Options

Santacon Redux

rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
edited December 22, 2011 in Street and Documentary
Encountered Santacon 2011 in San Francisco once again (Redux is reference to having posted a series from Santacon 2010 in this forum). Info link to Santacon: http://santacon.info/About.html. Essentially, it is an event to turn parts of the city into a singles bar and massive pub crawl. There are no socially redeeming purposes beyond this.

i-ShBx7xZ-XL.jpg
#1 For all the fanboys of my snapshots... :lust

i-8TBQScm-XL.jpg
#2 Some of the bars hired security for this one day for crowd control...

i-XJb5JFS-XL.jpg
#3 Security was definitely busy...

i-rkTgJ7f-XL.jpg
#4 And if you did not spend money to control the crowds...

i-MMCxhJT-XL.jpg
#5 Not everyone was there for the singles scene...

i-Px5rQDF-XL.jpg
#6 People could pursue their own agendas...

Comments

• Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2011
    #2 & 3 for me :D
  • Options
    RSLRSL Registered Users Posts: 839 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2011
    Rainbow, #1 is very good William Klein redux. The others are pleasant snapshots.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    edited December 21, 2011
    Looks like another fun event. I love the last one--quite bizarre. The security goons in #3 are also good.
  • Options
    PhotogbikerPhotogbiker Registered Users Posts: 351 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2011
    #6 is much better than others IMHO, and I don't see it as a "pleasant snapshot". You have a main character with arms raised and eye contact, lady to the right seemingly unaware and drinking "coffee", guy to right with bullhorn on his own agenda, guy peeking under raised left arm in a bit of stupor....all good elements and fun. Framing could have been lowered a bit, their bottom halves are probably more interesting than white brick buildings. The fact Moses(?) has a beer in his hand seals the deal. Love it. thumb.gif
  • Options
    SamoBikerSamoBiker Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited December 22, 2011
    I like #6 the best. The juxtaposition of Jesus (?) with the Santas as well as the guy with the megaphone is great.
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2011
    bfjr wrote: »
    #2 & 3 for me :D

Thanks, Ben! These were my two "up close and personal" shots, being within touching range of the subjects.
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2011
    RSL wrote: »
    Rainbow, #1 is very good William Klein redux. The others are pleasant snapshots.

Thanks for the William Klein reference -- increased my knowledge base a little.

I would argue that the others are not just "snapshots" as the series tell a story when taken together. Also, any shots where I get within five feet of my subjects I consider more than snapshots (my favorite street lens is my 17 - 40, more often shot wide on a FF).

BTW, this is the first time I have posted with captions (and a series of six), a beginning foray into the "photo essay".
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2011
    Richard wrote: »
    Looks like another fun event. I love the last one--quite bizarre. The security goons in #3 are also good.

I always consider it a success when I can impress you with "bizarre" in SF since you have seen so much of that there.

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2011
    #6 is much better than others IMHO, and I don't see it as a "pleasant snapshot". You have a main character with arms raised and eye contact, lady to the right seemingly unaware and drinking "coffee", guy to right with bullhorn on his own agenda, guy peeking under raised left arm in a bit of stupor....all good elements and fun. Framing could have been lowered a bit, their bottom halves are probably more interesting than white brick buildings. The fact Moses(?) has a beer in his hand seals the deal. Love it. thumb.gif
    SamoBiker wrote: »
    I like #6 the best. The juxtaposition of Jesus (?) with the Santas as well as the guy with the megaphone is great.

Thanks! "Moses/Jesus" was the reason I snapped BUT the woman with the beverage container being too large to keep her sunglasses on her face really made the shot for me. The megaphone guy was icing...