Options

There are some things we shoot...

bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
edited December 18, 2011 in Street and Documentary
...because we have to. The challenge is how to make them vaguely interesting. In this case, the drudgery was to shoot about 15 head shots of lab members, do a lab group shot, and get some shots from a lab meeting. For anyone who might be interested, here's the outcome.
bd@bdcolenphoto.com
"He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed

Comments

• Options
    RSLRSL Registered Users Posts: 839 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2011
    Good job, BD. I doubt I'd have been able to do as well considering how boring I always found that kind of work. You're describing the kind of thing that made me give up commercial photography very quickly. It was always the "have to" part that drove me nuts, especially weddings and similar events where the clients wanted cliches because that was what they understood.
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2011
    Professional detachment ... hard to do

I like high key, on the head shots the noses aren't there on my monitor (I've had issues with it on blacks - maybe white too?)

I like the jailbreak setting (I'm a sucker for shadow stripes)

You do whatchu gotta' do... :D
    Rags
  • Options
    Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2011
    I think all of these look solid B.D., but that should be expected from you! haha
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2011
    RSL wrote: »
    Good job, BD. I doubt I'd have been able to do as well considering how boring I always found that kind of work. You're describing the kind of thing that made me give up commercial photography very quickly. It was always the "have to" part that drove me nuts, especially weddings and similar events where the clients wanted cliches because that was what they understood.

I believe there are a couple ways to deal with weddings and still maintain one's sanity - the first is to recognize that they are tribal rites, and documenting those rites is as legitimate a form of documentary photography as any other. I am always fascinated to observe the various interactions and place my bets on the length of the marriage, the odds as to which spouse will murder which in-law. That said, there are then two ways to make the whole thing work. The first is to shoot the wedding your way; make it very clear to the bride and groom that you work a certain way, and they have to trust you to document their day. If they go for that, you're home free. If they don't, you either walk away from the job - which is how I deal with it - or you shoot what they want, but also shoot what you want. I decided long ago that as long as I have a day job, I wasn't going to do traditional, shlock, wedding photography. Life is far, far too short as long as one has an income and benefits. If one doesn't, well, I guess shooting bride and groom, arms interlocked, drinking champagne from lucite goblets beats living under a bridge. rolleyes1.gifrofl
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2011
    bdcolen wrote: »
    I believe there are a couple ways to deal with weddings and still maintain one's sanity - the first is to recognize that they are tribal rites, and documenting those rites is as legitimate a form of documentary photography as any other. I am always fascinated to observe the various interactions and place my bets on the length of the marriage, the odds as to which spouse will murder which in-law. That said, there are then two ways to make the whole thing work. The first is to shoot the wedding your way; make it very clear to the bride and groom that you work a certain way, and they have to trust you to document their day. If they go for that, you're home free. If they don't, you either walk away from the job - which is how I deal with it - or you shoot what they want, but also shoot what you want. I decided long ago that as long as I have a day job, I wasn't going to do traditional, shlock, wedding photography. Life is far, far too short as long as one has an income and benefits. If one doesn't, well, I guess shooting bride and groom, arms interlocked, drinking champagne from lucite goblets beats living under a bridge. rolleyes1.gifrofl
    Ha!... well said
    Rags
  • Options
    RSLRSL Registered Users Posts: 839 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2011
    That's a beautiful analysis, BD. Thanks. You hit the nail on the head, especially when you said that if they don't trust you, you walk away. That's exactly what I did in the sixties. they trusted me, but I walked away anyway, though I have to admit I enjoyed making the kinds of guesses you describe. Fortunately I was in a situation where I didn't have to live under a bridge. I've been away ever since and I have no intention of going back. But I have two friends who do -- or did -- weddings and school pictures most of their adult lives. I say "did" because for one of them the market got so bad he started looking for another line of work.

But I'm not sure doing school pictures is better than living under a bridge.