Suggestions Please

dlplumerdlplumer Major grinsRegistered Users Posts: 8,072 Major grins
edited December 21, 2011 in Location, Location, Location!
I am driving up the CA coast from SD to SF over the holidays, and I am looking for favorite landscape, seascape venues. Thanks in advance for your ideas.

Dan :D

Comments

  • A-1 BossA-1 Boss Major grins Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2011
    I have spent alot of time in So. Cal. I would recommend corona del mar. It's just south of Newport Beach. There are some big rocks on the beach where the waves come in and water flows over all of the rocks. Headed north Ventura is a pretty cool town the main town itself is like going back in time a little slower and laid back than Orange county and San Diego.
  • A-1 BossA-1 Boss Major grins Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2011
    Oh ya and in San Diego sunset cliffs and La jolla are really cool. Of course all west coast locations are best at sunset.
  • AdamideasAdamideas Big grins Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited December 19, 2011
    +1 to Sunset Cliffs and La Jolla. I live in San Diego and I've driven up to SF several times in the last few years and one of my favorite detours, time permitting, is to spend a portion of the drive along the coast near/thru Big Sur. Route 1 up the coast can be very slow going at certain spots but has wonderful views. I usually take the 5 freeway and cut over to the coast via Paso Robles and would suggest that if time is a factor for you (but still don't try to do it in one day - you will feel rushed). The Carmel and Monterrey areas are really nice as well. If you stay on the coast long enough and hit Santa Cruz, you may consider Big Basin Redwoods State Park. Really though, anywhere you go along the coast will be awesome.

    -Adam
    http://www.apjphotography.com
  • dlplumerdlplumer Major grins Registered Users Posts: 8,072 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2011
    Adamideas wrote: »
    +1 to Sunset Cliffs and La Jolla. I live in San Diego and I've driven up to SF several times in the last few years and one of my favorite detours, time permitting, is to spend a portion of the drive along the coast near/thru Big Sur. Route 1 up the coast can be very slow going at certain spots but has wonderful views. I usually take the 5 freeway and cut over to the coast via Paso Robles and would suggest that if time is a factor for you (but still don't try to do it in one day - you will feel rushed). The Carmel and Monterrey areas are really nice as well. If you stay on the coast long enough and hit Santa Cruz, you may consider Big Basin Redwoods State Park. Really though, anywhere you go along the coast will be awesome.

    -Adam
    http://www.apjphotography.com
    A-1 Boss wrote: »
    Oh ya and in San Diego sunset cliffs and La jolla are really cool. Of course all west coast locations are best at sunset.
    A-1 Boss wrote: »
    I have spent alot of time in So. Cal. I would recommend corona del mar. It's just south of Newport Beach. There are some big rocks on the beach where the waves come in and water flows over all of the rocks. Headed north Ventura is a pretty cool town the main town itself is like going back in time a little slower and laid back than Orange county and San Diego.

    Thanks folks. Really appreciate the suggestions.thumb.gif
  • kdogkdog artistically challenged San Jose, CAAdministrators Posts: 11,653 moderator
    edited December 20, 2011
    Dan, seen this thread? http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=211758

    Maybe we can meet there.
  • dlplumerdlplumer Major grins Registered Users Posts: 8,072 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2011
    That's the portal at Pfeiffer Beach I believe, which I am definitely planning on hitting. We would love to meet up with you. We will get there around 1/1/2012 give or take a day. We can connect directly to firm up a day :Ddeal.gif
  • kdogkdog artistically challenged San Jose, CAAdministrators Posts: 11,653 moderator
    edited December 20, 2011
    dlplumer wrote: »
    That's the portal at Pfeiffer Beach I believe
    Indeed. Same place I shot this.

    IMG9653-L.jpg

    That timeframe should work for me. We're actually supposed to be skiing then. But so far there's no snow and none predicted, so I should be able to do this. Please keep me posted on your plans. It would be great to hook up.
  • dlplumerdlplumer Major grins Registered Users Posts: 8,072 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2011
    kdog wrote: »
    Indeed. Same place I shot this.

    IMG9653-L.jpg

    That timeframe should work for me. We're actually supposed to be skiing then. But so far there's no snow and none predicted, so I should be able to do this. Please keep me posted on your plans. It would be great to hook up.

    Will do. How difficult is it to get down to the beach, Joel?
  • kdogkdog artistically challenged San Jose, CAAdministrators Posts: 11,653 moderator
    edited December 20, 2011
    dlplumer wrote: »
    Will do. How difficult is it to get down to the beach, Joel?

    It's not to bad, Dan. If you have a rock climbing harness, and maybe some waterproof rock climbing shoes, you won't need them here. It's a hundred yards or so of flat land. rolleyes1.gif
  • dlplumerdlplumer Major grins Registered Users Posts: 8,072 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2011
    kdog wrote: »
    It's not to bad, Dan. If you have a rock climbing harness, and maybe some waterproof rock climbing shoes, you won't need them here. It's a hundred yards or so of flat land. rolleyes1.gif
    You had me for a sec. rolleyes1.gif
  • DsrtVWDsrtVW Light Stalking Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2011
    Dan if you stop in Pismo Beach or Pacific Grove near Monterey you can catch the Monarch Butterflies HWY 101
    http://www.monarchbutterfly.org/
    Morro Bay and Morro Rock San Simeon HWY 1
    Point Lobos near Monterey is a good spot as are most points south of there on Hwy 1. Are you taking Hwy 1 OR 101?

    Elephants Seals north of Santa Cruz HWY 1
    http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=523
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • kdogkdog artistically challenged San Jose, CAAdministrators Posts: 11,653 moderator
    edited December 21, 2011
    ^^ Great thoughts, Chris! thumb.gif
  • dlplumerdlplumer Major grins Registered Users Posts: 8,072 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2011
    Good suggestions Chris. Thank you.
Sign In or Register to comment.