Options

People @ work Textile factory

D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
edited January 2, 2012 in People
I had the opportunity for a shoot in a working Textile factory, the intend was to make a series of pictures about the process and people that produce linen.

I used only environmental light, so no flash. This with the intend to capture the atmosphere.
The ISO values range between 2500 and 5000. So noise is present.

I have all shots in B&W and Color. Below just a few shots (mainly people as thus forum is about people)

If you want to see the whole series: http://flashsplash.smugmug.com/Journalism/UTEX. You will need a password: samsung

i-5qXwB29-XL.jpg

i-8BFFZKG-XL.jpg

i-X6KdX9S-XL.jpg

i-6vqsrmB-XL.jpg

i-h2LhGzS-XL.jpg

i-NMhWmsp-XL.jpg
A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited December 17, 2011
    Very nice environmental shots. You did a great job with what must have been difficult lighting. My favorite is the last one, but they're all good. thumb.gif
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2011
    You never cease to amaze!
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited December 17, 2011
    Love 'em. I had a summer job once working in a textile mill so this brings back memories. I especially like the the web of threads in #2, and the perspective in #3.
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2011
    Richard wrote: »
    Very nice environmental shots. You did a great job with what must have been difficult lighting. My favorite is the last one, but they're all good. thumb.gif

Thanks, the lighting was not easy (TL lights mainly with spotbeams). The best one can do is leave the WB on Auto . Unless I would use the flash (didn't in this case), then I always place a filter on the flash itself.
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2011
    You never cease to amaze!

TXS Bryce, I keep on trying.
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2011
    kdog wrote: »
    Love 'em. I had a summer job once working in a textile mill so this brings back memories. I especially like the the web of threads in #2, and the perspective in #3.

TXS for viewing and commenting, Yep it is a different kind of work.
  • Options
    Brock62Brock62 Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited December 18, 2011
    Great shots Shooter , I love the B&W
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2011
    These are great DS. Really like #2 and the last one. B&W conversion is really nice. Great photojournalistic feel to these.

One thing... the link to the gallery is not working. Thought I'd let you know.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2011
    These are great DS. Really like #2 and the last one. B&W conversion is really nice. Great photojournalistic feel to these.

One thing... the link to the gallery is not working. Thought I'd let you know.

Thanks, the link is also fixed.... sorry
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2011
    Just great, congrats.
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2011
    Hackbone wrote: »
    Just great, congrats.

Thanks
  • Options
    reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2011
    I love these....they have a genuine feel to them because they are indeed real moments captured of people doing what they do....
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • Options
    Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2011
    #6 by far for me. Their all great, but the look on that man's face is emotive enough to give the viewer a reason to continue looking.

Thumbs up.
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2011
  • Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2011
    Great shots. Here in the US we don't have textile factories any more...at least not in North Carolina...WalMart ran them out of business...made them move their operations overseas in order to compete with all the other Chinese linen products. Very interesting images...just wondering what the guy in 4 is doing...he sure looks intense.

Thanks for sharing.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Options
    macgartmacgart Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited January 2, 2012
    #2 #3 are my favorites. they are all well done but those two really grab me. thanks for the inspiration.
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2012
    Ed911 wrote: »
    Great shots. Here in the US we don't have textile factories any more...at least not in North Carolina...WalMart ran them out of business...made them move their operations overseas in order to compete with all the other Chinese linen products. Very interesting images...just wondering what the guy in 4 is doing...he sure looks intense.

Thanks for sharing.

The same thing in Europe, only a handful textile factories are surviving with the help of the government although not official. Its just a matter of time before they move to china etc..... The only thing that keeps this one running is the production of special linen such as Kevlar.

The guy is responsible for sticking 5000 to 10000 threads in sequence on a reel . It is computer driven but sometimes he needs to correct it.

TXS for viewing
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2012
    macgart wrote: »
    #2 #3 are my favorites. they are all well done but those two really grab me. thanks for the inspiration.

Thanks everybody for watching. Did you all notice how low safety is in the mill ?