Is it 2011 or 1865?

rteest42rteest42 Registered Users Posts: 540 Major grins
edited December 22, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
Hey there, I thought I would toss out this fun shot I took the other day, during the Civil War...

IMG4206-Edi12t-2-M.jpg

This is the movie set of Lincoln, Steven Spielberg's movie.

They have turned one of my favorite shooting locations into the winter of 1865 and while the set isn't being used they have allowed people down into Old Towne. I haven't posted many of the images I took yet, but if you wander through the gallery, you can see what it looks like, circa 2011 as well!

Definitely taken within the challenge period... maybe....not truly an optical illusion per se, :rofl:rofl

Comments

• GretaPicsGretaPics Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2011
    The image is not visible on my end but sounds interesting. GP
  • rteest42rteest42 Registered Users Posts: 540 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2011
    Greta, you can't see it?? Weird... Could it be because digital wasn't around in 1865? Laughing.gif

How about anyone else? It is visible to me in my post...here is a link to see it...it is the FIRST image in the gallery...

http://www.rteest42.com/ImagesToOwn/Virginia/Old-Towne-Petersburg-VA/10168155_8pGT5Q#1640376940_25gsC3p
  • PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2011
    It's visible to me in the post.
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2011
    Pupator wrote: »
    It's visible to me in the post.

Same here!
    tom wise
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2011
    What would put this really over the top would be some obvious anachronisms-- a car driving by, or a stagehand eating lunch.

As it is, it's a decent sense of place (PP is a little much for me, but YMMV.), but lacks a strong focal element to really show that it is an "illusion."
  • lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2011
    I love the way you presented this: "I thought I would toss out this fun shot I took the other day, during the Civil War..."

In my head, to make it 1865 as a photograph it would need to be b/w or sepia toned (as opposed to a color movie where you are "in" the time period). Otherwise, I agree with MarkR about it needing a stronger element to convey the illusion.
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • rteest42rteest42 Registered Users Posts: 540 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2011
    Thanks, Guys... I don't think I am even thinking about using this for the challenge--it's a tough challenge, to me, I am so busy at work that I really haven't focused on anything for it.

I just happened to have gone down the street to take these shots the other morning...I wish I had seen someone wandering at that point!

I've just been goofing with the PP and color/sepia etc...if I can convince my dd to go down tomorrow before she heads to NYC for the holidays, I MAY attempt something if I can set her in exactly the same location, because it has turned back into a parking lot. The set dressers have left nothing but a bit of mulch in the cobble stones, the place is totally returned to this century!

It is going to be a beautiful film, based on locations alone (and the fact that Daniel Day Lewis appears to be channeling Lincoln...)