Options

In-camera noise reduction and shooting RAW

jheftijhefti Registered Users Posts: 734 Major grins
edited December 17, 2011 in Finishing School
OK, so I've just had a minor revelation thanks to Matt Saville about camera settings and how they carry over to PP--they don't aside from the initial thumbnail rendering.

That got me thinking about the in-camera noise reduction setting, which gives the option to disable it. My question is whether or not I should disable it if I am shooting RAW and de-noising in PP. Or does it make a difference? (I shoot with Canon bodies.)

Comments

• Options
    PeanoPeano Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2011
    jhefti wrote: »
    My question is whether or not I should disable it if I am shooting RAW and de-noising in PP. Or does it make a difference?

No, it makes no difference in the raw data that is captured. It might travel as metadata that some raw converters could read as they read other camera settings -- WB, sharpening, saturation, etc.
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2011
    Peano wrote: »
    No, it makes no difference in the raw data that is captured. It might travel as metadata that some raw converters could read as they read other camera settings -- WB, sharpening, saturation, etc.

That's what I thought. My only pause for concern is that I know camera manufacturers claim that a more powerful processor (e.g. the dual Digic V processors that the 1Dx is going to have) helps reduce noise, suggesting that the camera has some role in noise reduction. It never made much sense to me--at least for RAW images--to have the camera reduce noise, as this is much more easily and effectively taken care of in PP. Perhaps these claims are directed to JPEG shooters, who often do use noise reduction in camera.
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2011
    My only pause for concern is that I know camera manufacturers claim that a more powerful processor ... helps reduce noise, suggesting that the camera has some role in noise reduction.

If the benefit of reduced noise comes from "a more powerful processor," you'll get that benefit regardless of whether you shoot jpeg or raw.

The camera surely can play a role in noise reduction. Some Nikons, for instance, fare worse than Canons for noise at high ISO settings.
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2011
    If the benefit of reduced noise comes from "a more powerful processor," you'll get that benefit regardless of whether you shoot jpeg or raw.

The camera surely can play a role in noise reduction. Some Nikons, for instance, fare worse than Canons for noise at high ISO settings.

I guess my main question is whether or not enabling/disabling high ISO noise reduction on the camera has any effect on this process.

And as far as in-camera noise reduction goes, it seems to me that us RAW shooters can at best break even with this, and likely lose, as this is a form of post-processing even though it is done in the camera. It could just as easily be done on a computer during the PP, and certainly with more flexibility. Most computers have faster processors--albeit not dedicated to these specific algorithms--and in any case speed is not really the issue, clean images are.
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2011
    I guess my main question is whether or not enabling/disabling high ISO noise reduction on the camera has any effect on this process.

Only if your raw converter can read that particular metadata. Otherwise, no. Camera settings don't affect what raw data gets captured by the sensor.
  • Options
    stormyboystormyboy Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited December 17, 2011
    Only if your raw converter can read that particular metadata. Otherwise, no. Camera settings don't affect what raw data gets captured by the sensor.

I thought it was established that Active D-Lighting in Nikon settings could affect raw data? At least I've read that in numerous places.

Tom
  • Options
    basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2011
    stormyboy wrote: »
    I thought it was established that Active D-Lighting in Nikon settings could affect raw data? At least I've read that in numerous places.

Tom
    nothing effects RAW data
    RAW means raw , unchanged , in any way
    what the sensor saw is what you get
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2011
    stormyboy wrote: »

It isn't clear to me exactly how Active D works, and Nikon's own explanation leaves it unclear (to me). Consider this diagram from Nikon:

actived.gif

Are the three steps in the box (exposure, processing active d-lighting) all part of the raw data? I don't know. Nikon says: "Unlike conventional D-Lighting, which makes adjustments after the image is converted to JPEG, Active D-Lighting allows exposure and image processing optimization prior to JPEG conversion,..." (emphasis added).

Does this "prior to jpeg conversion" mean that the raw data is affected by Active D? Again, I don't know.

I don't shoot Nikon, but if I did, I would turn Active D off.
  • Options
    Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2011
    I thought a raw file had regular rgb pixels in it, not the values of rggb sensors. I'm not sure about this, but the conversion from rggb to rgb would be some processing. I also thought the was some curve applied to the values of the rggb sensors too when they were converted to raw rgb pixels, again I'm not sure about this either.

As far as noise reduction in raw images that has been some discussion of this over on dpreview

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1039&message=33718870

that claims that Nikon does apply some noise reduction even to the raw image.

Also some cameras let you make an image of a long duration dark frame and apply that to low light pictures that are taken. I think that this is applied to the raw image as a kind of noise reduction.

basflt wrote: »
    nothing effects RAW data
  • Options
    basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2011
    also not true
    Nikon apply NR when off (to the JPG) , IF the ISO is higher then Hi 0.3
    how often you use that setting ?

no , nothing is done to the RAW
    as @ Peano said : NEF and CR2 files contain additional data about the shot , but the RAW-image itself remains pure
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,832 moderator
    edited December 17, 2011
    basflt wrote: »
    nothing effects RAW data

That used to be the case, but, starting with the Nikon D300 and D3 and the Canon 5D MKII, that no longer appears to be true. There is a growing body of evidence which suggests that both Nikon and Canon are using "some" image processor noise reduction (NR) "prior" to saving the RAW files. Further, the user has no opportunity to moderate this affectation.

Still, it is correct to say that the RAW files are the closest the user can get to the digital data readout from the imager chip.

For more information about the Nikon NR and black clipping (the link is to Nikon D300 research, but applies to modern Nikon dSLRs in general):

http://theory.uchicago.edu/~ejm/pix/20d/posts/tests/D300_40D_tests/

Like I said before, Canon started doing something similar starting with the 5D MKII. Pentax and Sony are also employing something similar to improve SNR and DR figures. Nikon was simply the first to adopt the technology.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2011
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    That used to be the case, but, starting with the Nikon D300 and D3 and the Canon 5D MKII, that no longer appears to be true. There is a growing body of evidence which suggests that both Nikon and Canon are using "some" image processor noise reduction (NR) "prior" to saving the RAW files. Further, the user has no opportunity to moderate this affectation.

Still, it is correct to say that the RAW files are the closest the user can get to the digital data readout from the imager chip.

Like I said before, Canon started doing something similar starting with the 5D MKII. Pentax and Sony are also employing something similar to improve SNR and DR figures. Nikon was simply the first to adopt the technology.

NR can occur in many ways. The one we are most familiar with is looking at the whole image, then doing some sort of averaging procedure and statistical guessing to reduce noise. However, in the general field of noise reduction there are also hardware-based approaches, which need to be done at the time the signal is generated and/or captured. I'm not sure what these might be specifically for cameras, but basically they all use some sort of real time information that the hardware provides to increase the signal-to-noise ratio (SNR); information that is usually not stored (and many times cannot be stored) in a data file. Perhaps that is what's going on here...