The set are on the way so you can expect to see some macro shots next week :D
Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph

Comments

• Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2004
    looking forward to seeing what you come up with!
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2004
    cletus wrote:
    looking forward to seeing what you come up with!
    Adorama and UPS, what a combo! They send me a package standard ground and I get it the next day, three times in the last 30 days.
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    Adorama and UPS, what a combo! They send me a package standard ground and I get it the next day, three times in the last 30 days.

I love it when a company gets me my toys before I expect. I bought a new PowerBook 2 weeks ago. I upgraded from the free standard delivery to the $12 express (2-3 day) delivery. Once the laptop was assembled with all my extra goodies, I got it the next day!

I can't wait to see some pics.

Dave
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2004
    dkapp wrote:
    I love it when a company gets me my toys before I expect. I bought a new PowerBook 2 weeks ago. I upgraded from the free standard delivery to the $12 express (2-3 day) delivery. Once the laptop was assembled with all my extra goodies, I got it the next day!

I can't wait to see some pics.

Dave
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=2118
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:

Your link takes me to this thread :)

I just saw your macro shots. The quality is pretty amazing. I especially like the shot of the penny.

I'm not too familiar with extension tubes. I have close-up filters for my 50mm, is that the same thing? My filters basically let me focus a lot closer than the lens would normally allow. Could you post a link to the extension tubes you bought?

Keep posting.
    Dave
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2004
    dkapp wrote:
    Your link takes me to this thread :)

I just saw your macro shots. The quality is pretty amazing. I especially like the shot of the penny.

I'm not too familiar with extension tubes. I have close-up filters for my 50mm, is that the same thing? My filters basically let me focus a lot closer than the lens would normally allow. Could you post a link to the extension tubes you bought?

Keep posting.
    Dave
    Extension tubes fit between the camera and the body. There are some pros and cons. They work just like increasing the distance between a projector and a lens and are thus using the lens' unaltered optics but with the image projected much larger than the sensor and with the range of focus moved closer to the lens. The minus of this is that the actual amount of light gathered is lessened. The plus vs closeup filteres is that there are no additional optical surfaces. Another plus is that the extension tubes fit all your lenses with no need to buy different diameter sets.

If I had already had a set of 77mm closeup filters I probably would not have bought the extension tubes but withonly a set of 72mm filters and with the thought in my mind that I will buy a 400DO or a 300 2.8L in the near future, a set of extension tubes seemed the way to go.

The ones I bought are here from Adorama. The example pics are insanely impossible. I think I will send a note to Adorama. When you use extension tubes you lose the ability to focus at infinity. With a 12mm extension tube on a 24-70 at 70 the range of possible focus is from aproximately 4 inches the 15 inches. Set at 24mm the range is .5 inches to 1 inch. With the 100-400 and the 12mm extension the range is about 3 feet to maybe 100 feet. (A surprisingly useable range)
  • Options
    spinkspink Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited July 24, 2004
    how much light is lost with extension tubes? a little or a lot?
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2004
    spink wrote:
    how much light is lost with extension tubes? a little or a lot?
    It is hard to quantify because the meter still read the same. Here is a shot I took handheld of the word "how" in your message with a 70mm lens and 68mm of extension tubes. Again it has been cropped so I can display actual pixels intead of reducing the size to show the whole frame.