Question for Challenge Forum Community

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited December 21, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
It's been quite a while since I participated in a challenge on account of me becoming a mod. Mods are not allowed to participate. :cry Makes sense.

I really miss shooting the challenges so I asked Sherstone if it's cool with him if I shoot the themes and post my images in the forum for feedback but not actually enter them in the Challenge. He said it was cool but we both agreed it would be a good idea that I get the OK from you all before I do.

So I'm asking if it's OK with you guys that I shoot and share. I won't be hurt if you guys think its not a good idea.

Let me know.

Thanks.

-Alex
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2011
    Why can't mods participate. As long as they are not voting for themselves...who cares.
    It is all just for fun.
    It is not like anybody is winning new cars or anything.
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2011
    zoomer wrote: »
    Why can't mods participate. As long as they are not voting for themselves...who cares.
    It is all just for fun.
    It is not like anybody is winning new cars or anything.

I actually agree with this totally! So you're a Mod?! The Only Mod that "I" don't want participating is Sean!:D

Otherwise you doing so would seem to be nothing but ego stroking~
    tom wise
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2011
    There are prizes involved.

Mods aren't eligible to win prizes. That's not going to change. deal.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2011
    I'm fairly new at this, but I certainly wouldn't have any
    objections. Just use "TonyCooper" as your sign-in name
    and submit something really spectacular.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2011
    TonyCooper wrote: »
    I'm fairly new at this, but I certainly wouldn't have any
    objections. Just use "TonyCooper" as your sign-in name
    and submit something really spectacular.

What? He'll have to borrow that Groucho-Mask!
    tom wise
  • billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2011
    I'd welcome the mods to post in the forums. It could add a new perspective to each challenge. But...

Why not allow the mods to participate? It could add a new dimension to the entry field and their comments might add depth, too.

If the deal.gif no prizes deal.gif rule stands, simply skip over them in the placing and award the prizes to the non-mods who would have won if the mods weren't playing. You could even allow their DSS placing to enter them in the Mega with the same deal.gifno prizes deal.gif rule applying.

BTW... what's a mod?
    {just kidding}
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2011
    Oh crap. I didn't mean this to become a big deal. Honestly, I don't mind not competing in the challenges. I really just want to be able to participate in the challenges and interact with the community. That's the part I miss.

My Smug Site
  • PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2011
    I think it would be great to have you participate in the forums... :)
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
    www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com
  • sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,959 moderator
    edited December 19, 2011
    PedalGirl wrote: »
    I think it would be great to have you participate in the forums... :)

15524779-Ti.gif I enjoy seeing what others are doing for a particular challenge and would enjoy seeing what you would enter. And thank you very much for serving as a mod!

Gretchen
  • sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2011
    angevin1 wrote: »
    The Only Mod that "I" don't want participating is Sean!:D

You are too kind Tom 9496500-Ti.gif

Lets just keep the discussion centred on if Alex has favour in sharing. Like DavidTO has said winning prizes and therefore the inability to participate in a challenge or contest will not change. The main reason I even felt it was a good idea for Alex to ask is so everything is up front and on the table, then no one can feel slighted.
  • ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2011
    I'll play devil's advocate and say, if you're going to post your tentative entries to the challenges in the challenge forum section, but not enter them into the challenge itself, you might take on more of an "I'm a mod, and this is how I would do it, if I were allowed to do it" air. I'm not saying you would mean it this way, I'm saying it might be seen more like that. If you're going to post them in the forum, post them in the challenge entry gallery as well, and simply forego the prizes when/if you win. I miss your entries.
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • Troy RaymondTroy Raymond Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2011
    I'm a mod on another forum and do participate in the 'contest' when it happens. I do post a photo, but also 'not eligible' in the post. It's all for fun!
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited December 19, 2011
    aww...I wondered where you disappeared to Alex! I think it wouldn't be a problem to just post a thread with your versions of how you interperate the challenge and get feed back or give tips on how you did something! I think that is the most fun part of this community and how we learn from each other! I would do that if it ever came up that way. No harm in showing what you can do with a challenge!
  • JennJenn Registered Users Posts: 1,009 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2011
    I'd like to see what you would do and what Sean would do in the challenges, but then I'd like to know what you did, how you did it, and why, so I could learn to take better photographs myself. I want to learn from people who are better at it than I am, which is probably most everyone, here.

I'm not sure how entering the image in the challenge would work with the rules and all, though.
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    Panasonic Lumix 10x DMC-TZ3 :photo
    Leica Mega O.I.S./28mm WIDE :smile6
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2011
    Thanks all. As I said, I don't want to enter my images. No point really. For me, participating in the forum, sharing ideas, etc. is more than enough of a prize for me.

My Smug Site
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2011
    Thanks all. As I said, I don't want to enter my images. No point really. For me, participating in the forum, sharing ideas, etc. is more than enough of a prize for me.

:cry That's SO sweet!
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • endurodogendurodog Registered Users Posts: 183 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2011
    I'm all for seeing anyones take on a challange, please post your take on them even if you can't enter.
    edited December 20, 2011
    DavidTO wrote: »
    :cry That's SO sweet!

What can I say... I'm a sweet guy. BTW >>> :buttkiss

My Smug Site
  • kwickerskwickers Registered Users Posts: 310 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2011
    The more the merrier, participate in any way you want. :-)
    Photos.KeithWickersham.com
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2011
    I understand the rule that mods can't win prizes, but why not enter be judged and if you win the prize goes to second place?

I want to see the best of the best images and allow everyone to participate. It ain't like the mods are getting a fortune to do what they do. :D

Post away!!!!

Sam
  • SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2011
    I've seen your work. Fantastic! I'd love to see what you can come up with.
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2011
    Alex, I love seeing your take on a theme. Perhaps you could assuage the worries of those who might think that you are setting the pace by not being the first to post. Bring it on....we learn from you.

Chris
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.