancers face is much darker which I don't know it needed to be. I do think you would have benefited from the original on this. The one you worked on I had already thrown everything at and it was quite a jumble.

Also I do notice an increase in contrast by the buildings on the right hand side which I think is what Jenn had also suggested.

Thank you Richard for posting your version. I should have sent you the original to start with! Sorry about that.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    RSLRSL Registered Users Posts: 839 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2011
    I like 'em all, Liz, but in my NSHO #2 is the best of the lot. Though I always hate to suggest cropping, I think I'd turn #2 into a vertical by chopping away about a third of the right side and leaving only the face with the glasses looking at the bell ringers. Those two guys dancing gaily (in the original meaning of that word) in the street with their bells is a marvelous comment on the spirit of the season.
  • Options
    TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2011
    In looking for a difference between Liz's version and
    Richard's version (which amounts to something between
    an eyelash and a whisker) I noticed the woman just
    underneath the bright light spot.

It looks like some sort of heavenly light shining on
    a nun. I suspect, though, that it isn't a wimple
    she's wearing.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2011
    #3 should be in a coffee table book. Just great.
  • Options
    SamoBikerSamoBiker Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited December 22, 2011
    I like #2. The situation feels spontaneous and true. The shadow of the person to the right makes it feel a little off balance though. I would have panned left a little more or taken a tighter crop.