Options

#92 What's Wrong with This Photo?

billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
edited December 21, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
Okay - Here's my attempt. It's a cool illusion, but you can't really see it unless you flip the image 180 degrees. Feel free to download it and give it a try. I'm trying to figure out how to make the "flipping it over" part work during the viewing/voting. Any ideas?

untitled-013-L.jpg
Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug

Comments

• Options
    SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2011
    Yeah, do a side-by-side.
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    JennJenn Registered Users Posts: 1,009 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2011
    billseye wrote: »
    Okay - Here's my attempt. It's a cool illusion, but you can't really see it unless you flip the image 180 degrees. Feel free to download it and give it a try. I'm trying to figure out how to make the "flipping it over" part work during the viewing/voting. Any ideas?

No need to flip it... If you stare at it really hard for at least a minute or two you can see something is different. :D
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    Panasonic Lumix 10x DMC-TZ3 :photo
    Leica Mega O.I.S./28mm WIDE :smile6
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2011
    Here are two different versions showing the comparison. Both show second version of the main image that is an exact mirror rotated on the horizontal axis.

20111217DSS92Optical-L.jpg

20111217DSS92Optical-L.jpg
    Bill Banning

• Options
    TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2011
    I can't figure out what I'm supposed to see, but - that's OK - I like the original image for what it is.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2011
    TonyCooper wrote: »
    I can't figure out what I'm supposed to see, but - that's OK - I like the original image for what it is.

The two (or four) head shots in each photo are actually all the same image. One exposure. The background is a second exposure layered in post processing.

The illusion is the way your brain processes the picture on the right of the pair. The right side is actually the left figure rotated 180 degrees (BUT.. the the eye and lips have been left in their original orientation). You don't notice the weird eyes and lips until you turn the whole pair over (which is what I've done in the two new images).
    Bill Banning

• Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2011
    Good one! I caught on to the lips before the eyes. thumb.gif

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    jawsnapjawsnap Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited December 21, 2011
    Nice job with this. I've always liked this illusion - sometimes it can get really freaky.