Options

Average Print markup for your prints

vdotmatrixvdotmatrix Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins
edited January 6, 2012 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I am going through some growing pains and this new PRICING LIST thing is yet another thing I have to think about just right now...

I don't know about what other photographers do but I run into issues when I contract services at a set price, deliver images to the client then they want to order more images from the site.

I just want to get get an idea what people charge for their prints above Bay Photos base price. I mean I just want to get an idea of the range American Photographers doing the bread and butter work who would use SMUG MUG would tweak their prices in this new scheme of things to realize 400%, 600%. 700% or more markup to say they are comfortable with the 15% off the top.

I know this is a subjective question and may need to rephrase it for meaningful responses from SM land.:scratch

Thanks!!

Comments

• Options
    HeroOfCantonHeroOfCanton Registered Users Posts: 208 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2011
    Hi!

I obviously can't give you an official recommendation on the part of SM, you can charge whatever you think your prints are worth :) That being said, we have a whole section devoted to your business here: http://www.dgrin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29 thumb.gif

With best regards,
    Ryan W.
    Quality Engineer - My SmugMug Site

Getting started on DGrin? Go here first!
    Contact a Support Hero: http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/emails/new
  • Options
    KathyinNHKathyinNH Registered Users Posts: 5 Big grins
    edited December 28, 2011
    vdotmatrix wrote: »
    I am going through some growing pains and this new PRICING LIST thing is yet another thing I have to think about just right now...

I don't know about what other photographers do but I run into issues when I contract services at a set price, deliver images to the client then they want to order more images from the site.

I just want to get get an idea what people charge for their prints above Bay Photos base price. I mean I just want to get an idea of the range American Photographers doing the bread and butter work who would use SMUG MUG would tweak their prices in this new scheme of things to realize 400%, 600%. 700% or more markup to say they are comfortable with the 15% off the top.

I know this is a subjective question and may need to rephrase it for meaningful responses from SM land.headscratch.gif

Thanks!!

I too am interested in the average percentage other photographers are using. I am new to this site and was just wondering what the average going percentage is, as I haven't set any of my prices yet and am still setting up my site. Thanks for any help.
  • Options
    jsinonjsinon Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2011
    KathyinNH wrote: »
    I too am interested in the average percentage other photographers are using. I am new to this site and was just wondering what the average going percentage is, as I haven't set any of my prices yet and am still setting up my site. Thanks for any help.

That is the toughest question I dealt with once I decided to try my hand at selling my work. Did I want to "Walmart" them and blow them out the door at rock bottom prices, making my money through sheer volume? Or did I want to place "value" on my art, and price it as just that, a piece of fine art? I wanted my images to be affordable, yet not undervalue it. So, I went with as much as a 450% mark up on the lower priced print sizes, down to 100% for the higher priced items. One bit of advice I've tried to follow, "don't price your work for what you can afford."

Not sure if any of that helps. I hope so.
    Jeff Sinon Photography - "Nature Through The Lens"
    FaceBook
    Twitter
    Blog
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2012
    Thanks for your reply as it will be very helpful to me. I definately don't want to be a Walmart but would eventually like to end up in the high end bracket. For now I just want to be able to make a decent profit to supplement my retirement check. I want to zero in on children and pet photography. Thanks again for your help.
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2012
    Thanks for your reply as it will be very helpful to me. I definately don't want to be a Walmart but would eventually like to end up in the high end bracket. For now I just want to be able to make a decent profit to supplement my retirement check. I want to zero in on children and pet photography. Thanks again for your help.

Someone also told me that it is a lot easier to go down on your prices than to go up. Within reason, I think you are better off starting off in the higher end price wise. If you start low it will be very hard for people to accept the price increase. Good luck!
    FaceBook
    Twitter
    Blog
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2012
    Just curious, do you belong to a camera club other than the one you mentioned. I belong to the Merrimack Valley Camera Club that meets in North Andover, MA every Wednesday. I love that they meet every week. It is a extremely competative club with two competitions a month, one digital and one print. I can't tell you how helpful this club has been, I'm in my fifth year as a member.
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2012
    Just curious, do you belong to a camera club other than the one you mentioned. I belong to the Merrimack Valley Camera Club that meets in North Andover, MA every Wednesday. I love that they meet every week. It is a extremely competative club with two competitions a month, one digital and one print. I can't tell you how helpful this club has been, I'm in my fifth year as a member.
    I do not. I have thought about the Seacoast Camera Club, but they only meet once a month and it is a bit of a drive especially in the winter. There really isn't too much up in my area. Maybe I should start my ownrolleyes1.gif
    FaceBook
    Twitter
    Blog
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2012
    Too bad you don't live closer to hear so you could join MVCC that I belong to, I'm sure you would really like it.

I love you're website. I'm still trying to get mine setup and setup my pricing. In the past I've always taking landscape/seascapes and my big passion is shooting old barns but unfortunately with the economy things just aren't selling and the craft fairs the last couple of years have been dead. So now I am shifting my focus to children and pet portraits because there is more money in those areas. I've taken workshops on children's portraits, wedding portraits and food photography. I'd love to do weddings but I'm really afraid I will miss one of the key shots and there is no room for error in wedding photography, so I guess you would say I'm chicken to venture into weddings even though I've done a few for friends and relatives but they were done for free and I told them I couldn't guarantee how they would come out. Fortunately the ones I have done worked out well with the exception of my son's wedding I blew it on the shot of the bride and groom coming into the reception. Being in the wedding party and outside waiting to enter I had to rush in as they were already entering and only was able to get one shot and it came out very grainey. It really shouldn't have been put in his wedding album but I had no choice it was the only one or I would have to leave it out completely. If I was charging a customer big bucks I would have been in real trouble. Have you done any weddings?

I am currently volunteering at the Salem Animal Rescue League and take the photos for their website. I work with another volunteer who positions the animals and tries to get their attention facing the camera and has to hold them in place then quickly remove her hand as I take the shot. You really need two people for pet photos. I'm loving every minute of it. You'll have to check out my website and let me know what you think of the pet photos and do you think they are good enough to sell. So far I have been doing them free to get photos for my portfolio. My site is KathyRadfordPhotography.smugmug.com I also have one at betterphoto.com?kathyinnh go to the top right corner and check view all photos as I only have a few shots put into the galleries so it is better to check all photos.