Options

Having Trouble With Logo

alexiacalexiac Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
edited December 21, 2011 in Finishing School
I hope I am posting this in the proper area on the forum, if not I appoligize. I'm a newbie to smugmug & am in the process of customizing my site. I'm having difficulty perfecting the final phase of my logo. I have an image that I'd like to use as part of my header, printmark, watermark, etc. However, it is a jpg with a white background. I have learned how to make the background transparent & save to a PNG but unfortunately after removing the background, the image has rough jagged edges. Also, the image is silver & fades in a couple of areas causing those areas of the image to disappear as well when changing the background to transparent. I have tried to fix these images myself using several different adobe Photoshop programs, gimp & others but cannot seem to make it look as professional as it needs to look to be on my website, photos, business cards, etc. I'm also not sure if it needs to be saved as different sizes according to what it will be used for. I'd really like to get past this issue so i can move on to different areas of my site & even order business cards with my logo but can't seem to find the means. If someone could please offer me some help I would really appreciate it!

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2011
    It sounds like your error is in the selection stage, before removing the whit background. I'd go back to that step, zoom in to the near-pixel level, and make sure that you're only selecting the right things. If you post the image, folks here can take a look and tell you the best way to get it done.
  • Options
    alexiacalexiac Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited December 21, 2011
    Pupator,

Thanks so much for your reply! :D I have attached an original copy of the image. What I'd like to do is make the background transparent (keeping the entire image), and still have the image appear as clean & smoothed around the edges as the original did. Once I've completed that, I'll incorporate my name somehow & then post on my site in several different areas.

Thanks!!
  • Options
    PeanoPeano Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2011
    You can get a clean extraction by using the pen tool to create a vector mask. If you're not handy with the pen tool (it's difficult to learn), there are online services that will do that very cheaply. Just search for clipping path services.

Better yet, have someone create that logo as a vector object in Illustrator. A competent designer will know how to preserve the edges that are currently lost due to clipping.
  • Options
    BinaryFxBinaryFx Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2011
    Did you create the logo in a vector program like Adobe Illustrator? Is the original a vector or raster/pixel based? What are the pixel dimensions of the largest original version that you have? Printing the image and displaying it on a website banner will have two very different requirements for the width/height in pixels.

Stephen Marsh