Reflections

JRomieJRomie Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
edited December 19, 2011 in Landscapes
This has become a personal favorite of mine, but it's a bit unusual and I'm curious how it appeals to "the masses." It's quite busy. When I first viewed it, it seemed a mess to me; a thicket of branches and trees in all directions. But it grew on me enough to play with it a bit in processing, and I like the result. It's one, though, that you have to stare at awhile and concentrate on the details -- I think that's part of what appeals to me about it. Anyway, I'd appreciate your feedback on it.
20111113-00212019-X2.jpg

Comments

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited December 17, 2011
    You're right, John. There's a lot to see in this photograph and it certainly fills the frame nicely. I like it. thumb.gif
  • PhotoGUY123PhotoGUY123 Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited December 17, 2011
    I was wondering what appealed to you most about the image? I think it may look stronger as a black and white image, as there isn't an abundance of color. I do see a variety of contrast levels in the trees, waters, and in the leaves. Just my opinion and thought as I viewed the image.
  • IslandcrowIslandcrow Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2011
    I'm afraid like you said it is a bit busy. Also, the lighting is far from optimal. Although I can certainly see this as being a very interesting scene while you're there, the photograph itself doesn't really do anything for me.
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2011
    I happen to like this shot a lot. I think that feeling is due, in large part, to a strong familiarity with this kind of scene....having been around such surroundings for much of my life. I can readily relate to the image, therefore I'm very comfortable with it and I think you've done a good job in your presentation.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2011
    John- I think this image needs a bit more context in order to view it. You have provided some but for me the image lacks not just a focal point but a subject entirely. The vertical, horizontal, and diagonal lines prevent your eyes from moving fluidly through the image- instead you get locked into little boxes.

PhotoGuy has a good suggestion with seeing how this looks as a b&w or you can go the other route and process this a little heavy to draw extra attention to the parts of this scene which you like. Personally I think the strongest area is a triangle from center image (yellow leaves) to green tree in bottom left and yellow and orange leaves bottom right of center. I can also see you pushing this image to an almost abstract style shot to help keep the casual viewer from saying too busy or snapshot.
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • JRomieJRomie Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited December 19, 2011
    Thanks much for your comments! I'll respond to a few of them. I think Aaron really helped me understand why it is that, as much as I like this shot, I have questioned whether others will like it as I do.....it lacks a definitive subject - some point in the photo that draws your attention. I think I agree with that. But perhaps that's part of why I like it it. The subject is a swamp in (well, near) the Adirondacks - it's the entire scene, pretty much a realistic interpretation of what I saw (though perhaps just a bit more saturated). It is also the reflections (hence the title) - everywhere you look there's one of them - another reason I like it; you really have to study it. But, nonetheless, I do see Aaron's point.

As for consideration for b&w conversion, I gave it a quick go and, for me anyway, it didn't cut it. The tonal variations were not distinct enough to fix the issues that were noted by Aaron and PhotoGUY and, while I admittedly spent very little time processing in b&w, the color version is clearly my preference.

What can I say? I'm probably biased, but it will remain in my "Personal Favorites" gallery unchanged. Your comments were enlightening though, which is what I was hoping for.